Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer pick-up problems on my RL 550B

werewolf45auto

Now I'm not good with all the names of all the parts so hange with me. A while back my 550 would not pick up a primer one in a hundred, then it got a little worse so I gave a good cleaning and it worked fine for a while longer. Now it almost never picks up a primer and I got lazy/used to pulling the handle with my right hand and giving the primer a slight pull with my left hand. But now I'm sick of it as its slowing my production. The primer pick up come just short of picking one up.

Any Advise

How old ? How much use ?

These things run perfect and then just crap out. My 550 was running great. I have no idea how many loads on it as I got it second hand and it was well used then. It started the 1 in a 100 thing just like you described. Then it started getting so bad I could hardly stand it. The primer bar had so much slop it was crazy.

New feed tip, new primer bar assembly & new return spring and it was perfect.

Call Dillon.

Pull the inner primer tube out and look at the plastic tip. It's bent. Compare it to the one for the other size primer. Call Dillon for a replacement and buy a spare parts kit so you'll be prepared for any further mishaps.

You are right.

I have a spare parts kit and compared it to the others and if I wouldn't have had anything to compair it to I would have called that bent. But the gap on my old one was wide and the ney ones were almost touching. I ran five cases through it when it was all back up and it ran great. Now I have to brake the habit of reaching for the bar and next time I won't wait so long when somthing goes wrong.

Thanks for all the help,

Dave

Edited by werewolf45auto

Pull the inner primer tube out and look at the plastic tip. It's bent. Compare it to the one for the other size primer. Call Dillon for a replacement and buy a spare parts kit so you'll be prepared for any further mishaps.

You are right.

I have a spare parts kit and compared it to the others and if I wouldn't have had anything to compair it to I would have called that bent. But the gap on my old one was wide and the new ones were almost touching. I ran five cases through it when it was all back up and it ran great. Now I have to brake the habit of reaching for the bar and next time I won't wait so long when somthing goes wrong.

Thanks for all the help,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

The primer feed plastic tip is a consumable item. I replace them whenever the primer feed shows any signs of getting cranky. Also, the shuttle bar will pick up bits of spilled powder and start to bind., Be sure and scrape any plastered/smashed powder bits off when you do your cleaning.