Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CHA-LEE's Tale

CHA-LEE

Since I had the day off on Monday I went out to the range to do some live fire practice and blaster testing. Since I was still physically beat up from the long UT State Match weekend I decided to setup some stand & shoot drills to focus only on shooting and transitions. It was actually nice to produce some good shooting that day to get my confidence back up.

While there I was able to shoot all of my Limited guns back to back to compare their performance against one another. Blasters 1, 2, & 4 all shot very similar to one another in felt recoil. I still had a 20lb hammer spring in the #3 Limited blaster so the recoil and sight tracking was different on that one. The #3 Limited blaster has been on moth balls since the Colorado State match last year when the rear sight broke and screwed me on several stages. I fixed the Bowmar style rear sight on that one not long after I broke it, but I just don’t trust that style of rear sight to use in major matches anymore. I might bust that bad boy out again for local matches or practice in the near future. The frame rail beat down project on the #1 Limited blaster didn’t yield much better accuracy than it had before. I am officially considering the #1 Limited blaster a lost cause. The next thing that will happen on the #1 will be a Frame/Slide/Barrel replacement but that will need to wait until winter time.

I have also been testing the 510C red dot on my open gun and it was having brass ejection issues due to how much the bottom of the sight covers up the ejection port. I put an EGW HD extractor and tuned the ejector prong in an attempt to get the brass to eject in a 2:30 – 3:00 O’clock trajectory. The live fire testing had about 60% of the brass getting thrown out at 3:00 O’clock but the rest were still hitting the under side of the sight and getting thrown in random directions. I might do another round of Extractor/Ejector tuning to get the brass to eject at a consistent trajectory, but I am starting to think this is a lost cause. I will probably end up putting the Delta Point Pro red dot back on it. At least until the Holosun 507C releases so I can test that circle dot setup. This will also likely be a winter time project.

When I got back home I cleaned up all my blasters and got my gear reworked and ready for the Colorado State match this coming weekend. I am going to purposefully take it easy this week to fully recover from the UT State match. That and I am not going to spend a crap ton of time on the range this Friday. Hopefully doing these two things will allow me to perform by best this weekend.

Edited by CHA-LEE

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Vanniek71 said:

Those 507C’s are out. Been looking at messing with one on my PCC. Optics Planet has them at least.

Just checked, looks like 5-7 weeks ship time, so they must be pre order

I thought I read those 507c are recalled, they are just shutting off. 

1 hour ago, Vanniek71 said:

Those 507C’s are out. Been looking at messing with one on my PCC. Optics Planet has them at least.

Just checked, looks like 5-7 weeks ship time, so they must be pre order

The 507C's have been on a "5-7" week ship delay since the start of the year. The only ones I have seen out there are the people getting them for reviews. I called Holosun 3 months ago and asked when they would be readily available and they said "in about a month". Good thing I wasn't holding my breath on that release date......

507C availability whining aside, I don't mind waiting if the delay is due to making the product solid. There could be issues they are working on fixing before they blast it out to the masses. I can respect that strategy as its usually not good when consumers end up being the test bed for half baked products.

Edited by CHA-LEE

8 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

The 507C's have been on a "5-7" week ship delay since the start of the year. The only ones I have seen out there are the people getting them for reviews. I called Holosun 3 months ago and asked when they would be readily available and they said "in about a month". Good thing I wasn't holding my breath on that release date......

507C availability whining aside, I don't mind waiting if the delay is due to making the product solid. There could be issues they are working on fixing before they blast it out to the masses. I can respect that strategy as its usually not good when consumers end up being the test bed for half baked products.

Oh I agree, I just saw them for sale and assumed they were until I dug in to it a bit.

Im more than happy to wait for a solid product!

I was able to finalize the rebuild of my Dillon XL650 last night. Even though the shell plate is the only thing that broke I figured it was time to do a bunch of proactive replacements given how much ammo I have loaded on this bad boy. Yes I realize that Dillon has a no BS warranty and I could have shipped it back to them to refresh for little to no money. But I would rather do the work myself and don’t mind paying for replacement parts. This press has paid for itself an untold number of times in ammo produced so I don’t have any reservations on spending some $$$ to rebuild it.

