Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Elevators that come to a sudden violent stop

boba

Yea..happened to me today at work. Home now with a softneck brace on that I have to keep on 24/7 for a pinched nerver in my neck, sprained lower back and right knee injury. Workmans comp doc says with these pain pills, steroids as an anti-inflamatory I will be good as new in a couple of days....Not sure I will ever get on an elevator again....Man these pain pills are starting to dull the pain anyway....

Laters

Yea..happened to me today at work. Home now with a softneck brace on that I have to keep on 24/7 for a pinched nerver in my neck, sprained lower back and right knee injury. Workmans comp doc says with these pain pills, steroids as an anti-inflamatory I will be good as new in a couple of days....Not sure I will ever get on an elevator again....Man these pain pills are starting to dull the pain anyway....

Laters

Update, they are now sending me for an MRI because it appears I may have a disk in my neck ruptured, causing bad headaches, no reflex in my right arm and shooting pains down my right arm....UGH!

Never heard of that happening... Sorry to hear you got hurt.. I hope you don't have disk damage. :(

Thanks JThompson, they have the elevator out of commision right now waiting on a sensor to come in. I talk to work today and apparently a sensor that is suppose to slow the elevator down failed so my decent from the third floor to the basment didn't have the brakes applied to slow it down. :angry2:

Thanks JThompson, they have the elevator out of commision right now waiting on a sensor to come in. I talk to work today and apparently a sensor that is suppose to slow the elevator down failed so my decent from the third floor to the basment didn't have the brakes applied to slow it down. :angry2:

Dang! Good thing it wasn't the 10th floor! Did you know what was going on as it was happening??

Dang! Good thing it wasn't the 10th floor! Did you know what was going on as it was happening??

Nope, no warning at all, I got on on the 3rd floor and it continued down without applying any brakes till it bottomed out on the ground floor. It didn't free fall, it would be similar to stepping off and dropping 8-10 feet w/o warning and no way to prep for some kind of landing. Took me totally by surprise and I guess everyone near the that end of the building heard it and felt it.

• 3 months later...

Just thought I would updated this old thread. After months of PT, Spinal injections and lots of narcotics, surgery was done on 1/19. The herniated disk was removed and a cadaver bone was used to make up the space. I also have a metal plated screwed between the c5-c6 and a bone has been grafted over that. For the first time in months the arm pain is almost gone, I still have weakness in the right arm which may or may not return. I am looking forward to getting ready to shoot this seasons IPDA and USPSA local matches. It's going to feel good getting back into the swing of things. I have about 4 weeks I have to lay low and then back to work and more PT.

How many zeros at the end of that law suit???

Sounds like a whole collection of nice shooting iron to me... or a nice big piece of land to shoot your current toys on all you want...

I'd own the f-ing building... But that's just me.

JW

How many zeros at the end of that law suit???

Sounds like a whole collection of nice shooting iron to me... or a nice big piece of land to shoot your current toys on all you want...

I'd own the f-ing building... But that's just me.

JW

He doesn't want THAT building........ it has faulty elevators. :rolleyes:

AL

Yea, that's it ..... sue somebody. That will fix everything.

Crap just happens sometimes.

Hope you heal up soon and get back to shooting soon.

Thanks mscott, it's not like I have a lot to relearn, I just started shooting last spring and as soon as the weather breaks here I will be practicing on my range here at home.

Sorry for your troubles! I have some words of advice on physical therapy: DO IT!

Yes, it hurts and yes it's no fun. No, you may not see any gain - for days weeks or even months. But eventually, it will help!!

Most insurance companies only cover enough therapy to get you mobile again. When the insurance runs out, join a gym/health club and keep working out. If money is a problem, try your local high school - some let people use their equipment and are very reasonable. I was involved in a "whoops" 7 years ago. I go to Planet Fitness (shameless plug). They only charge $10 a month and are open 24 hours a day during the week. If moderate work outs causes pain - talk to your doctor. They started me out on a 'cocktail' of vicodin, ibuprofen, and oxycontin so I endure the pain of just lifting my arm. I still take a mild dose of vicodin an hour before each work out. My arm is actually much stronger than before the accident, although my range of motion remains limited. Without PT, it would be useless.

Good luck, and God Bless!

Sorry for your troubles! I have some words of advice on physical therapy: DO IT!

Yes, it hurts and yes it's no fun. No, you may not see any gain - for days weeks or even months. But eventually, it will help!!

Most insurance companies only cover enough therapy to get you mobile again. When the insurance runs out, join a gym/health club and keep working out. If money is a problem, try your local high school - some let people use their equipment and are very reasonable. I was involved in a "whoops" 7 years ago. I go to Planet Fitness (shameless plug). They only charge $10 a month and are open 24 hours a day during the week. If moderate work outs causes pain - talk to your doctor. They started me out on a 'cocktail' of vicodin, ibuprofen, and oxycontin so I endure the pain of just lifting my arm. I still take a mild dose of vicodin an hour before each work out. My arm is actually much stronger than before the accident, although my range of motion remains limited. Without PT, it would be useless.

Good luck, and God Bless!

Hi Tom, I did PT for 8 weeks before surgery and am looking forward to getting back to it. I go for a recheck in 4 weeks and the surgeon will decide then if I can return to work and start PT. He mentioned 12 weeks of PT. Right now the pain in my arms is almost nothing and it sure feels good.