Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD info

45Fundi

Howdy

I'm experienced with 1911, P-35, revolvers, but this is my first plastic gun and wanted to know ANY advice on maintenance, operation, etc. that some one who is old school with old school experience might not know about this XD.

Are there special lube points that are unusual? I noticed it appears to have metal frame rails up front, but plastic frame rails in the rear? Do the plastic ones need special attention? Are they prone to damage or wear?

What lubes do you need and where? I tend to use alot of TW25 on my steel guns and CLP where the TW25 doesn't work.

Do certain solvents (Gun Scrubber) etc. cause harm to the plastic frame?

Take down is strange to me. I lubed the rails and slide and put them together (without the barrel and springs) to just move the lube around on/into the frame rails and slide rail slots and it took me forever to get the thing apart and I was worried about damaging it. Any Do's and Don't's ?

God Bless

Lubrication is very similar to a GLOCK http://www.glockmeister.com/glubric.shtml

Use oil very sparingly, definitely not like you lubricate your 1911's. Trigger Bar/Connector very important to lubricate.

I don't recommend Gun Scrubber or Brake Cleaner on the Polymer. Even the non-chlorinated varieties. You'll probably get different opinions on that.

I really like Brian Enos regular viscosity Slide Glide for XD's GLOCKS and other "loose fitting" pistols.

Edited by baerburtchell

The owners manual says nothing. I'll check again on the XD forums but did not feel that the info I found in the searches there was good info, so I decided to just go to the top to post a my own question and came to this forum because it appears to have the most knowledgeable shooters. I guess I'll go back over to the XD forums and create a thread there.

Edited by 45Fundi

Nothing tricky about it. Solvents never touch my pistols for cleaning.

I use slide Enos Slide Glide on the rails, barrel and sear. I use an ultra ultra thin coat of Gun Butter on the striker. The more crap you put in your gun the more is gathers crap to jam it up. I see a lot of XD's and the only ones that are really nasty are the ones that people get way carried away with "products."

I hope that helps.

Geez, I guess my opinion didn't count for much :roflol:

It worked for me, if that counts for anything. :)

Cool. Glad it helped. :cheers:

The XD manual doesn't show much, that's why I put the GLOCK link. The lubrication points are basically the same. I own both an XD 9 and a GLOCK 34.

My comment in my above post was meant to be "light hearted". Just having fun.

Don't leave your slide in the ultrasonic cleaner too long unless you like to repaint your sights :roflol:

I clean the barrel with Hoppes #9 and then the rest of the gun with CLP. About every other month, I toss it in the ultrasonic cleaner at work and get it all super clean.

Howdy

I'm experienced with 1911, P-35, revolvers, but this is my first plastic gun and wanted to know ANY advice on maintenance, operation, etc. that some one who is old school with old school experience might not know about this XD.

Are there special lube points that are unusual? I noticed it appears to have metal frame rails up front, but plastic frame rails in the rear? Do the plastic ones need special attention? Are they prone to damage or wear?

What lubes do you need and where? I tend to use alot of TW25 on my steel guns and CLP where the TW25 doesn't work.

Do certain solvents (Gun Scrubber) etc. cause harm to the plastic frame?

Take down is strange to me. I lubed the rails and slide and put them together (without the barrel and springs) to just move the lube around on/into the frame rails and slide rail slots and it took me forever to get the thing apart and I was worried about damaging it. Any Do's and Don't's ?

God Bless

I use Mil-Comm on my Glocks. I also own an XD. Mil-Comm makes non-toxic cleaners and lubes. Okay, I sell it, but if I didn't like it, I wouldn't be selling it.

One of the funny things about lubes and cleaners is, every experienced shooter has a "I had to try it shelf", chock full of lubes, cleaners, etc. If you send me a self-addressed stamped envelope, I'll send you a couple of samples of Mil-Comm TW-25b lube to try. If you don't like it, pass it on or throw it away. It only cost you two stamps. I think you'll become a believer.

Go to my site, and click on "Contact Us" link.

Good luck!

Edited by MLE-ShootingSports

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, sorry its taken so long for me to respond, for some reason I never get email notifications even tho I "think" I've set up my profile for it.

I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE INFO! I was feeling a little lonely there for awhile ;-)

God Bless

I use Gun Scrubber on my XD and have had no problems so far. I have had the gun for about 2 years. I use cheap Hoppes oil for lubrication. I add a little on the rails and a drop over the springs. No worries.

Having said that......

I used the gun at the 2007 Area 8. I was running out of time packing and didn't get time to properly clean/lube the gun. I figured I'd take care of that in my hotel room. Well, after getting to the hotel and realizing I forgot my cleaning stuff, I had to run the gun as-is. I had no malfunctions or FTF. Technology is awesome!