Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CHA-LEE's Tale

CHA-LEE

52 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

When I got home from the Area 3 match Sunday evening and on my door step was my new automated brass rollsizing machine. This is a rotary style roll sizer that is fed by a Dillon case feeder. This bad boy is build STOUT and chugs through brass like a BOSS!!! I primarily got it to roll size my 40 brass because I am tired of doing the push through sizing on a single stage press. I also got a 9mm conversion for it so I can run both 40 and 9mm brass. It came preconfigured for 9mm and I had a full 5 gallon bucket of 9mm brass that was wet tumbled so I ran it all through the Rollsizer. It took about 2 hours to chug through the 5 gallon bucket of 9mm brass with very little drama or issues. The primary log jam in processing the brass is feeding brass to it. The Dillon case feeder runs pretty good but its slower than the Rollsizer. I used a mixture of hand feeding the brass in the drop tube while the case feeder was also dropping it. Doing that really sped up the process. But you would be fine with loading up the Case feeder and walking away while it chugs through the brass at the pace of the case feeder.

After the 5 gallon bucket of 9mm was done I did the caliber conversion to the 40 shell plate which was easy as could be. Remove 1 screw that retains the shell plate, take off the 9mm shell plate, put on the 40 shell plate, then reinstall the retaining screw. Done. It took less than a minute to make the caliber conversion. I then ran about 3500 cases of 40 brass through it to see how it would do. Once again it chugged through it all with very minimal drama or issues. Once again the log jam was the Case Feeder so I did a mixture of hand feeding along with the case feeder and the brass was getting processed really fast.

The roll sizing is primarily done on the “belly” of the brass just above the rim and about half way up the case. It roll sizes the portion that a normal resizing/decapping die in the press can’t get to. I measured the diameter of the “belly” on the roll sized brass and compared it to manually push through sized brass and they were identical which is awesome. The only difference between push through sizing and this roll sizing is that the rim of the case isn’t touched during the roll sizing process. We will see if this causes any issues with the end result as I case gauge fully loaded ammo, but I don’t think it will be an issue. I will be reloading the 40 brass this week so I will know soon enough if there are any new case gauging issues.

I was able to take a video of the Rollsizer chugging through some 9mm brass and uploaded it to my YouTube channel. All you need is a Case feeder to feed this bad boy and you are in business. You can check out this roll sizing machine at http://rollsizer.com . This roll sizer isn’t cheap, but it’s really high quality and ships out fast. I think I waited less than 5 days between ordering it and it showing up at my door step. That is amazing given that it was coming from Australia. I am really looking forward to NEVER push though sizing my brass on a single stage press again!!!

Are you using an indapendant case feeder to run the roll sizing machine or did you pull off your Reloading machine. it looks like you have it set up for just the roll sizing machine

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used the Case Feeder off of my Dillon 1050. The Rollsizer system comes with a long plastic tube that would allow you to set the system next to your reloading press and use its case feeder to feed the rollsizer. It also comes with the metal standoff leg to mount a Dillon Case Feeder right on the rollsizer, which is what I did on mine. Moving a case feeder from one place to the next is very easy so I don't see why it would be a problem to move it back and forth as needed. Or you could just buy a dedicated case feeder for the rollsizer.

6 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

I used the Case Feeder off of my Dillon 1050. The Rollsizer system comes with a long plastic tube that would allow you to set the system next to your reloading press and use its case feeder to feed the rollsizer. It also comes with the metal standoff leg to mount a Dillon Case Feeder right on the rollsizer, which is what I did on mine. Moving a case feeder from one place to the next is very easy so I don't see why it would be a problem to move it back and forth as needed. Or you could just buy a dedicated case feeder for the rollsizer.

