Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ75...?

Lanzo

I was looking at a used CZ75 the other day and wanted to get some second opinions. The gun is used but in very good condition. I don't know to much about them but i've heard nothing but good things about CZ75's and I liked it a lot when I shot it. I only put 17 rounds through it, but it never skipped a beat and I ran the latter half of them pretty much as fast as I could pull the trigger.

As much as I hate to say I'm finally thinking of giving in and buying a 9mm (.45, .45, .45!)....should I buy or pass for 400 out the door? It should be production legal also?

Edited by Lanzo

Lanzo - I've got two CZ-75Bs, and I really like them. They're Production legal except for the SA (single action only) version.

$400 sounds a bit high, at least for my neck of the woods. Try to talk the seller down; if they won't budge, at least make sure it comes with all the stuff it came with originally - two full capacity mags (15 or 16 round, depending on when it was made) and the lockable box.

For Production, you'll need at least three more mags, plus a holster and mag carriers. Plan on saving for a trigger job and sights too, just like any other gun you'd get for Production. I recommend Matt Mink for both - he did my guns, and they're excellent.

Lanzo - I've got two CZ-75Bs, and I really like them. They're Production legal except for the SA (single action only) version.

$400 sounds a bit high, at least for my neck of the woods. Try to talk the seller down; if they won't budge, at least make sure it comes with all the stuff it came with originally - two full capacity mags (15 or 16 round, depending on when it was made) and the lockable box.

For Production, you'll need at least three more mags, plus a holster and mag carriers. Plan on saving for a trigger job and sights too, just like any other gun you'd get for Production. I recommend Matt Mink for both - he did my guns, and they're excellent.

What do you think a good price would be?

+1 to what Chuck said. But I would add that although you proably can find a used CZ75 for less than $400 from a private seller - unless it's face to face, you'll need to add $$ for shipping and FFL. From a bricks and mortar place, $400 including sales tax is decent for a good-excellent condition CZ75 with a couple of mags, IMO. New CZ75's can be had for about $490 (including tax) the last time I saw them at Academy Sports.

It's difficult to beat the CZ-75 in terms of reliability or ergonomics. The Glocks have great relaibility but for my hand not the best ergonomics. The S&W M&P9 has great ergonomics but I have no personal experience at presnt (soon to be corrected with acquisition of S&W M&P9PRO) with reliability.

CZ is a good choice, but I'd go with the SP-01. A bit more weight so less recoil, 19 rnd. mags for those matches you don't shoot production in. Mine is very accurate, excellent trigger after trigger job, and it runs.

A friend of mine just picked up the SP101. I like the grip, but I have large hands and find it impossible to rack the slide in a hurry. I have to rack it with the front serrations to avoid bashing my fingers on the decockers. The rest of my friends with large hands have the same problem (he's pissed at me because I keep bringing it up, but it's just payback for him bashing my glock 35 for so long). otherwise it shoots fine and they are priced right. just my $0.02

Is it a 75 or a 75B.

the B has a firingpin block, which you can tell by the roll pin in the slide.

some other differences..would be spur hammer, squared trigger guard, dovetailed front sight.

but there are several transistional models that share the features.

there should be a born on date..two digit number for the year of manufacture in the small oval right behind the ejection port, new models will have it in front of the serial number on the slide.

do the serial numbers on the frame, barrel and slide match?? not a big deal..but you'll know if those are the original.

any idea how many mags will come with the gun?? 10rnd or 15, 16 rnd??

$400 will be on the higher end of the scale for used stock CZ, as new ones are only about $50 +/- more.

I agree with all the above....

• There are numerous models of the CZ75, so be sure and check out the exact model.

• Used models are usually available well under $400

• A lot of competition shooters prefer the full length slide models, like the SP-01

• Ergonomics are first rate

Additionally, if you are coming from the Glock or Sig world, you just can't walk into any gun store and pick up a holster and magazines. You need to be aware that they are not hard to find, but usually need to be ordered. Check out the "CZ Forum" for more help.

I have a '75B and a '75 pre-B and they're great guns,very reliable and accurate.The pre-B is a little picky about mags,genuine CZ mags work best.The 75B runs both CZ and Mec-Gar mags just fine.The 75B was my main match gun for a couple of years.I've got quite a few rounds down the pipe of the 75B with no issues except with my reloads.You have to watch your OAL,keep them kind of short.I've been playing with a G22 this year because I think the trigger is a little better,its easier to work on,and mags are easier to get,better sights,etc.I've been thinking about doing an open gun on that 75B,so I definately haven't given up on the platform.

If you like the way it shoots for you, consider getting a new one from your local dealer. You'll get a warranty, and the dealer gets a good sale, and that warranty is worth the $50 more, IMO. If you are gonna shoot it in comps, you're gonna put a lot of rounds through it. Not that CZs have issues, but they are mechanical things and can and will break at some point. If you are really looking for a competition gun, consider getting a SP01 or shadow thats been tuned from Angus/Canyon and start off with a really nice trigger, instead of doing it later. Only a couple hundred more, and thats not much when you'll spend that much on bullets every few months.

I am not sure, but IMO, CZ does not make a bad gun?

I have 3, and one is a 75b and really like it. I shoot all of my CZ's on a regular basis and never had any problem that was the fault of the gun. If these guys are giving you advice on looking at a different model ((CZ) take the info and go get a CZ (any CZ), If it fits, you probably will fall in love within a short time. any CZ model.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a CZ85 Combat and a 75D PCR Compact with and action job by Angus. After shooting the 75 I quit using the 85 in competition. For some reason the grip suits me better and I'm shooting straighter. I use my 75 in IDPA, IPSC, Multi-Gun, Steel, Action Pistol. I haven't been able to beat the Open guys with the race guns, but still having fun the same. I am looking at buying a race gun in .38 Super and starting to do some reloading. It should be interesting. I paid $485 for the 75 and $180 for the trigger job. I"m happy with both and a firm believer in buying new. You're not buying other folks problems.

Enjoy