I started off by replacing the powder measure with a new unit. The original one was getting really floppy in the shaft area where it gets pushed up and down by the funnel die. This movement was also creating random cases with crazy amounts of bell due to misalignment between the die and the floppy shaft.

After that I tackled the shell plate and ram area. I replaced the ram plate assembly as well as the shell plate. After removing the ram plate assembly and looking at the wear on the case feeder slide I am glad I replaced it. The guides that the case feeder slide moves across had deep grooves worn into it from the endless back and forth motion. Then I replaced the aluminum indexing arm that shifts the next piece of brass from the case feeding tube to the ram plate. The corner of that aluminum piece that gets pushed in by the plastic case feeder slide was worn way down.

After getting it all back together I loaded some test ammo to check the settings and everything needed readjusted as expected. That is when I found that my crimp die had worn a ring in it and it was causing a “Step” in the case mouth during the crimp process. I ordered a new Crimp and Sizing die just in case that might cause some problems as well. After putting in the new crimp die and adjusting all the other dies this bad boy is back in service making high quality ammo.

Next week I will get back into the swing of things and do some multi thousand round reloading sessions to see how it’s really functioning. So far it’s looking like everything is back to “Normal”. We will see how it goes next week. Either way I am glad to have this press back up and running.

Edited by CHA-LEE

The Colorado State Championships was this past weekend. This match was hosted by the Colorado Rifle Club in Byers. This match has been hosted at the same range for several years now and they make the event better every year. Last year’s match was biased towards the “Hoser” end of the stage type spectrum. This year’s match was totally opposite of that being heavily biased towards the “Accuracy” spectrum. Every single stage had a mixture of medium to hard shots with a boat load of hard cover and no shoots. There really wasn’t any stage where you could unleash aggressive rage blasting. While walking the stages on Friday I was talking to several competitors shooting that day and mention of racking up double digit misses was a common topic. Aiming hard the whole time at this match was going to be the primary requirement.

I shot the match on the weekend schedule and started on Stage 6. This was really the only stage in the match were you had some close targets to shoot aggressively. I pushed the envelope a little too hard on this stage and racked up 2 No Shoot hits. One was just barely a perf break and the other was a solid 5 – 6 inches into the no shoot trigger mash. Starting off this match with two no shoots sucked but I did my best to shake it off and keep at it. I shot several more stages clean but also had a lot of extra shots to ensure getting hits. With most of the stages having a high hit factor in the 5 – 6 HF range I felt like the extra shots were worth the risk in stage time. Things were going fairly well until I got to stage 13 and had a prop malfunction that caused a reshoot. My reshoot didn’t go as well and I also racked up a miss but couldn’t make it up because I had already left the position. I finished Saturday on Stage 1 which had an evil over the top swinger set at 20+ yards that was also blocked by no shoots. I got all of my hits on that stage but wasted some time missing the activating steel.

On Sunday we started on stage 2 which consisted of an interesting shoot two targets under a wall situation. You could start anywhere inside the shooting area so some shooters started in the front and finished prone and others started in the back and chose to kneel then get back up. I chose to kneel as it seemed less awkward of a stage plan. I almost ran past a target towards the end of the stage which cost me some time but I survived. The next stage went fairly well then the Standards Stage completely ate my lunch. This was a two string Virginia count stage where you shot each target once, reloaded, then shot them once again Strong Hand only. On the first string, I shot the array freestyle then thought I was done. Dismounted the gun for a few seconds then realized that I still needed to reload and reengage the array Strong hand. This was a super novice mistake and I still don’t understand why it happened. I think one aspect is that I thought that I missed my first shot in the array and I was thinking about that the whole time while shooting the rest of the targets. The fail boat process continued on the second string which was one shot on each target Weak Hand only. I racked up 2 misses on the Weak Hand string simply because I couldn’t hold the sights steady enough on the 10 yard head shots. This stage ate my lunch both in wasted time and three misses. After that we had our final stage which was another aiming contest which I succeeded in getting all my hits.