Thanks for the feedback, is it worth the investment, I have pondered the idea of buying one 

The "Is it worth the investment?" question is hard to answer given that everyone has different priorities and circumstances. Is it a required device? Absolutely not. A push though die situation setup on a single stage press will get the job done but it takes more time. If you are shooting a lot of ammo each year then manual push through sizing adds up to be a lot of time that you could instead be reloading ammo with the same effort. Or you could buy brass that has already been roll sized but that usually costs much more than normal mixed range brass. I embraced doing manual push through sizing for the last 10 years until I finally said SCREW IT!!! and coughed up the $$$ to get an automated roll sizer. 

I paid just under $2K for this Rollsizer with an extra caliber conversion. This is a significant amount of money to dump on a brass processing device. If this is too bitter of a pill to swallow on your own you can get several local shooters to pitch in on one and share it. This Rollsizer can chew through a crap ton of brass in a relatively short amount of time so there shouldn't be a problem with people sharing it as needed to run through all the brass they have over a couple of days.

The one thing I would be leery about is rollsizing other peoples brass due to varied levels of attention paid while processing and cleaning the brass. I am very diligent in my brass processing to weed out crushed or split cases and verify that only 1 caliber is present in the pile I am processing. I have seen many other people do a piss poor job of sorting their brass and end up with different calibers nesting inside one another or severely damaged cases remaining which all cause significant problems while reloading. I don't know what would happen on the Rollsizer machine if a larger case than intended was accidentally run through it. Such as a 45 case getting thrown into the 40 sizing die. I don't want to find out by "Hoping" that people have put in the proper sorting effort before throwing their brass into my Rollsizer then it gets all jacked up. 

1 hour ago, CHA-LEE said:

The "Is it worth the investment?" question is hard to answer given that everyone has different priorities and circumstances. Is it a required device? Absolutely not. A push though die situation setup on a single stage press will get the job done but it takes more time. If you are shooting a lot of ammo each year then manual push through sizing adds up to be a lot of time that you could instead be reloading ammo with the same effort. Or you could buy brass that has already been roll sized but that usually costs much more than normal mixed range brass. I embraced doing manual push through sizing for the last 10 years until I finally said SCREW IT!!! and coughed up the $$$ to get an automated roll sizer. 

I paid just under $2K for this Rollsizer with an extra caliber conversion. This is a significant amount of money to dump on a brass processing device. If this is too bitter of a pill to swallow on your own you can get several local shooters to pitch in on one and share it. This Rollsizer can chew through a crap ton of brass in a relatively short amount of time so there shouldn't be a problem with people sharing it as needed to run through all the brass they have over a couple of days.

The one thing I would be leery about is rollsizing other peoples brass due to varied levels of attention paid while processing and cleaning the brass. I am very diligent in my brass processing to weed out crushed or split cases and verify that only 1 caliber is present in the pile I am processing. I have seen many other people do a piss poor job of sorting their brass and end up with different calibers nesting inside one another or severely damaged cases remaining which all cause significant problems while reloading. I don't know what would happen on the Rollsizer machine if a larger case than intended was accidentally run through it. Such as a 45 case getting thrown into the 40 sizing die. I don't want to find out by "Hoping" that people have put in the proper sorting effort before throwing their brass into my Rollsizer then it gets all jacked up. 

Thanks CHA-LEE, completely makes sense

3 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I doubt you do enough brass prep for it to matter... but there is a company out there with a very popular motor upgrade for the Dillon casefeeder that *honestly* increases output by more than double. 

You probably already know this, but it’s an option.

Do you have a link to this or more information about it? I haven't heard of it before so I am interested.

I haven’t opened the Dillon up to confirm but I’d assume it’s a dc low voltage gear motor which you could up the voltage a little with a different power supply and increase the feed rate with something you likely have laying around the house.

ill soon be corrected if I’m wrong about the type of motor Dillon uses

So far this week I have been busy at home roll sizing brass, wrenching on guns, and reloading ammo. The Rollsizer has been working like a champ. I have run about four 5 gallon buckets of brass through it so far and only a little more to go before I get my current brass stockpile rolled. It will be nice to have all of that done so I can simply throw the brass in my Dillon 650 and go to town on reloading.

