Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA Witness LTD Extended Mag Release Solution

CHA-LEE

Well I don't know about you guys but for me the stock mag release button is nearly impossible to get to AND keep your strong hand in its locked in position. You have to shift your strong hand to the left in order to get your thumb over the mag release button. Since there are currently no other aftermarket options for this I decided to tackle this myself. I used the stock mag release button and cut down the checkering. Then I drilled and tapped a 4mm hole in the back end of it so I could install a screw with washers under it to adjust the height of the screw head. This seems like a simple task right??? Well to my surprise the mag release button is case hardened steel and a complete pain to drill much less tap. I don't have a drill press so I tore into this thing with a mini vice, a cordless drill and a dremel. What can't be done with a dremel and some motivation right :) About 4 hours later and wasting at least 10 drill bits and other dremel bits I finally got the hole drilled through the mag release button. Then I started the task of tapping the hole, which was going well until I snapped the tap off in the mag release button. Needless to say frustration was starting to set in, but I wasn’t going to give up that easy. I got the dremel back in action and carefully dremeled out the broken tap then continued with the taping process. I took it a lot easier this time while tapping it so it took a while to get it done. But persistence paid off and I was able to get it drilled, tapped, and all polished up. I put it in the pistol and test fitted a couple of washer height settings until it felt right and wasn't in the way. Now I can easily push the mag release button AND keep my strong hand in its normal position :cheers:

Below are some pic's of my handy work. Let me know what you guys think. Maybe Henning can take this idea and run with it so everyone can have one? I can tell you this, I won't be doing this modification again any time soon due to the difficulty of working with the super hard steel of the mag release button.

EAA_Witness_Limited.jpg

EAA_Witness_Mag_Release_1.jpg

EAA_Witness_Mag_Release_2.jpg

EAA_Witness_Mag_Release_3.jpg

shooterbenedetto> If I had a TIG welder I would have welded on an extension and been done with it in less than an hour. But I don't have access to a TIG welder any more so another strategy was needed. I also liked using the screw method because I can easly change the height of it, screw head diamiters and things like that to tailor it to my needs.

That's pretty cool.

I had similar (but worse) problems trying to drill and tap holes for a C-more mount in my old school Competition frame. Went through a dozen drill bits AND taps to make six holes. Darn that' some hard metal! :surprise:

I was able to give this bad boy a try today at the range. It was sticking out a little too far and I softened up the mag release spring a little too much so my weak hand would push the button in when I gripped the pistol really hard. I forgot to bring an allen wrench with me to remove a washer or two to lower it <_< so I was basically done for the day.

I headed back home and lowered the height of the mag release screw a little bit and also tightened back up the spring. I tested this out at home gripping it really hard and even using incorrect weak hand positions to try and push the mag release button on accident and couldn’t get it to fail like it was doing at the range. So I will head back out to the range tomorrow to give it some live fire testing to see how it does. Even if I have to use less washers its still WAY better than the stock setup so I am happy.

Edited by CHA-LEE

I was able to give this bad boy a try today at the range. It was sticking out a little too far and I softened up the mag release spring a little too much so my weak hand would push the button in when I gripped the pistol really hard. I forgot to bring an allen wrench with me to remove a washer or two to lower it <_< so I was basically done for the day.

I headed back home and lowered the height of the mag release screw a little bit and also tightened back up the spring. I tested this out at home gripping it really hard and even using incorrect weak hand positions to try and push the mag release button on accident and couldn’t get it to fail like it was doing at the range. So I will head back out to the range tomorrow to give it some live fire testing to see how it does. Even if I have to use less washers its still WAY better than the stock setup so I am happy.

Good job! you really have to test it our specially on dry firing to make

sure it fits your grip and hand.

that looks like something I could use....Does it interfere with your grip,...have you accidentally pressed it and dropped a mag?

It was on my gun first, and I never had a problem with it. Then I traded it with henning for him to use in Europe and I think he sold it on a gun. He thought it was a little big for him. But for me I have smaller hands then his huge gorilla hands, I liked it. I think a little smaller and shaped would be a improvement.

Leo

Nevermind Leo got to ya first... Damn...

that looks like something I could use....Does it interfere with your grip,...have you accidentally pressed it and dropped a mag?
Edited by JoshF

Alright, I got it all fine tuned now and it works great. No more accidential mag release issues and I can reach it and release the magazine without needing to shift my stong hand to get to it. I switched the screw out with a counter sink type with a matching aluminum washer to make it feel and look better. Let me know what you guys think.

EAA_Witness_Mag_Release_4.jpg

Alright, I got it all fine tuned now and it works great. No more accidential mag release issues and I can reach it and release the magazine without needing to shift my stong hand to get to it. I switched the screw out with a counter sink type with a matching aluminum washer to make it feel and look better. Let me know what you guys think.

EAA_Witness_Mag_Release_4.jpg

I'd add a little checkering on it but not too much that you

can not get a grip on the screw. should be better!!

shooterbenedetto> Good idea. I will look into that. I could at least put some grip tape on it, but that might come off easy.

Put a drop of super glue under it and that should keep it from coming off until you want it to.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been able to use this in a couple of matches and it works like a dream. No shifting of the strong hand to reach the mag release button and no accidential mag drops due to hitting it with my weak hand. I have added a little circle of grip tape to the head of the screw and am looking forward to trying it out in the heat of the moment at the next match. So far with dry firing and mag change practice its even better because of the increased traction of the grip tape.