Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 + hacksaw + files + small drill press

want2race

Good lord guys...I mean it took him 3 hacksaw blades sheeesh lol. I tell you what He handed me the gun and I was like so, you put your fancy little grip on it. Then looked closer and it was shorter! :surprise: I knew he didn't use a mill and he just said hacksaw and I about died right there! Right after he did it we took it to the range and knocked down some plates and it ran fine. I was super impressed.

There is a reason I let him work/build my guns, he does SH!T right!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for O-rings working on a gun, seeing as how gas operated shotguns have used them for decades with combustion gases directly impinging on them, why wouldn't they work as a bushing? They sure don't have a problem holding large amounts of hydraulic pressure in the Cat loaders I drive....

It's amazing how jaded you can become as to the "proper" way to work on man-made things until somebody like want2race comes along and burns those notions down...maika'i nui, bruh and hana hou for your next project....

I just re-cut the ramp in my Caspian .45 with a dremel and thought I was doing something.

WOW!

As an aside, my grandfather was a machinist, trained in the late 1800's. In order to even start to be taught you had to make a 1" cube out of steel with a hacksaw and a file. Sounds simple, but they really meant a CUBE, 1.000" x 1.000" x 1.000" and all angles @ 90.000 degrees. I think Want2Race would qualify.

Jim

I didn't have the .45 cal pilot so I just held it by hand and turned slow. Just enough to break the edge.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/Pro...HAMFER%20CUTTER

I just cut a black SVI 140mm mag down to fit flush. Cutting it was easy, reshaping the lips to hold the base plate took a little while. Had to pull the Dremel cut off wheel out for that one.

I pulled out my officers sized, McGyvered, reverse plug and swapped it out for my EGW one that came in yesterday. The spring tunnel was cut short (only .5") so I could custom taylor it for my application. Then cut it to proper length (.975") and it's darn near perfect. Thank You EGW!. Also swapped out the FLGR for a GI spec one. It's hollow and MUCH lighter.

Edited by want2race

Round count update. Shot our local IDPA match with it today, and the classifier after the match. Another 200-225 rounds down range. With non-puff ammo (major PF) it is perfect. Slide locks back, not a single jam or issue. I tried to shoot some of my moly loads (when I used to shoot a Glock) and it's too weak for the recoil spring I have in it. It would cycle but not lock the slide back on empty. The throat is a little tight for the molys too, but I could fix that if I really wanted to. I don't. I will shoot jacketed through it and leave it as is.

I even loaded up a 20 round Limited mag and it cycled and fed that too.

I'm still not a "Hack-Master" in ESP as I missed it by about 3 seconds. Operator error. The match results should be good though.

Barrel O-ring still looks like new (once I wiped off the dirty oil and carbon).

Edited by want2race