I cleaned up and reset my shooting stuff after the Area 3 match. During the Area 3 match I noticed that the brass ejection trajectory was getting a little sporadic on the #2 Limited gun. No jams or anything, but the brass is getting thrown out at random directions from 12 to 3 O’clock. This is usually an extractor tension issue or potentially a damaged extractor hook. This gun has an AFTEC in it with an unknown amount of rounds on it, but I know it’s a lot. It may be time to fit a new extractor, replace the AFTEC springs or something else. I have been wanting to switch over to the EGW HD Extractor so this might be a good time to do that. I am a little leery about switching the whole extractor to a different version right before the Area 8 match. I also have 3 other majors after that almost back to back so it may be better to simply feed it some new springs and see how it goes.

On my Open gun I have been testing the Holosun 510C red dot sight. Yes, I know the old Delta Point Pro sight setup worked good so why screw with another sight? Because I like to fiddle on things. The main things that have me interested in trying the 510C is the much bigger glass and Circle or 2 MOA Dot sight configuration. I have experienced pretty interesting results with using the Circle only when shooting PCC with the 510C and want to see if it also applies on a pistol in Open. TEvo Sports makes Open gun sight mounts for the 510C both in single and double sided configurations. I tried the single sided configuration first as it was cheaper than the double sided. The 510C presents the dot a little bit higher than the Delta Point Pro but the glass is so big that the dot was always somewhere within the glass when I pointed the gun at a target. The offset height of the dot is what I would consider half way between a Delta Point Pro setup and a normal upright C-More setup.  I was able to test the single sided TEvo 510C mount at the indoor range to sight it in and do some rapid fire. Sighting it in wasn’t an issue and the dot always remained within the glass from a pointing/index perspective which was nice. I did slow fire precision shots at 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards to see what the vertical point of impact offset would be and it ended up at about 4 – 5 inches from close to far which is about the same as the Delta Point Pro setup. After that I did some rapid fire testing to see how the dot tracked within the glass and that is when stuff got weird. I was shooting .12 - .15 splits and the 2 MOA dot would stay contained within the glass but the tracking of the dot was crazy. The dot would lift as the shot was fired but then it would come down and move side to side. The motion of the dot looked like an upside down “T” within the glass which was really strange. Maybe the low side to side movement is happening on the Delta Point Pro single sided mount but the glass is too small to see it? Either way, I think this strange bottom of the glass side to side movement is due to the single sided mount moving or flexing during recoil.

Since I can’t leave a puzzle like this alone and want to know the answers I decided to give the TEvo Sports double sided 510C mount a try. I got the double sided mount on Monday and installed it on Tuesday. Drilling and tapping the right side of the frame was easy work and the mount fit like a glove to both the frame and the sight. After the double sided mount was installed I tried flexing it by hand it was SOLID. I could flex the single sided mount by hand so maybe the double sided mount will solve the strange dot movement issue. I am going to sight it in and do some more testing today at lunch time at the indoor range. Hopefully it works out and I can move forward with normal live fire testing outdoors.

If you want to check out the TEvo 510C mounts you can see them at the link listed below….

http://www.tevosports.com/product/holosun-mount-double-sided-wide/   

I was able to get some live fire time at the indoor range today during lunch. I tested the TEvo Sports double sided mount for the 510C red dot. The strange left/right dot movement at the bottom of the glass was gone. The overall tracking of the dot was much more predictable in the Up/Down motion with a very slight amount of left/right movement. The tracking of the dot produced a “Cats Eye” type of movement but it was in a predictable manner. The two sided mount has solved the strange dot movement issue I was seeing before.

The thing that is still kind of strange for me is the magnitude of up/down dot movement during recoil. The movement consumes almost the whole height of the glass even though the glass is much larger than the Delta Point Pro. Then it dawned on me that the 510C glass is biased about an inch forward versus the Delta Point Pro with Cheely mount. The further forward the glass is on the gun the more dot movement will be observed in the glass during recoil.

