Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris xtr-14

manderson2228

OK. I tried low mounts for the scope (flat top AR) but they seen too be too low. Looks like I'll need medium rings or high?

Jack,

If you're not using a riser, you'll need high or extra high rings. I use a 1.2" riser and low rings. Puts the scope about the same height as a Larue.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. I tried low mounts for the scope (flat top AR) but they seen too be too low. Looks like I'll need medium rings or high?

Jack,

If you're not using a riser, you'll need high or extra high rings. I use a 1.2" riser and low rings. Puts the scope about the same height as a Larue.

Whats a riser? I have a flat top JP Upper. Wondering if I can get by with just extra high rings?

Its here! I really like it so far. :rolleyes:

Of course, SWFA screwed up again! They only sent me one ring! One ! :angry2: I told the moron on the phone that I needed rings to mount the scope. he sent one freakin' ring!

Mine was waiting at home for me too!! :cheers:

I had a chance to mount it. OMG this thing is AWESOME! I ran a weaver v3 1-3x last year, then the millet. I liked the weaver except it was only 3x and no mildots or anything. The Burris reminds me of the weaver but better. The FOV is great at 1x. I'm even able to see the machine markings on the compensator just peeking in the very bottom of the FOV. I held it side by side with the millet and the reticle on the burris is SO much better. The dot is finer. The reticle overall is much... neater.. sharper.. less obtrusive but extremely useful. I didn't realize how fine the 200 yd dot was until I thought the reticle was defective. It wasn't until I sighted something outside I could see the dot. This was one of my biggest complaints about the millet. At 200 yards, the dot was covering almost the entire A zone. With the Burris you do have to pick out the tiny little 200 yd dot, but it should be so much more accurate at that distance. I do wonder why the 300 dot went back up in size though. You'd think it would be small too.

Unfortunately, the weather sucks this weekend so I can't shoot it :angry2:

Lee, when you shoot a match you'll understand why. Most of the time I put the 100 yard dot on the plate at 200 yrds and your still good. I can understand using it if you where shooting 4 inch plates @ 200 then it would be handy. At 300 it's dead on and for the up close stuff (head shots) I use the 2nd hash mark down and it hits dead center of the A zone using a SPR-E mount. I like the reticle because there is enough info in there to process fast and not too much to lock up you hard drive. Good stuff for the money!

Chris C.

My XTR is at Burris right now having the reticle changed to a crosshair/plex - I loved the reticle, but found it too small; I would lose the retilcle if I looked in to vegetation or at dark background -

I know, turn the illumination on, but the battery life keeps that from being a real option - with a heavier cross hair I think I can use this scope bettter indoors and outdoors - I will sight in for 200 yards and call it good -

I really wanted to make the supplied reticle work, but it was frustrating moving the gun around the living room and losing the crosshair - like looking through a telescope - worthless -

BTW, it is a true 1x - works well up close -

sw

Are you guys using a 100 or 200 yard zero with this scope? If 200 you are using the 200 yard dot right?

I zeroed at 100 and it was fine at 300. I think Benny Hill made a post a while back and he zeros his at 200. I myself have had no issues and have shot mine out to 387 yrds and the 400 hash was good. But I load mine kinda hot. That's what my barrell likes.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

Well, we got out to play with the XTR today. My son really likes it and shot it well. Below is his 1st 100yds group after I sighted it in. Then his second 200 yds group.

I sighted the rifle in a 100yds to be dead-on with factory Winchester 55 grn FMJs. No problem. The rifle groups consistently. After I got is zero'd at 100, I let John shoot and he shot the 1st group below. So, I let him try at 200yds. He has never shot at that distance. He shot 5 rounds and they went over the target! :surprise: WTF? So, I asked which dot he was using. Turns out, he was using the 300yds dot! :wacko: Once we figured that out, he shot the 10 shot group below.

I had nice groups with it at 100yd and decent at 200yds. I really like the scope.

post-950-1223866877_thumb.jpg

post-950-1223866897_thumb.jpg

guys...is the scope you are all pertaining to the Burris XTR 1-4x with the Illuminated Ballistic 5.56 reticle?

or the Burris Euro Diamond 1-4x with an Illuminated Ballistic 5.56 reticle?

Edited by foxyyy

guys...is the scope you are all pertaining to the Burris XTR 1-4x with the Illuminated Ballistic 5.56 reticle?

or the Burris Euro Diamond 1-4x with an Illuminated Ballistic 5.56 reticle?

Both kinda... The Burris XTR 1-4x with the Ballistic Plex is illuminated. The current Euro Diamond 1-4x with the Ballistic Reticle is now only offered in an illuminated version as well. Up until a few months ago, Burris offered a non-illuminated version in the Euro Diamond line. Most places (midway etc) had closeout sales until those were gone from their stocks. However, at least one store (see Chris Connely's post above) still had some in stock. There was about $100 difference in price between the older non-illuminated and current illuminated offering which was why some of us were looking around for them. It was also a source of confusion for me because it wasn't until this thread I realized they had discontinued the non-illum version. Several people talked about getting them as recently as July and August.

