Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M945

George D

I have recently acquired a new S&W model 945 and have put about 1500 rounds through it. I am using 200 gr H&G#68 LSWC, 1.25 OAL, 231 and WST and experimenting with velocities around 750-800. The S&W Performance Centre has advised me that the standard spring that comes with the gun is appropriate for these velocities.

I am getting 1 or 2 rounds per hundred that fail to feed. They hang up against the chamber cover and prevent the slide going to battery. Easing the slide back 1/2" and letting it go clears the jam.

I chose the 200 gr H&G#68 because a search of threads showed opinions that this projectile is as reliable as can be obtained in a 1911. BUT, does the S&W 945 have a similar magazine/ramp configuration as the 1911?

Any suggestions as to possible causes of these jams would be gratefully received. Also welcome would be any comments on this pistol.

Thanking all in anticipation.

Lets assume that it works 100% with factory 230gr hardball, which is around 850fps.  I will then assume that your Reloaded ammo crimp is sufficient, around.468-.470.  Your OAL sounds good. Lets also assume that you chamber check or with a case gauge all your reloaded rounds to know that none of them are suspect.   I would then start bumping up your powder charge to cycle the slide more.  You are in the lower range of power for your recoil spring.   Load some of the 200 swc with 5.5 W231 and see if the gun runs 100%.  If it does you will need a lighter recoil spring, since the loads are a little lighter than normal.  Good luck, Doug