I tried using the Circle only reticle and the circle consumed about 80% of the glass making it way too huge to use effectively as an aiming device. The size of the circle within the glass changes depending on how far the sight is away from your face with it getting bigger the further away it is. For Carbines the sight is relatively close to your face and the circle is small enough within the glass to use. But on a pistol the sight is way further away from your face making the circle gigantic. This is a bummer as I wanted to test out the Circle reticle to see how it would work out. I did a little bit of shooting with both the Circle and 2 MOA dot on at the same time and it was way too distracting because too much red was consuming the glass. This basically leaves me with only using the 2 MOA reticle for this setup. Holosun is making a smaller sight called the 507C which has the same type of Circle/Dot reticle as the 510C but the circle is supposed to be half the size, which would probably work great. But that sight has been on back order for months with no ETA of when it will be restocked. I will likely try that sight when it finally becomes available. Once again, only because I am a fiddler and like to try stuff out. It wouldn’t surprise me if I ended up back at the Delta Point Pro after all of this testing as that setup works really good.

While shooting this setup I noticed that brass nicks are starting to show up at the bottom of the back right corner of the 510C. I also had one jam were a piece of brass was stuck between the underside of the sight and the top of the slide right in that same area where the nicks are. If I am going to use this sight I will likely need to do some Extractor & Ejector tuning to get the trajectory of the brass moving in more of a horizontal direction.

Before I go crazy on tuning my Extractor & Ejector I need to test this setup outdoors to see if there is really a competitive advantage to using it over the Delta Point Pro. I need to test the sun glare resistance of the 510C verses the Delta Point Pro. That and there is usually an observed difference in dot tracking when shooting outdoors verses indoors. I will give it a try outdoors this weekend to see how it goes. This project could be all a waste of time.

This past weekend on Saturday was the HPPS match which I run. Once again it was a lot of work but worth it given the turnout we had. The forecast called for rain starting at 1PM and it was dead on. The black clouds started brewing by 11AM and by 1PM they were right over the range. The sky opened up and DUMPED on us for a solid 45 minutes. Luckily all of the squads were in the middle of their last stage of the day and powered through to finish. My squad finished on the classifier stage and I was the last one to shoot. I wanted to get all of the “Customers” through the stage before I shot it because I really don’t need to improve my classification. When I shot the stage the rain and wind were at their worst. The targets were folded in half backwards by the wind and the rain was coming in straight sideways. It’s been a really long time since I have shot in super rainy conditions like that and it was an interesting experience. I did my best to block out the crappy conditions and focused all of my attention on watching the sights. I shot slower than normal because of the bent in half targets moving around like crazy but I was able to get all of my hits with only 2 C’s. Before the rain started I was shooting a pretty solid match. I had 1 miss which I called really marginal on a head shot target and it ended up being a miss. It was the last shot in the array before doing a hard 90 degree transition to the next array and I likely started to turn my head just as I broke the shot. Other than that I was happy with my overall match performance. My shooting performance expectations are pretty low at this match given that my top priority is to run the match.   

For this match I was testing out two different things. The first was a new pair of shoes. I got some Altra King MT 1.5 shoes because they have a much wider toe box than most other shoes. They fit really nice and didn’t give me any foot pain while on the range all day. They produced good traction on the loose sandy dirt. They are a low cut type of shoe so there was a couple of instances where I got sand in them while scrambling around the shooting area. But this is really no different than the low cut Salomon shoes. The rainy conditions proved that they are not water proof, which they don’t claim to be but is good to know. I need to do some more testing with them on different surfaces to see how the traction is. It will be interesting to see how they do on slick concrete or wet wood.

