Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installing a comp

jonny4523

You can use one of three methods.

You can get a peel washer and peel away the layers until the brake is timed correctly.

You can use a crush washer which flattens as you tighten the comp and time it correctly

or You can have a machinist install the comp and mill the backside fo the comp so that when it is tightened on the barrel shoulder it is timed correctly.

You can use one of three methods.

You can get a peel washer and peel away the layers until the brake is timed correctly.

You can use a crush washer which flattens as you tighten the comp and time it correctly

or You can have a machinist install the comp and mill the backside fo the comp so that when it is tightened on the barrel shoulder it is timed correctly.

It came with a peel washer, but I've never used one before. What is the best way to remove a single layer without negatively affecting the other layers.

I've always used a bic lighter to heat up and help separate the layers or the peel washer.

Wow, you learn something new every day. I've always used a razor blade and have been thankful that I didn't cut my fingers wide opened!

now for my $.02 worth.

I would not use a crush washer for a comp.

My experience is that a crush washer, being a spring.....may NOT keep your comp on your barrel straight, it may (and will) have the tendancey to actually tilt your comp. AND NEVER RE-USE A CRUSH WASHER FOR A COMP. A peel washer, will always back up completely against the shoulder....so if your shoulder is straight (and it should be, it was probably turned on a lathe), your comp will square up on the peel washer, as the peel washer will square up on the shoulder.

I prefer machining the comp to time it. Of course, I do have access to a machine shop and a whole lot of guys that know how to run them. Before I started working here, I used peel washers. I could peel the layers to allow me to tighten to hand tight and time correctly. Liberal amounts of Lock Tite 262 ensured that it wouldn't come off. YMMV.

now for my $.02 worth.

My experience is that a crush washer, being a spring.....may NOT keep your comp on your barrel straight, it may (and will) have the tendancey to actually tilt your comp. AND NEVER RE-USE A CRUSH WASHER FOR A COMP. A peel washer, will always back up completely against the shoulder....so if your shoulder is straight (and it should be, it was probably turned on a lathe), your comp will square up on the peel washer, as the peel washer will square up on the shoulder.

I don't know if you're referring to the a1 style "lock" washer, but the crush wasers we use are a solid circle in a cone shape that flattens whaen you "crush" it. Shouldn't tilt it at all, but I guess I really wouldn't know, you got some years of experience on me :goof:

I have a cheap bench top sander that I use to time my comps. Just take a little off at a time until it's where you want it. Keep rotating the comp so you take material off equally.

EG

Dont use crush washers with a comp.

The conical shape does NOT shoulder square

With a loose bore in the comp, you MAY get away with it...but it will change your POI.

To allow a bullet to pass thru the comp with out disturbing its path...it MUST be exactly centered in the comps bore.

JMHO

Jim

now for my $.02 worth.

I don't know if you're referring to the a1 style "lock" washer, but the crush wasers we use are a solid circle in a cone shape that flattens whaen you "crush" it. Shouldn't tilt it at all, but I guess I really wouldn't know, you got some years of experience on me :goof:

Key word there Tyler is SHOULDN'T......and that is not always the case, the crush washer was designed to be used with the flashhider and there is not much need for holes to be lined up critically.....actually, I was going to mention that to you back when you had a comp installed this last summer and your groups went all to hell. Was gonna ask you if you had used a crush washer. :rolleyes:

A crush washer...."may" work....but may not work all the time, the peel washer will always work, as long as the shoulder is square. Screw a nut on to a bolt sometime and feel how the nut can tip side to side when it is loose.....a crush washer is a actually, a spring, it won't keep a nut from tipping....only make it REALLY hard to tip. In reality, the nut can still tip. It's always best to tighten up a comp to the shoulder....not to a spring. The peel washer just makes the 'shoulder' extend out to what you need to time the comp correctly.

Yeah...it's an experience thing, but hey, I'm willing to share.

Tim