Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prize Table Distribution

There would be only two conditions that I would want cash pay outs:

1. You get rid of classifications entirely. Sandbagging is too big of an issue, and in my opinion would only get worse when there is a financial incentive to do so.

Only the division champion would win the pot, then.

2. Everyone is considered unclassified when they show up to the match. At the match, at least 3 of stages would be "classifiers". The classifier stages's scores would also be used to figure in the total score for the entire match. People will get rank ordered by how they do on the classifiers and then whatever cash pot is left at the end of the match is dolled out based on their new "classifications" and overall placement.

Sandbagging is the simplest thing in the world to deal with.

If a shooter wins a Class Purse at a match with say 150 or more shooters (USPSA could set the number or criteria) and you receive a bump to next Class. We have 6 Classifications therefore you would only have 5 chances to sandbag assuming you are a GM shooter. If you do get bumped above your ability then after competing below your Class percentage in five consecutive matches meeting the bump criteria, you could petition for a lower class.

I grew up shooting Trap very competitively where the temptation to sandbag could be argued to be stronger than any shooting sport. Sandbagging is really not that big of an issue. Sure there are those that try but the effort they expend to sandbag eventually is more than it takes to become a better shooter and they are simply left in the dust to the true competitors and quickly become insignificant. Their is tons more money in Trap, enough so you can seriously offset the costs of shooting and sometimes even make a little. I had $18,000 in my bank account when I went to college after paying for my gun, travel, ammo, targets, and match fees during my junior and senior years of high school.

IMHO giving competitors a chance to offset costs would significantly help the sport, especially during those times when it is harder to shoot from an economic standpoint. The big bonus is that it can be done so as to be transparent to the competitors. Those who want to shoot for fun and trophies will not be affected in the slightes by the participants who want to play the purses and vice versa.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BK wrote:
NSSA(National Skeet Shooting Association). How about using something like this for a pay out for cash?

http://www.mynssa.com/CMS/NSSADisplayPage....e%20The%20Money

Just a thought.

edit to put in example.

Match fee $100.00 say $50.00 goes toward match $45.00 goes to class pool and $5.00 to champion pool of that division.

You have 74 total shooters in Limited Division. who ever is the division champion does not get class purse just champion purse.

Champion of the Division would get $370.00

GM 7 shooters 60/40 split $189.00/$126.00

M class 9 shooters 50/30/20 split $202.50/$121.50/$81.00

A class 12 shooters 40/30/20/10 split $216.00/$162.00/$108.00/$54.00

B class 21 shooters split same as A class $378.00/$283.50/$189.00/$94.50

C class 18 shooters same split as A&b class $324.00/$243.00/$162.00/$81.00

D class 7 shooters 60/40 split $189.00/$126.00

What do you think? Like I said just a thought. The more shooters the bigger the purse.

I took the number of shooters from this years Area 3 match the unclassified shooters not entered for prize money.

You can move the money around anyway you want less toward class pool,more toward champion pool..... you get the idea.

BK

There would be only two conditions that I would want cash pay outs:

1. You get rid of classifications entirely. Sandbagging is too big of an issue, and in my opinion would only get worse when there is a financial incentive to do so.

Only the division champion would win the pot, then.

I do NOT know that much about skeet so I do NOT know if there are divisions or not like there is USPSA (or IDPA). Division jumping sandbagging in USPSA (IDPA) makes it too easy to be a "sleeper" when one goes to a major match.

In skeet there are also classifications. The classes in skeet are AAA,AA,A,B,C,D, E classes. Each class has a pay out. It is pretty simple. In my opinion it would work. Lets face it most of the people ( I didnt say all) that win the big prizes guns,certificates ect... end up selling them anyway. I am not saying not to have a donated prize table (as a bonus) the cash pay out would work for all classes the more shooters that show up the higher the purses. NSSA has been around for years if you read the link it is explained better than I can explain it.

BK

^^^ I was talking about divisions.

Since I do NOT know anything about trap or skeet, I was strictly referring to divisions. I'm ASSuming everyone is shooting the same CoF's with essentially the same kinda shotguns. AFAIK, about the only thing I have heard changing was the gauge of the shotgun, and possibly the distance back (from the trap house).

So I don't know if people get classified in the .410 division or the 12 gauge division. They get moved to AA with the 12, do they also division jump and sandbag (down) to the 28 gauge in D class?

As a marketing and business ploy, yeah, I do get the classification system.

On the flip side... I do think it's like a security blanket for some folks. And in some respects I think it is like a token economy. I also think in some respects it rewards mediocrity too.

The classification system insulates shooters.

If one were to listen to some of the hard liners here, at least I would think they would go along with my idea of getting rid of the classifications and only rewarding the division champs with whatever prize(s) or cash.

Now... I feel like I'm beating a dead horse.