I felt that my overall performance in this match wasn’t up to par simply because of the shot difficulty on every stage. There wasn’t anywhere within this match where you could push aggression and that in itself resulted in what I would consider some lazy movement and transitions. I watch my video and the transitions are turtle slow and the foot movement isn’t being performed with aggression. This kind of makes sense because every stage plan and strategy was more of “I need to survive this stage” verses “Let’s make it happen with some aggression”. These ultra aiming stages were outside of my comfort zone for sure. This is actually a good thing as it gives me some more target presentation and shooting position scenarios to practice in live fire. At the end I racked up 4 misses and 2 no shoots. With 3 of the misses being on the Weak Hand portion of the Standards stage I am actually relatively happy with the 1 miss and 2 no shoots on all of the other stages. The shooting was difficult in this match and I knew everyone was going to rack up penalties. A big part of where you would finish would be based on how many points you gave away in shooting penalties.

When all of the shooting was done, I ended up 2nd overall in Limited. Bob Krogh laid the smack down once again with winning Limited by a 10% margin. I knew Bob was going to be very hard to beat at this match because this type of super accurate shooting is right in his wheel house. Congrats to him on a job well done!!! This was a difficult shooting match and even he didn’t shoot it clean. When I reviewed the results of the shooters finishing in the middle of the pack Mike counts in the 20 – 30 range were very common. The shooting difficulty in this match brutalized a lot of people. Hopefully that is a wake up call for most that being able to shoot accurately on demand is an important skill to have.

45 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

Stage 2 was interesting to watch. The WSB briefing indicated that the blue mat had to remain in the course and could not be removed.

That is interesting. When my squad got to that stage the RO's stated that the blue mat could be removed from the shooting area by the competitor. I was glad for this because it had rained the night before and this was our first stage in the morning. The blue mat was soaking wet and given my stage plan it was  more of a trip hazard than anything else. 

I think that match had me erring too much on the side of shooting conservative. As in, maybe a couple more mike's would have been ok if my times were consistently shorter. I made up an arbitrary limit on penalties for myself before the match, which may have been dumb.

You seemed dailed back a bit as well during the match (to my eye). I'm wondering, if you could shoot the match over again would you push differently or do you think you shot the match with the right balance?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, obsessiveshooter said:

I think that match had me erring too much on the side of shooting conservative. As in, maybe a couple more mike's would have been ok if my times were consistently shorter. I made up an arbitrary limit on penalties for myself before the match, which may have been dumb.

You seemed dailed back a bit as well during the match (to my eye). I'm wondering, if you could shoot the match over again would you push differently or do you think you shot the match with the right balance?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I was absolutely dialing it back from a shooting aggression standpoint. When the majority of the stages were in the 5 Hit Factor range you can't push aggression and risk eating misses. With a hit factor of 5 every miss is worth 3 seconds in stage time. Anyone would be hard pressed to "Shoot" the difficult targets within each stage 3 seconds faster without risking more than a single miss or combination of misses and no shoots. At 5 Hit Factor Points are a premium and stage time is a secondary priority. Dialing back the shooting aggression and taking extra shots as needed to guarantee hits was the best strategy.

If the stage hit factors were higher then pushing aggression while risking misses becomes more viable, but its still not the best plan to welcome misses. The shooters finishing at the top of the heap at any major match are never going to risk racking up mikes intentionally by shooting too aggressive. You still need points to divide by a rock star stage time.  

