Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris xtr-14

manderson2228

I am trying to decide between a LPV like the burris or an eotech..

I want to have the ability to shoot 0-300 but I am concerned that the burris won't be good close up with the magnification during hoser stages...What has everyones experience been?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to have the ability to shoot 0-300 but I am concerned that the burris won't be good close up with the magnification during hoser stages...What has everyones experience been?

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, but the ability to shoot from 0-300 has nothing to do with your choice in optics. I say find a scope you like, don't look for a scope to make you a better shooter. There are guys who shoot ACOGs, 3 or 4 power, who shoot just fine up close. I am leaning toward the Burris XTR myself, but a Leupold 1.5-5 looks kinda nice too.

I had a eotech first and got rid of that for a burris 1x4 xtr. The eotech is awesome for up close but not that easy to shoot past 200 yrds. I am no expert though. The burris only gives up a little on a real close stage, if any. :unsure:

I have been reading this thread and am very interested in the this scope. One thing that concerns me are the comments re: the illuminated reticle fading out in bright sunlight. Other illuminated Burris scopes I have can fade-out in bright light. However, the non-illuminated reticle remains visible (ie. the I still have a cross hair even though the illumination is faded out). Looking at info for the XTR, I don't see a "hard" reticle if the illuminated portion in the center is gone. Am I wrong? In other words, if the illumination is faded out by bright light, will I have any reticle remaining in the center part of the scope? Just wanted to be sure before I "pull the trigger on one." Otherwise, I am looking at the Euro-Diamond 1X4 with the illuminated German reticle. I know the reticle remains of the illumination is faded out on that scope. Thanks.

I have been reading this thread (and the other) and am very interested in the this scope. One thing that concerns me are the comments re: the illuminated reticle fading out in bright sunlight. Other illuminated Burris scopes I have can fade-out in bright light. However, the non-illuminated reticle remains visible (ie. the I still have a cross hair even though the illumination is faded out). Looking at info for the XTR, I don't see a "hard" reticle if the illuminated portion in the center is gone. Am I wrong? In other words, if the illumination is faded out by bright light, will I have any reticle remaining in the center part of the scope? Just wanted to be sure before I "pull the trigger on one." Otherwise, I am looking at the Euro-Diamond 1X4 with the illuminated German reticle. I know the reticle remains of the illumination is faded out on that scope. Thanks.

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, but the ability to shoot from 0-300 has nothing to do with your choice in optics. I say find a scope you like, don't look for a scope to make you a better shooter. There are guys who shoot ACOGs, 3 or 4 power, who shoot just fine up close. I am leaning toward the Burris XTR myself, but a Leupold 1.5-5 looks kinda nice too.

So I should be ok with a 10x fixed scope for up close stuff then?

I had a eotech first and got rid of that for a burris 1x4 xtr. The eotech is awesome for up close but not that easy to shoot past 200 yrds. I am no expert though. The burris only gives up a little on a real close stage, if any. :unsure:

Thank you.. This is the kind of info I was looking for. Most of the stages I will be shooting will be hozer type stages but I don't like the idea of switching back and forth depending on the stage. I want to get really proficient using one scope that can do it all.

Jack -

I bought an XTR 14 and liked it enough that I bought a Eurodiamond for the other rifle. Same reticle, no illumination. I also have a couple of Leupold 1.5-5's.

The XTR illumination washes out (on mine). The reticle remains sharp and visible. FWIW, the illumination on my Mk4 washes out too. The XTR is better up close that the Mk4 simply because it's a true 1 power and the Leupold is actually about 1.6 so you get a wider FOV with the Burris. I like the Mk 4 better for 400-500 yards because the SPR reticle is "finer" and the crosshairs cover less target. BTW, Robbie Wheaton has an XTR that's about the same vintage as mine is and he says his illumination works in bright light.

10x is way too much magnification. Using the Search function will yield tons of info on scope discussions. Too, trial and error is not a bad thing. I'm testing a couple of different optics now (TA01NSN, TA-11 and Accupoint) and each have their pluses and minuses.

Go head first into one and then find out what works and doesn't work for you.

Rich

For the people who are buying the XTR Eurodiamond, are you getting the Ballistic Plex reticle non-illuminated? If so where? For the life of me I can't find a non-illuminated version on Midway or SWFA. I am so close to pulling the trigger on one of these but $$ is holding me back. If I could find the ballistic plex non-illuminated... All I see is the German reticle.