The next thing I was able to test was a new pair of +0.75 prescription Rudy Project Rydon shooting glasses. I had these made because the Rydon glasses provide much better lens wrap around protection than the fairly flat lenses on my cheap lens crafter glasses. The Rydon glasses produce a little more of a fish eye distortion when looking through the far corners of the lenses but that is to be expected given their greater curvature. It only took a few minutes to get used to this after putting them on and I didn’t even notice it by the time the match started. These glasses worked just as good as the Lens Crafter glasses from a focal perspective which is great. The rainy conditions actually provided an excellent “Poor Lighting” conditions to test the +0.75 glasses in. My second to last stage was shot when the black clouds were thick and the lighting was really crappy. I was still able to make out the top edges of the front sight and call my shots properly even though it was dark and the targets were in heavy shadows. Nobody wants to shoot in these kind of lighting conditions for maximum performance, but this was a great opportunity to test out the new shooting glasses and prove that they work.

I also had a chance to test my #2 Limited blaster with some fresh AFTEC springs in it. The new AFTEC springs brought the brass ejection back to a consistent 2 O’clock trajectory. Before I swapped out the springs I tested the spring tension on the old ones by inserting a case against the breach face. Then testing it again after the spring replacement. The new springs did produce a firmer extractor to rim pressure. I am not sure how many rounds I had on the old set of AFTEC springs. But it has to be a crap ton over several seasons. I should probably replace those springs at least once a season to head off any potential issues. That or simply switch to the EGW HD extractor that I used on the #4 Limited gun build.

After the match the clouds parted and the sun came back out so I was able to test my Open gun with the Double Sided 510C mount on it. I had to turn the dot to its highest setting to be bright enough outdoors. The dot seemed bright enough at its highest setting but I am not sure if it would still be enough in challenging sun glare conditions. While shooting the dot seemed to only consume half of the glass and moved in a fairly straight up/down motion. This is different than what I observed indoors but to be expected as shooting a dot indoors vs outdoors usually does produce a slightly different observed dot tracking. I did some one handed presentations and every time the dot was somewhere within the glass when it was punched out in front of my face. So far the dot being somewhere within the glass any time the gun is put in front of my face seems to be the primary benefit of using the 510C. The huge glass allows for this where the smaller glass sight setups can result in the dot not being in the glass with a less than optimal presentation of the gun. I shot about 50 rounds through it and also let others shoot it as well to see how it looked. During this testing it had another jam where the ejected brass got caught between the bottom of the sight and the top of the slide. The brass was also ejecting in an inconsistent pattern because it was hitting the underside of the sight. The next step for this project will be some Ejector and Extractor tuning to get the brass to get thrown in the 2 – 3 O’clock trajectory.  Hopefully that will resolve the interference issues. This will actually be a good test for the EGW HD extractor to see if throwing that in will change the brass trajectory as desired.

It was nice to have the opportunity to do some shooting and test a bunch of different stuff out on Saturday as I wasn’t able to do any shooting on Sunday. On Sunday I got my shooting gear cleaned up and ready to go for the Area 8 match this coming weekend. I head out for this match on Thursday evening with the wife. She is coming with me so we can do some sight seeing after I shoot the match on Saturday. I am shooting the whole match on Saturday so that will give us all of Sunday to check stuff out around Pennsylvania. The wife and I have never been to Pennsylvania before so we figured it would be a good opportunity to make a mini vacation out of it.  

Charlie,

I just purchased the Altra Timp. It was very comfortable after hours and enough traction. They make waterproof models and I will be ordering a pair for fall. Alra uses Neoshell for waterproofing. This seems fro be the best coating available from reviews. Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, jnr88 said:

Charlie,

I just purchased the Altra Timp. It was very comfortable after hours and enough traction. They make waterproof models and I will be ordering a pair for fall. Alra uses Neoshell for waterproofing. This seems fro be the best coating available from reviews. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I will look into those. I already have some "Go To" wet weather shooting shoes that work great in wet conditions while keeping my feet dry. But its always good to know there are viable alternatives.