Well the 2018 Area 4 Champs are now in the books. I had a so-so overall performance at this match. The hot and humid weather was kicking my butt and along with that dealing with the “Sticky Hands” situation that screwed me on one stage royally. The stages were a lot of fun to shoot and challenging. I just wish that I could have pulled it together better in the heat. I started off the match on Stage 8 which was a pretty low hit factor stage due to a lot of scrambling and aiming. With this being first thing in the morning the lighting was less than optimal and I couldn’t see my sights worth a crap, especially on the shadow targets. This made me shoot ultra slow on the head shot targets. I got my hits but the stage time was way off the pace due to the over aiming in the crappy lighting. It always sucks to start off a major with a crappy stage run like that. Then on stage 10 I had a mystery mike on another shadow target. What irked me on that stage is that I had 29 Alpha and one fricken Mike. After that I started settling into a groove and was produced pretty good stage runs to finish out the day. On the all steel speed shoot stage I had a great run in the low 9 second range which was at least 2 seconds faster than everyone else in Limited up to that point. Then that evening Stage 1 got thrown out because misses through walls were being scored incorrectly since Thursday. Since the Thursday and Friday people couldn’t reshoot the stage it got tossed out. That was a bummer because I would have gained at least 10 – 15 match points on my competition.

Day 2 started off with a total train wreck of a run on one of the highest hit factor stages in the match. This was stage 4 which had a bunch of rage blasting, two swingers and some plates at the end. You started by picking up your gun off of a barrel. When I picked up the gun I got a poor strong hand registration on the grip and the sight alignment was jacked up the whole run. The front sight was right in the notch to the point that the fiber was cut in half by the right side of the rear notch. My hands were too sticky to readjust my grip on the gun so I tried powering through it but it was a disaster. I edge hit the first popper but it didn’t go down so I had to reengage it and wait for the swinger to come out. Then I ended up with a miss on that swinger even though I was shooting at it deliberately. At the end of the stage the first shot on each plate was a miss and I had to steer the sights back to alignment to make it up. The magnitude of failboat on this one stage was monumental. After the match was over I reshot this stage for fun and crushed it with a 10.7 hit factor which would have won the stage easily. I lost 50+ match points on this one stage alone which I knew had sunk my chances of finishing in the top 3.

After that buffoon show I was pretty much done with the match and coasted through the remaining 3 stages without much desire to be there. Mega heat and humidity with a match chocked full of mistakes had pretty much broken my desire to even be there anymore. When all of the scores were tallied I ended up 5th overall in Limited at 90% of John Browning who won.

Knowing that I am capable of finishing in the top 3 at Area matches like this and then giving that opportunity away through mistakes or bad luck is a bitter pill to swallow. While driving away from this match it also dawned on me that this was my 4th major match in 4 consecutive weekends in 4 different states. 4 back to back majors like that with all of the travel and no chance to practice in between isn’t a recipe for success. My back to back major match travel vs performance limit has been found over the last month. This crazy shooting schedule has produced nothing more than lack luster performance after the first one which was the Area 8 match. I will be changing that up next season without this kind of crazy back to back major match schedule. It’s hard to not think of this last four weeks of a bunch of wasted time, money and effort simply because I set myself up for failure. What else is new, I always have to learn lessons the hard way. No matter what, I am looking forward to a couple weeks off from major matches for now.

Edited by CHA-LEE

Since you have been posting all these big match videos recently something I noticed while watching them was that you seem to take extra shots (3x on a target) frequently on a single stage?  It seems to me like it is something different than shooting "make up" shots and is more of a deliberate strategy?      

If I am not mistaken about this, could you please discuss your thoughts about the strategy as it would seem to go against normal thinking. I don't recall there ever being any discussion about this? If there has been please point me in that direction.  Thanks         

17 hours ago, Intel6 said:

Since you have been posting all these big match videos recently something I noticed while watching them was that you seem to take extra shots (3x on a target) frequently on a single stage?  It seems to me like it is something different than shooting "make up" shots and is more of a deliberate strategy?      