For the people who are buying the XTR Eurodiamond, are you getting the Ballistic Plex reticle non-illuminated? If so where? For the life of me I can't find a non-illuminated version on Midway or SWFA. I am so close to pulling the trigger on one of these but $$ is holding me back. If I could find the ballistic plex non-illuminated... All I see is the German reticle.

Lee,

According to Burris' 2008 Catalog, the XTR is only available with the illuminated reticle. the Euro-Diamond 1X4X24 is available in their 3P#4 "German reticle", either Standard or Illuminated. Those are the only 1X scopes they offer.

I am going to Sportsman's Warehouse at lunch to see if they have any.

Edited by Jack Suber

For a while, there was a Midway exclusive Euro Diamond. It was 1-4, non illuminated with the XTR reticle. One of my coworkers has one.

I have not had a chance to take my XTR out and put some serious time in with it. I'm hoping to do that sometime in November.

Today, I went to a local store and checked out an XTR-14. Wow! Nice! Very clear and easy to acquire a sight picture. It is sturdy. What I wondered about was how fine the reticle was - would it be hard to focus acquire in a hurry? This store was proud of them - $800.00 with the Fastfire.

I also checked out the Euro Diamond 1X4 illuminated with German Plex reticle. It appears to be the exact optics/build except with the different reticle. It was also about $200 less. So, I was wondering why not a standard reticle? Decisions, decisions.

Today, I went to a local store and checked out an XTR-14. Wow! Nice! Very clear and easy to acquire a sight picture. It is sturdy. What I wondered about was how fine the reticle was - would it be hard to focus acquire in a hurry? This store was proud of them - $800.00 with the Fastfire.

I also checked out the Euro Diamond 1X4 illuminated with German Plex reticle. It appears to be the exact optics/build except with the different reticle. It was also about $200 less. So, I was wondering why not a standard reticle? Decisions, decisions.

I have the non illuminated version which I guess is the Euro Diamond with the XTR reticle. I didn't know there was a difference but I guess there is. I think Midway has them around for $500-$600. I got mine at a local store for $450 or so. But that was when they came out during the first part of this year. For me I don't need illumination but some folks like it.

I tried to post a picture but it won't upload.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

I bought my Euro Diamond with the XTR 5.56 reticle from Midway in July. Burris' Item " 200968-556. I don't see it on Midway tonight though. IIRC, it was around $450.

What are you guys mouting these babies on the larue spr I had kind of taken for granted that I would use the SPR until i saw the price :surprise:

219 seems awfully steep for a small chunk of metal..

Now I have to go look at the euro diamond. See what thats all about.

I bought my Euro Diamond with the XTR 5.56 reticle from Midway in July. Burris' Item " 200968-556. I don't see it on Midway tonight though. IIRC, it was around $450.

What are you guys mouting these babies on the larue spr I had kind of taken for granted that I would use the SPR until i saw the price :surprise:

SPR-E and forget about it. I know the price is steep but you won't be sorry.

Chris C.

Chris C.

Thats assuming I can still pay my mortgage!!! I know they are good. Was planning on 100-150.. 219.. WOW..

When I google that part number a Midway link is at the top. The status is "Discontinued by the Manufacturer"... dang it :angry2: Ah well I guess I'll have to save just a few more pennies for the Ill version.

Non-Ill Ballistic Plex at Midway - Discontinued :(

I am not sure how worthwhile it is to look for that reticle. I read that it was calibrated with a certain grain weight and everything. I get the feeling that if you use any other type of ammo that it wasn't calibrated with you will be off a bit.. If I am wrong feel free to correct me..

Chris C.

Thats assuming I can still pay my mortgage!!! I know they are good. Was planning on 100-150.. 219.. WOW..

I just make my son go and mow a few more yards for me. :P Just joking, but I know what you mean. I tried different mounts but ended up going to the Larue because it's so rugged. I was in a match once and banged my scope while discarding it on the table. Lost zero and the rest is history. That won't happen any more.

Chris C.

When I google that part number a Midway link is at the top. The status is "Discontinued by the Manufacturer"... dang it :angry2: Ah well I guess I'll have to save just a few more pennies for the Ill version.

Non-Ill Ballistic Plex at Midway - Discontinued :(

I am not sure how worthwhile it is to look for that reticle. I read that it was calibrated with a certain grain weight and everything. I get the feeling that if you use any other type of ammo that it wasn't calibrated with you will be off a bit.. If I am wrong feel free to correct me..

If you load your own you can tune the load to the reticle. I think the reticle is for a 62 grn bullet traveling @ X feet per second. I can look if you want me to.

Chris C.