This is all discussing the Ballistic Plex in the XTR line. Burris does have "Ballistic Plex" reticles in the Fullfield line and maybe another as well. The one we're referring to is calibrated (or whatever word fits best) for 5.56 and comes with a chart with the specifics of the load and bullet etc used.

There are a few people who have the German #3 reticle in the same scope (and at least one gentleman posting above who sent his back to have his ballistic reticle replaced with the german #3). I believe there are illum and non-illum versions of the #3 too.

Hope this helps.

Jack,

Whats a riser? I have a flat top JP Upper. Wondering if I can get by with just extra high rings?

Apparently I missed this...

I use either a modified A.R.M.S. SWAN sleeve (fancy 1/2" riser) or a Hahn (essentially the same thing but I don't have to modify them) and low rings. Allows me to switch scopes around easily and gives me the option of mounting scopes forward for eye relief. Works the same as a LaRue or an AMD, but cheaper in the long run.

Edited by Scout454

Both kinda... The Burris XTR 1-4x with the Ballistic Plex is illuminated. The current Euro Diamond 1-4x with the Ballistic Reticle is now only offered in an illuminated version as well. Up until a few months ago, Burris offered a non-illuminated version in the Euro Diamond line. Most places (midway etc) had closeout sales until those were gone from their stocks. However, at least one store (see Chris Connely's post above) still had some in stock. There was about $100 difference in price between the older non-illuminated and current illuminated offering which was why some of us were looking around for them. It was also a source of confusion for me because it wasn't until this thread I realized they had discontinued the non-illum version. Several people talked about getting them as recently as July and August.

This is all discussing the Ballistic Plex in the XTR line. Burris does have "Ballistic Plex" reticles in the Fullfield line and maybe another as well. The one we're referring to is calibrated (or whatever word fits best) for 5.56 and comes with a chart with the specifics of the load and bullet etc used.

There are a few people who have the German #3 reticle in the same scope (and at least one gentleman posting above who sent his back to have his ballistic reticle replaced with the german #3). I believe there are illum and non-illum versions of the #3 too.

Hope this helps.

still confused..so what's the difference between the XTR & Euro Diamond if both have the 5.56 ballistic reticle? did they already fixed the bad review they got from the xtr?

burris xtr cons ---5th post from top

burris xtr cons ---4th post from top

Edited by foxyyy

Hope this helps.

still confused..so what's the difference between the XTR & Euro Diamond if both have the 5.56 ballistic reticle? did they already fixed the bad review they got from the xtr?

burris xtr cons ---5th post from top

burris xtr cons ---4th post from top

Actually I'm mistaken. I don't see the ballistic reticle offered at all anymore in the Euro Diamond series. Previously they offered a non-illuminated version of the BP in the Euro series. But it has been discontinued. You're best information will be from the Burris site.

Euro Diamond Series

XTR Series

There are ample reviews here as well including this thread. Search is your friend.

• 3 weeks later...

So I ordered one of these scopes and was going to order the Larue SPR for it today. But I can't find anywhere that says what the tube diameter is. 1" or 30mm? Also which SPR is best, the standard or the E which extends even further. I'm currently running a CQ/T on just the standard rail.

So I ordered one of these scopes and was going to order the Larue SPR for it today. But I can't find anywhere that says what the tube diameter is. 1" or 30mm? Also which SPR is best, the standard or the E which extends even further. I'm currently running a CQ/T on just the standard rail.

XTR is a 30mm tube.

Now if I could only get the XTR reticle in my Accupoint with its ability to light up during bright sunlight?

I tried out several illuminated scopes in the past year and found them severely lacking illumination for bright sun hoser stages.

Had no problem last year at Ft. Benning, ran plates out to 400 almost one for one. My TR21R Accupoint has very positive and repeatable clicks and I just went to a 300 yard zero from the normal 250 and held over close in.

However rumors of 600 yard paper are making me think an XTR isn't such a bad idea. When is the improved illumination due out??

Just think how nice it would be to have the Accupoint glass, a 30mm tube & the Trijicon illumination with the XTR reticle :surprise:!!

However found out today I may have to go to school for a few weeks in November which will destroy plans for Benning this year. :angry2:

MIDWAY USA has these on sale for $539.99 with there Veterans Day Sale email special. :cheers:

part # 488875

Do you have the sale code?

They sent me a Veterans Day sale email. I emailed you the link. when I clicked on it, it prompted me to sign in.

MIDWAY USA has these on sale for $539.99 with there Veterans Day Sale email special. :cheers:

part # 488875

Do you have the sale code?

They sent me a Veterans Day sale email. I emailed you the link. when I clicked on it, it prompted me to sign in.

Derek,

I got the link. Thank you.

I just tried ordering one from Midway last week and after billing my card for the full amount called the next day and said they were backordered till January. They took care of it promptly but may not be a good choice if you want one for Benning.

That's odd, they have them listed as available.