If I am not mistaken about this, could you please discuss your thoughts about the strategy as it would seem to go against normal thinking. I don't recall there ever being any discussion about this? If there has been please point me in that direction.  Thanks         

I can assure you that I am not starting any stage with the intent of shooting ANY targets with more than the minimum quantity of shots required. All of the extra shots you see in these videos were due to calling the prior shot Marginal or Bad and it being made up subconsciously. From stage to stage I may consciously determine the minimum called shot quality required based on the potential high hit factor of the stage. A good example of this would be a low hit factor stage with a high hit factor of 4 - 5. In this scenario I will set the minimum called shot quality for a make up shot at anything slightly Marginal or worse. If the high hit factor is in the 10 - 12 range I will set the minimum shot quality for a makeup to anything solidly BAD but any shots better than that are good enough.

Most importantly these make up shots are happening subconsciously and I simply let it happen as needed. More often than not the make up shot is needed as the previous shot ends up being a C zone hit very close to the Delta, a Delta hit or even a Miss. Sometimes my "Call" of the shot is incorrect and I end up with an extra Alpha hit. I don't beat myself up for these extra Alpha hits as I would rather allow my subconscious to do whatever it wants to do with the shot calling process verses intervening and slowing everything down while making conscious decisions. Allowing the subconscious shot calling process to do its own thing also has its detriments because its hard to turn it off when shooting standards stages with a limited quantity of shots required. I have been bitten by this over the years on Virginia Count type stages where my subconscious sends a make up shot when I can't afford to have one. 

If you think I am using a generic strategy of shooting particular targets with more hits than the minimum required and "Hoping" for good hits that couldn't be further from the truth. That type of strategy usually results in even worse hits because we abandon all responsibility of aiming. We revert to slinging lead in the general direction of the target and hoping that enough lead was sent to generate hits.

I also want to point out that the extra shots I am taking do obviously cost me time. Would I rather not need to take the extra shots by executing the first two perfectly? Absolutely!!! Pushing the boundaries of shooting and movement aggression while observing a sight picture that is always in motion usually doesn't allow for a luxury of a perfect sight picture. There is always some level of sight displacement or whole gun on target aiming spot displacement. I can donate time in waiting for all of that stuff to settle and become motionless, or I can donate time by firing make up shots as needed. I would rather donate time in extra shots as it at least gives me an opportunity to get the process done sooner if the first two shots on the target are good enough while everything is still in motion.  

Edited by CHA-LEE

2 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

I can assure you that I am not starting any stage with the intent of shooting ANY targets with more than the minimum quantity of shots required. All of the extra shots you see in these videos were due to calling the prior shot Marginal or Bad and it being made up subconsciously. From stage to stage I may consciously determine the minimum called shot quality required based on the potential high hit factor of the stage. A good example of this would be a low hit factor stage with a high hit factor of 4 - 5. In this scenario I will set the minimum called shot quality for a make up shot at anything slightly Marginal or worse. If the high hit factor is in the 10 - 12 range I will set the minimum shot quality for a makeup to anything solidly BAD but any shots better than that are good enough.

Most importantly these make up shots are happening subconsciously and I simply let it happen as needed. More often than not the make up shot is needed as the previous shot ends up being a C zone hit very close to the Delta, a Delta hit or even a Miss. Sometimes my "Call" of the shot is incorrect and I end up with an extra Alpha hit. I don't beat myself up for these extra Alpha hits as I would rather allow my subconscious to do whatever it wants to do with the shot calling process verses intervening and slowing everything down while making conscious decisions. Allowing the subconscious shot calling process to do its own thing also has its detriments because its hard to turn it off when shooting standards stages with a limited quantity of shots required. I have been bitten by this over the years on Virginia Count type stages where my subconscious sends a make up shot when I can't afford to have one. 

If you think I am using a generic strategy of shooting particular targets with more hits than the minimum required and "Hoping" for good hits that couldn't be further from the truth. That type of strategy usually results in even worse hits because we abandon all responsibility of aiming. We revert to slinging lead in the general direction of the target and hoping that enough lead was sent to generate hits.

