Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide locking back

Mo Hepworth

Slide locked back a few times at a match,...with more than one round in the mag. Happened a few times with my Henning mag and a few times with my Tanfoglio mags. Not sure why,.....does the bottom of my slide needed to be beveled,..or is the slide lever doing it....Somehow getting pushed up????

Slide locked back a few times at a match,...with more than one round in the mag. Happened a few times with my Henning mag and a few times with my Tanfoglio mags. Not sure why,.....does the bottom of my slide needed to be beveled,..or is the slide lever doing it....Somehow getting pushed up????

Mo

was there more then one round left in the mag when it locked up? if only one round then i would bet your mags sit high in the gun and the follower is activiting your slide lock. if you want your slide to lock back take down the little square on the front left side of the mag follower. if you don't care if your slide locks back, then file the edge off of your slide lock.

thanks Walter,

I had the other problem with one round,..and adjusted my mags....this new problem happened with more than one round left inthe mag...must be the slide getting caught at the back some how,..but also might be the mag body of the tanfoglio possibly pressing up against the slide lever causing the slide to lock back :blink: .....happened with 4 rds left inthe mag :wacko:

never had this problem with my Stock 2,..just the Limited Custom .40.

Edited by Mo Hepworth

My mags used to work perfect for many years, and then the gun suddenly started being infrequent about it. If you ask experienced 1911 shooters, most of them have removed the slidestop function altogether. All for the same reason. You cannot rely on the slide stop to lock back only on empty, they just don't do that. Plus you can accidentally hit it with your hand. So I just use a pin. I now have the TiteFit pin in stock which besides being a tough little thing, pushes the barrel up into lock more so that the factory and the EGW pin. With that you will always have the slide going forward, even on empty. But you'll know it will. I can see for you 10 rounders that the slidestop function is very convenient. For Limited and Open shooters we don't care about it as much and rather have it being acting the same way every time.

My open gun used to do this when I first had it... Turns out I was nudging it with my thumb, it sticks out more than a 1911 slide stop so I never had that problem until I moved to the Tanfoglio. If you mark up the bottom of the slide stop with a sharpie and see if there is a mark on your thumb after shooting.

Henning's new slide pin is super tight... I may have to get one.

When I shoot my Match in USPSA limited I use Henning's pin. For IDPA I want the slide stop. Mine used to do the same thing. I think rounds were hitting the slide stop. I took a file to the part that protrudes over the magazine. Take a little off at a time until it stops going to slide lock.

When I shoot my Match in USPSA limited I use Henning's pin. For IDPA I want the slide stop. Mine used to do the same thing. I think rounds were hitting the slide stop. I took a file to the part that protrudes over the magazine. Take a little off at a time until it stops going to slide lock.

what I am going to do is file off part of the bottom of the slide stop that the mag on a couple of mags appears to be contacting. Also, very little movement of the slide stop up causes the slide to catch. Perhaps if I polish/sand down the sharp ridge on the slide so it does not agressively contact the slide stop......or just sand down the slide stop at the point it does catch the slide.

what I am going to do is file off part of the bottom of the slide stop that the mag on a couple of mags appears to be contacting. Also, very little movement of the slide stop up causes the slide to catch. Perhaps if I polish/sand down the sharp ridge on the slide so it does not agressively contact the slide stop......or just sand down the slide stop at the point it does catch the slide.

Mo:

Take the slide off and insert a mag loaded with 4 rounds and see if the lead round is contacting the stop, and try it with different round counts in the mags. My guess is that's what's happening. If it is contacting, or even if it's close, just knock the top of the stop off with a file. You can also play with different bullet profiles, but in Production you won't be able to replace it with just a pin.

Knock on wood,....but my production gun works great. THis happened on my LC. Sight came loose again. She is coming apart for some minor tinkering and some loctite.

Ah, in that case just knock the hook off the slide stop and leave it at that. I had the same issue with mine and that fixed it.

Or buy a pin from Henning and the problem goes away forever.

Knock on wood,....but my production gun works great. THis happened on my LC. Sight came loose again. She is coming apart for some minor tinkering and some loctite.

Ah, in that case just knock the hook off the slide stop and leave it at that. I had the same issue with mine and that fixed it.

Or buy a pin from Henning and the problem goes away forever.

got my cart filled with some goodies,...just waiting for the new front sights to come in.