Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Expenditure of Ammunition

Blueridge

I was wondering how much ammunition is expended by shooters at matches. I am specifically curious to find out how many more rounds are used beyond what is minimum required. I know that the number can be affected by re-shoots, misses, etc...

so it may be hard to get better than a general idea.

Also, how much ammunition do people take to a match so that they feel comfortable they have enough?

I hope that I have worded both questions well.

Local matches, I take 50-100 rounds more than the usual amount at that match. Major matches, I take twice the posted round count. I typically dont use more than 10 rounds or so more than the advertised max but its nice to have. If there is a lot of stell or swingers , then you might need more based on your comfort shooting those type targets.

Local matches, I take 50-100 rounds more than the usual amount at that match. Major matches, I take twice the posted round count. I typically dont use more than 10 rounds or so more than the advertised max but its nice to have. If there is a lot of stell or swingers , then you might need more based on your comfort shooting those type targets.

That about covers it for me. I take extra, and even more as the match fee goes up.

Some of the guys I shoot with can announce at the conclusion of the match exactly how many rounds they fired. I don't keep track of it. As long as I have a few to take back home I figure I brought enough.

DOUBLE the stated round count or more, no matter what. One or two re-shoots and you could be OUT of ammo before you finish. It happens, I have had 3 re-shoots in one match before and ended up well over 100 rounds over the stated round count for the match. On the last stage I had to borrow 20 rounds to fill a third mag in case I dropped the reload mag, it messes with your head. You will eventually use them, no need to not have them on hand. If the weight of the extra ammo is a problem leave them in the car, but at least you can finish if you need them.

For each stage of a match I allways have more than twice what is required to shoot the stage. ...So on the last stage of a match I may have 60 rounds on my belt + what is in the gun to start.

Im flying to a match I will take 450 rounds for the 300 required at Area 2

You don't want to be loading up for the last two or three stages and have to start counting rounds in the bag.

JF

DOUBLE the stated round count or more, no matter what. One or two re-shoots and you could be OUT of ammo before you finish. It happens, I have had 3 re-shoots in one match before and ended up well over 100 rounds over the stated round count for the match. On the last stage I had to borrow 20 rounds to fill a third mag in case I dropped the reload mag, it messes with your head. You will eventually use them, no need to not have them on hand. If the weight of the extra ammo is a problem leave them in the car, but at least you can finish if you need them.

I'm now in Howard's camp. I was at the Milan match and had a diode die in my C-More. I replaced the diode and sighted the gun in... as many of you know I run one of those sideways mounts and sighting can be a bit tricky... I was tired and didn't nail it right away so I expended more rounds than I would have liked. Well then there are the trust factor shots... I shot some extra rounds to build confidence that it would hold and it wasn't a electronic problem eating diodes. I guess it was about the third stage I shot... there was a lot of steel and I was off a bit... okay, I was off a lot, not the dot mind you but me. I must have thrown 10 extra shots on one stage. :surprise: I loaded the big sticks back up and my 21 rounders and looked at the ammo I had left. :unsure: I said to my mates that I think I'm going to be short. Okay, no more wasted shots... I think I threw three more wasted shots from that point on. B y the second to last stage I knew I was going to be short and went scrounging threw the bag. I found some in the mag pouches, some in dif pockets and some in the bottom of the bag. The last stage was one of my best, and it sounded like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I was shooting... bang bang pop, boom bang bang pop pop, so I get done and UASC... three rounds left in the stick. :surprise:

Lesson learned... for a major I will now take double + 50 and leave most of the extra in the car, so I don't have to lug it. ;)

For local matches I only add 10-20% more ammo. For bigger matches I always add at least 50-75% more ammo. Case in point, there is nothing worse than seeing your pile dwindle during a match because of makeup shots, swingers, or reshoots and the ammo you brought is the only ammo that your pistol will eat sufficiently. When I shot in the CT IDPA State match I didn't bring enough ammo with me and ended up using some factory ammo that I purchased at a local Walmart the day prior (paranoia helps I guess). It's not like I could fly back to NM and pick up more bullets for the match. I sure learned my lesson that day.

I always bring double, reasons being:

1) Reshoots

2) Shootoffs

3) Decide to shoot after the match with some buddies (Local Match)

4) Many times someone else has a reshoot and does not have enough ammo, so I am always happy to loan them ammo to save their day

5) If I am driving, who cares, leave the extra in the car if you don't need it anyway.

6) If I am flying, I am spending a LOT OF MONEY and want to make sure I have MY ammo if needed

I always bring double, reasons being:

1) Reshoots

2) Shootoffs

3) Decide to shoot after the match with some buddies (Local Match)

4) Many times someone else has a reshoot and does not have enough ammo, so I am always happy to loan them ammo to save their day

5) If I am driving, who cares, leave the extra in the car if you don't need it anyway.

6) If I am flying, I am spending a LOT OF MONEY and want to make sure I have MY ammo if needed

I usually have a case of ammo in the vehicle anyhow. Its easier than hauling it in and out of the house, and that way its already there if I get a chance to run out to the farm and do a little plinking.

Edited by bbbean

We always say "Theres no such thing as too much ammo because when you need ammo........YOU NEED AMMO!"

Unless you're lugging it all over creation at a match where there's a lot of soft sand then you count and say "DO I really need this much?"

I would say a safe bet is 50% more than the match calls for.

JK

Our local matches range from about 140 to 190 rounds. I usually always take 300 with me. I will take 200 on the field of honor and leave 100 in the car. You never know when you will need to re-shoot or let a buddy borrow a few rounds. I NEVER want to run out of ammo!

I try to bring enough to shoot the match twice, plus a small cushion. That way if I run into trouble or someone else does and needs ammo, it's covered.

I understand bringing 2-times the amount of ammo, but what is the small cushion for? Is the cushion some sort of secret USPSA currency that I am unaware of? Maybe I'm reading too mujch into this and the cushion is for sitting on. :rolleyes:

Maybe It's been a long day and I'm being an idiot? :P

I bring as much as my ammo bag can hold- 700 rounds or so. I learned that after I had to drop out of a man on man shoot due to lack of ammo- and I was winning :angry2: . I see new shooters that don't bring enough and I want to help them out.