I also want to point out that the extra shots I am taking do obviously cost me time. Would I rather not need to take the extra shots by executing the first two perfectly? Absolutely!!! Pushing the boundaries of shooting and movement aggression while observing a sight picture that is always in motion usually doesn't allow for a luxury of a perfect sight picture. There is always some level of sight displacement or whole gun on target aiming spot displacement. I can donate time in waiting for all of that stuff to settle and become motionless, or I can donate time by firing make up shots as needed. I would rather donate time in extra shots as it at lease gives me an opportunity to get the process done sooner if the first two shots on the target are good enough while everything is still in motion.  

That was a very insightful post.  I appreciate your taking the time to describe in detail of what your thought/subconscious process is.

15 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

If you think I am using a generic strategy of shooting particular targets with more hits than the minimum required and "Hoping" for good hits that couldn't be further from the truth. 

That is exactly what I didn't want you to think but I was curious because they are very smooth and because of that they seemed deliberate.  I think your explanation about how the process is subconscious explains why they are that way.  

It is obvious that you are a very "cerebral"   shooter and put a lot of effort in your shooting. I figured you would have a well thought out discussion on this and you certainly didn't disappoint. You post was exactly what I was hoping for and I appreciate you posting it.

Since I have some major match down time over the next couple of weeks I figured I would play around with my Open gun some more. I recently put the 510C red dot on it with the Tevo Sports double sided mount. This mount is rock solid and produces really steady dot tracking. The only bummer with this setup is that the back end of the 510C sight hangs back far enough to get in the way of the ejected brass. I have gone through a couple of ejector & extractor tuning configurations in an attempt to get the brass to eject at a consistent 2 – 3 O’clock trajectory but it isn’t happening. There seems to always be a case or two out of a full mag that will get launched in the 12 – 1 O’clock direction and it bounces off of the back of the sight in a strange direction. In the latest ejector/extractor config the funky trajectory brass hasn’t caused a jam but I still don’t trust it. This is the price to pay for having a 9mm Major Open gun. If this was a 38 Super Comp gun I don’t think it would be a problem at all because the trajectory of that brass is way easier to tune and control.

Since the 510C setup won’t work for my Open gun config I decided to move back to the Delta Point Pro (DPP). My old DPP setup used a Cheely one sided mount that biases the sight slightly to the left to help in clearing ejected brass. I never had any brass to scope mount interference with this setup. Since my 510C scope mount testing proved that a double sided mount was much more stable than a single sided I wanted to do the same testing with the DPP. Lucky for me Tevo Sports is now making a new double sided mount for the RTS2/DPP. I ordered one of those up and got it this week to test out. When I got the new Tevo Sports RTS2/DPP double sided mount the first thing I did was compare the physical sight location from front to back between it and the Cheely one sided mount. The Tevo mount moves the sight glass back almost half an inch. This should help in keeping the dot within the glass even better while shooting because the sight is closer to the natural “Hinge” point as the gun muzzle flips.

Yesterday I was able to test the Double Sided RTS2/DPP mount at a local indoor range. I started out with the Cheely one sided mount to observe a baseline dot tracking then swapped over to the Tevo mount. These two mounts produced slightly different dot tracking while shooting. They both produce a smooth up/down streak of the dot but the magnitude of streak was less on the Tevo mount. The Tevo mount has a smoother dot streak which is expected given the more ridged structure of the mount. Another advantage of the Tevo mount is it being centered in the Left/Right direction when compared to the bore axis. The Cheely mount is designed to be offset to the left slightly to assist in clearing brass ejection. This has always been a little strange to get use to when using the Cheely mount.

I shot over 200 rounds during this testing session and didn’t see any evidence of the ejected brass hitting or touching the underside of the mount. I also observed the ejecting brass while doing some rapid fire shooting and it was coming out of the gun in a fairly consistent trajectory in the 2 O’clock direction. There would be a random high or low thrown brass but that seems to be the normal situation with my 9mm Major Open gun.  

So far I think the RTS2/DPP Tevo Sports double sided scope mount is an advantage over the Cheely single sided mount. The advantages are rigidity, which allows for consistent tracking of the dot. Second, the sight is a little further back on the gun which reduces the amount of dot movement within the glass. Third, the mount centers the sight over the bore access which makes it easier to find the dot with a normal presentation of the gun.