Last night I was doing another 1000 round reloading session and I broke my Dillon 650 Press. The shell plate broke where it retains the case by the rim. I have never seen a shell plate break like that before but nothing lasts forever. I guess my firm “Primer Seating” push finally caused the shell plate to fail. The good news is that I have about 5000 rounds loaded up so my ammo stash is deep enough to keep me shooting while I wait for replacement parts to come in. I am going to use this reloading press failure to proactively replace several different wearing parts on the press. I ordered up all of the parts today and hopefully I can get them all installed by next week so I can get this bad boy back in action.

Since I couldn’t reload ammo anymore I transitioned to getting my shooting gear cleaned and packed up for the Area 8 match. Everything is ready to go now and I am looking forward to attending a match and range I have never been to before. Hopefully I can pull together a solid match performance and break the currently trend of Area match suckitude I have been on so far this year.

I just got back from the Area 8 match. I had never been to the Area 8 match or range before so it was cool to check out a new venue. The match was run on a pretty tight schedule with everyone shooting the whole thing in a 1 day format. With 13 stages plus chrono I knew it was going to be a long day on the range so I did my best to get super hydrated the day before I shot. On Friday I was at the range for about 5 hours trying to check out the stages between squads but it was slim pickings. I was only able to walk about half of the stages due to squads being on the others continually. This meant that I had to get to the range extra early on Saturday morning so I could walk the rest of the stages before the start of the match. I got to the range just before 6:30AM and hustled through the remaining stages I needed to check out. This was a good thing because several of the stages had multiple options in how to shoot them and I needed to time different strategies to figure out which way was best. I was able to get the remaining stages figured out before the start of the match which was great.

I was on a squad with a bunch of great people I have never shot with before so it was nice to make some new friends. Everyone worked their tail off taping and resetting the stages all day which was awesome. It was hot, but not super hot. It was humid, but not super humid. Basically hot and humid enough to maintain a steady sweat all day long. I was chugging liquids religiously all day to keep from getting dehydrated and it worked well. By the end of the day I had drank over 2 gallons of liquids which is a lot for me. Way more than normal but it kept me from cramping up or feeling dehydrated. I was also snacking on stuff through the day to try and stay on top of nourishment which worked pretty good. All told I was on the range for over 12 hours by the time we were done and heading out so it was a long and physically exhausting day playing in the heat while sweating like crazy all day.

From a performance perspective I was getting it done solidly through the first 9 stages. Up until that point I was on pace with the current leader in Limited Michael Gnyra who shot on Friday. With only 4 stages to go a potential win was within my grasp. Unfortunately at this point in the match is when I was physically starting to run out of gas. Over the final four stages I had 3 uncalled misses which sunk my chances at winning. One of these misses was due to trying to shoot on the move a little too aggressively while the gun was bouncing around too much on the target. The other two happened on the last two stages where the lighting was starting to get crappy and the targets were in heavy shadows. Pointing at targets and hoping for hits because you can’t see your sights is always a sucky place to be. I was mentally starting to lose it on the last stage and had to physically walk the stage about 10 times before I could program the stage plan properly. I felt guilty about walking the last stage so much instead of pasting targets but if I hadn’t of done it the stage would have been a total train wreck. I bossed the last stage run and ended up winning that stage even with a miss. Winning the stage or not I sill gave away another 15 points due to the miss. Oh well.

I gave the match all I had without going crazy and it put me in 2nd place at 97% of Michael Gnyra. Since there was another full day of shooting on Sunday I had to wait it out to see if my 2nd place would hold up. Lucky for me it did. It’s cool to finish 2nd overall in Limited but it’s also sucky to give away a win by racking up misses. At least I didn’t have a major train wreck like the prior three Area matches I have attended, which is a good thing.

On Sunday the Wife and I did some sight seeing in Philadelphia then went to Atlantic City to check out the board walk. It was cool to do some tourist stuff after the match instead of scrambling back home. Watch my match video to the end to see what a flock of Sea Gulls do to a plate of funnel cake on the Atlantic City Boardwalk …….. DESTROYED in record time!!!

