Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Powder System - SDB

It appears that something isn't right with the automatic powder system on my SDB. The powder bar doesn't move far enough to engage the failsafe return bracket. I adjusted the powder die down some. Now it the failsafe return bracket just barely moves into position, but my shells are bell-mouthed way too much. I've been through the parts diagram and don't see where anything is missing, but I can't figure out whats up. I left my camera at work today, but I can post some pictures tomorrow if it will help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My first 1500 rounds were a little inconsistent, but didn't give me any problems. I assumed it was due to my inexperience, and maybe because I bought a SDB instead of one of the higher end machines. Now I've got squib problems. Fortunately I found out I had ammo problems during practice, but as a result I am heading to my first big match with factory ammo because I don't trust anything I've got loaded.

(Edited to fix my spelling)

Edited by sperman

The SDB loader is a great loader, it just seem that you have things out of adjustment. If the case mouth is belled too much, adjust the die under the powder measure by screwing it out until the mouth is belled correctly. Hold the actuator arm fully foreward and adjust the blue wing nut on the bottom of the powder arm until it is compressed correctly. If this doesn't do the trick, call the Dillon customer support folks and let them talk you through the problems. They are great to deal with and can usually determine the problem in short order.

Edited by jfrey

Here is my powder assembly in the handle up position.

IMG_2681.jpg

And the handle down position.

IMG_2683.jpg

For the part 17838 to do any good it needs to move to the right a little more so it can pup up into the slot. If no one has any answers I will call Dillon tomorrow.

The wingnut gizmo on the bottom of the actuator rod that connects to the powder mechanism isn't adjusted properly. Tighten it up and you will throw correctly.

These tend to work themselves loose over time...for whatever reason. I adjusted mine, loaded a few hundred rounds and then hit it with blue locktite.

The wingnut gizmo on the bottom of the actuator rod that connects to the powder mechanism isn't adjusted properly. Tighten it up and you will throw correctly.

These tend to work themselves loose over time...for whatever reason. I adjusted mine, loaded a few hundred rounds and then hit it with blue locktite.

I don't understand how that will make a difference. Once the handle starts down, the rod, spring and wingnut gizmo are just hanging there. How can it affect anything that's happening at the bottom of the stroke.

I have to ask, do you have a case in position #2? The picture looks like it should without case in that position. That is about how far mine goes with no case in the #2 position.

Is this SDB new from Dillion or did you buy it used? What caliber? Got the correct funnel in place? If you have the Instruction Manual for the SDB, you should pretty much be able to right through setup procedure and figure it out, step-by-step.

I don't understand how that will make a difference. Once the handle starts down, the rod, spring and wingnut gizmo are just hanging there. How can it affect anything that's happening at the bottom of the stroke.

There is no real return spring on the SDB for the powder bar. The action of the press on the rod pulls the levers and moves the powder bar back home to pickup another charge. A full stroke is necessary to get the powder bar to pickup more powder (preventing a short-stroke double-charge).

Also, Homie is right. The powder charge is also case activated, with a safety interlock. If there is no case in the shell plate, the powder bar does not make a complete cycle, activating the interlock release and letting the thing cycle.

If I can summarize: The case moves the bar to drop the charge. The rod moves the bar back to pickup the next charge. Without a case, or with an extra long rod, the thing gets stuck in limbo (which is the correct and safe result).

I suggest you test it's operation through several cycles with cases in the shell plate.

Edited by Jeff686

• 6 years later...

You guys are great!!

I had the same problem as I was setting up my Dillon. I thought that the bar was bent etc...was waiting for Monday to call Dillon...you guys are totally correct. The power charge will not be activated unless there is a case in the press. It makes so much sense that it would work this way.... as you load the first shell and de-prime, powder would drop w/o a case in station 2. Instead, it does not because there is no shell. As you move the shell, it is in station 2 and will activate the powder drop.

Thanks so much!

Now why didn't Dillon explain that better in the setup instructions?

Now why didn't Dillon explain that better in the setup instructions?

Page 10 of the "newer" manual page 9 of my "old" manual.

As the powder funnel is carried upward by the cartridge it will operate your automatic powder measure and dispense the amount of powder chosen.