I need to do some outdoor testing of this setup in what I would consider “normal” bright sunny lighting conditions. Testing red dots indoors is a little different because the lower level of lighting enables you to see smaller amounts of strange dot movements while using a lower dot brightness setting. Outdoors shooting requires the dot to be turned all the way up and the sun glare usually washes out the erratic dot movement that happens on the top and bottom of the glass during recoil. My guess is that the dot will look like a nice smooth streak in the glass while shooting outdoors while using this setup. I am planning on giving it a try this coming Saturday after the local club match at Aurora.

Either way, if you want to check out the Tevo Sports 510C or RTS2/DPP scope mount you can find them on their website at www.tevosports.com. Shown below are some pictures of the RTS2/DPP scope mount on my Open blaster.

Tevo DPP1.jpg

Tevo DPP2.jpg

This past weekend was a very welcomed return to a “normal” shooting schedule. On Saturday I attended the USPSA match at the Aurora Gun Club. This match was a departure from their normal stage design as it was intentionally setup as a “Hoser” match. Lots of close targets without any hard cover or no shoots. This is right up my alley as I love to chainsaw at close targets. I decided to run my #4 Limited gun at this match to get some more run time on it. It ran flawlessly through the whole match. I shot this match solidly from start to finish. I didn’t let the close targets suck me into going bananas “trying” to shoot fast. I simply let the shooting happen on its own and observed what was going on. This yielded really good points on target while slinging lead in a proper Angry Panda manner. On the 5 stages I had one 14 HF run, two 13 HF runs, a 10 HF run and a 6.8 HF run on a fast shooting stage that had a crap ton of scrambling around within the shooting area. I didn’t shoot any Delta’s either which was great. Total in control shredding deployed effectively.

I also used this match to test out some Salomon Speedcross 4 Wide shoes. These shoes worked out good and provided great traction on the mostly sandy bays. They fit my feet pretty good but not as good as the Salomon Speedtrak which I have been using over the last couple of seasons. The bummer with the Speedtrak is that they are getting harder to find online to buy. At least the ones that are not in crazy goofy colors. I might have to just get the goofy colored ones though as I would rather have a shoe that works really good and feels really comfortable while on the range all day. That being said, I am planning on giving the Speedcross 4 Wide a solid test over the next couple of months to see if it breaks in more and becomes more comfortable. Maybe it will break in and be perfect?

After the match I had a chance to give my Open gun a try with the double sided Tevo Sports DPP mount. As expected the sun glare pretty much eliminated all erratic dot movement even with the dot turned all the way up. The dot moved within the glass straight up and down in a very smooth manner. This setup is an advantage over the Cheely one sided mount. I had a couple of Open shooters who use the DPP on their guns give it a try and they both liked the Tevo mount setup better. Now I have to get a new kydex holster made for this setup because the right side of the mount gets in the way on my old holster.

On Sunday I decided to not do any shooting and instead when to ride my KTM 500 EXC-F on some trails up in the mountains. I went with a couple of shooting buddies on this trip and it was a blast. This was the maiden voyage for my EXC-F and I wasn’t sure what to expect. My prior trail riding experience was wrestling my KTM 1190 Adventure R beast the whole time which wasn’t that much fun. I was looking forward to riding a more nimble bike on the trails. The KTM 500 EXC-F didn’t disappoint and performed like a champ in all conditions. It literally felt like cheating while scrambling up the trails and blasting through really rocky sections. I had a handful of low speed laydowns in some of the really tricky trail sections. No injuries and a few scratches on the plastics is all that came of those laydowns. Overall the trail riding was a lot of fun and I am looking forward to doing more of that in the future. The only bummer is that we are coming up on fall and there won’t be many more good weather days to do trails in the mountains. The next chance I will have to do another ride is in mid to lay October and it may already be too cold for mountain riding at that point. Either way I am looking forward to doing some more trail riding in the future. Shown below is a picture of my bike on top of Tin Cup pass.

Tin Cup Pass 2018.JPG