It was nice to meet you Sir. Glad you had a good experience in my old stomping grounds. I’m now in A6 but I’ve been lucky enough to make it to the last two A8 championships up at Ontelaunee. Hopefully I’ll see your name on the GA state roster. 

19 hours ago, Sdlrodeo said:

It was nice to meet you Sir. Glad you had a good experience in my old stomping grounds. I’m now in A6 but I’ve been lucky enough to make it to the last two A8 championships up at Ontelaunee. Hopefully I’ll see your name on the GA state roster. 

It was nice to meet you at the Area 8 match!!! Hopefully we will get a chance to shoot together some time in the future.

I was happy to see your name on the squad list and even happier to have met you when I came back to the range on Saturday, for social reasons, after having shot Friday.

My buddy Rob, who was also one of your squadmates, put me on the spot while we were talking and I was at a loss for words. Luckily, you seemed to understand and didn't take offense at my pause to his question.

At the end of the day Friday, I was 2nd behind Mike Gnyra. After Saturday, you had earned, and kept, that spot. It was a proud place for me to be, even if only for a day! ;)

Thanks again and I hope to run into you again at another match... maybe Nationals!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

N3WWN> It was nice meeting you at the Area 8 match!!! Hopefully we can shoot together at a future match some time. I won't be going to the Nationals this year. I have shot the nationals and the FL Open at the Universal Shooting Academy several times in the past. This year I chose to skip the Nationals hosted at the USA range and go to the Area 7 and 8 matches instead. I am glad I did too because I was able to visit some new ranges and make new friends as well.

This past weekend I attended the Utah State match in Salt Lake City. I flew to this match because the flights were cheaper than gas in driving out there. We got in early Friday morning and to the range by 10AM. I spent most of the day on the range walking stages and pitching in to help RO the staff for several stages. The staff squads were really small and they were running around with their heads cutoff. I felt bad for them and pitched in to help a squad run the timer on about 6 different stages. Luckily I brought a gallon of water to the range as I needed it while walking and working the stages. After helping the staff shoot the stages I walked them all again with Local Limited GM Kenny Terry. We compared stage plans and did a good job of working together to settle on the optimal stage plan for every stage. I eventually left the range at about 6:30PM and I was beat. This unplanned long day on the range ultimately proved to be my biggest mistake at this match. The rest of the weekend I felt run down and mentally not into it. This showed in my shooting as I had issues on all but one stage. Most of the “issues” I had were execution errors due to not being mentally fresh and focused. I did rack up 13 D’s and 2 misses for the match and both were uncalled. The “Shadow Target” situation was kicking my butt as well in the mornings. The first couple of stages in the mornings I couldn’t see my sights worth a crap on the shadow targets. All of these issues combined resulted in a pretty lack luster overall performance for me. Sometimes it’s just not your weekend. It’s just strange for me to go from shooting really good the weekend before at the Area 8 match to sucking the following weekend at the UT State match. Maybe its simply too much to shoot major matches back to back like that and expect to be physically and mentally into it? We will see if the suck streak continues as I have the Colorado State match this coming weekend.

Even though I wasn’t performing my best I had a lot of fun attending the match. I was able to shoot with Bob Krogh and Kenny Terry who were my primary competition for this match. Bob was laying it down like he always does in a consistent manner. Kenny was shooting awesome as well and it was cool to see those two battle it out stage after stage. When all of the shooting was done Bob ended up winning with Kenny in second only 13 match points behind. I ended up third at 95% of Bob which I was actually surprised by finishing that high given how much I felt like I was sucking. This just goes to show that even though you feel like it’s not going well at all, if you keep grinding away, it can still produce a fairly decent result overall.

5 minutes ago, Vanniek71 said:

You could tell energy wasn’t at 100%, I didn’t hear one Panda Grunt! ?

This is true........ The lack of Panda Grunt's while trying to move fast dawned on me about half way through the day on Saturday.