Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650XL Spilling Powder

I just recently purchased a Dillon 650XL and for the most part it works fairly well, but, about 10% of the time when the finished round is ready to be ejected it catches and stops the press or jerks the press in such a way that powder spills out of the shells.  I’ve already tried replacing the ejector wire once with little improvement..  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe Kipp

joe,

i think everyone that owns a 650 has the same problem.

i have minimized my powder spillage by moving my steating die to the 3rd position instead of the 4th position(this is where the powder check die went.  i didn't like this die and removed it.)  i know have less powder spilling, and this keeps my machine a lot cleaner.  the cleaner the machine the less hang up i have.

good luck

lynn jones

L-843

I love my 650, but have had this problem also.

The 650 will spill powder in at least 2 main ways.

1. If your machine is new it may still have the packing grease on the shell plate which causes the cases to stick in the slots. Clean the slots well and if possible polish them (like with the wire brush on the dremel) and use a little graphite (very little on a Q-tip) to be sure the case will slide out of the slot easily.

2. When the shell plate indexes you get some powder flipped out when the plate comes to a stop. Everyone has a cure for this but the only one that has worked consistently for me is to rest the index finger of my left hand lightly on the plate as it turns. This lets you feel the movement of the plate and put exactly the right pressure on it to prevent the jerk. After a while this becomes second nature and you can do it very fast.

Hope this helps.

Everyone,

Thanks for all the tips.  I’ve filled a small amount off the trailing edge of the slots in the shell plate and cleaned it thoroughly and it appears only to catch on 1 in 50 now.  I’ll probably take Paul’s suggestion and buff the shell place to remove any burs from the edges.

Thanks again for all the info.

Joe

• 8 years later...

here's one that i didn't see mentioned....i've put a small rubber piece under the shell pin at the next station after powder dropped....i use small rubber things like you used to put in spigots before all the washerless fixtures came out...you'll have to file on it to get it just right....D I C K