Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester Autocomp?

Tokarev

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supposedly, this powder is designed for comp'd guns. If so, then Winchester/Hogdon seriously missed the mark with a powder that can not make major in a USPSA Open gun.

JF - All Major Open loads in 9x19 Major and .38 Super (and variants thereof) are over listed data. AutoComp seems to be in the same ballpark as 7625, and lots of Open shooters use 7625, so they'll just exceed listed data like they do with other powders. It might work, it might not, but SAAMI pressure limits have never been an issue for Open shooters.

Uh, not quite, In less than a minute I found a whole bunch of published listed data making major in 38 Super and 1 load in 9mm with a 4 inch barrel with VVN105. I assume a few more would do it with a 5 + barrel. And this was main stream published Data from RCBS.load

I went to Vihta Vouri's website and found one 9x19 load and 22 .38 Super loads they list as making Major, so I may be wrong, but if their reported velocities are like the ones in US reloading data, there's no telling how many loads (if any) they report as making Major actually do so out of real handguns. They also show three standard pressure .38 Special loads making Major, which really requires a willful suspension of disbelief IMO. I believe that VV powders are good, but not that they're magical.

If I'm slow enough at work this week I'm going to call and see what they have to say about pushing 115's at 1475 to 1500 fps out of a 5" 9mm for Open Major. I'll report back on what they tell me and if anyone has a chance to call before I do, please post what they tell you.

VV has published .38 Super and .38 Super LAPUA (38SC) major loads listed with bullets as light as 115grs and 3N38, 3N37 and even N350 (174pf!). N105 will easily make major and is a touch slower than 3N38 (about half a grain more powder needed for the same PF) so they should easily be within SAAMI max pressures. With 124gr and 130gr bullets they do list major loads with N105....124gr max came in at 194pf!!! and 130gr came in at 189pf! So, it's pretty clear that there are a bunch of powder/bullet combos that easily make major within SAAMI spec limits. R,

Supposedly, this powder is designed for comp'd guns. If so, then Winchester/Hogdon seriously missed the mark with a powder that can not make major in a USPSA Open gun.

JF - All Major Open loads in 9x19 Major and .38 Super (and variants thereof) are over listed data. AutoComp seems to be in the same ballpark as 7625, and lots of Open shooters use 7625, so they'll just exceed listed data like they do with other powders. It might work, it might not, but SAAMI pressure limits have never been an issue for Open shooters.

Uh, not quite, In less than a minute I found a whole bunch of published listed data making major in 38 Super and 1 load in 9mm with a 4 inch barrel with VVN105. I assume a few more would do it with a 5 + barrel. And this was main stream published Data from RCBS.load

I went to Vihta Vouri's website and found one 9x19 load and 22 .38 Super loads they list as making Major, so I may be wrong, but if their reported velocities are like the ones in US reloading data, there's no telling how many loads (if any) they report as making Major actually do so out of real handguns. They also show three standard pressure .38 Special loads making Major, which really requires a willful suspension of disbelief IMO. I believe that VV powders are good, but not that they're magical.

It's The Mirrors. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

FM

I just went to Wally World to do some shopping and found Hodgdon's 2009 Annual Manual. They have listings for Autocomp for almost all the calibers we shoot - 9x19, .38 Super, .38 Special, .40 S&W and .45 ACP. On their burn rate chart, they have it listed right between HS6 and 3N37.

They also have a .38 Super load with the 135 grain Nosler and L'il Gun that makes Major (183+ PF). Bastards. :D

Me thinks this is a repackaging of Win Action Pistol. which is basically worthless as an action pistol powder. Too slow for good minor loads, too fast for major in .355 bullets. and too slow for anything in .40. May be a decent 10mm/40 pin load. But I really think the powers that be at Hodgdon really are kinda clueless.

Me thinks this is a repackaging of Win Action Pistol.

Joe - I kinda doubt this. WAP is already being sold as Ramshot Silhouette.

I present WW296- H110, W231-HP38

WAP being sold as Silhouette isnt really relevant.

But It may not be WAP in fact from comparing the data the new powder seams to give a little more velocity with the same powder charge which would lead me to believe it's a tad faster than WAP making it even more worthless for open major. Of course it could just be a variable in my older data or test barrels used.

Charles Petty notes in his current article that Auto Comp is very clean burning. That right there leads me to believe that it's not just WAP with a new name.

This is probably the same powder that Widener's was selling last year as "St. Marks #226." I wanted to try some but they were only selling it in eight pound jugs.

Edited by Tokarev

I drive by the St. Marks powder plant all the time. It's owned by General Dynamics. It's amazing that they can turn fat lighter stumps into gunpowder!!!

OK please explaint this one to me "Fat Lighter stumps into Gunpowder" :unsure: What is a Fat Lighter Stump?

is it real, or a joke that is too fast for me to catch?

Fat lighter stumps refers to the stump left behind after cutting down a pine tree. It contains a lot of pine tar pitch (fat) and was once prized for lighting a fire because it burned hot.

I didn't know that was what St Marks used as a source of cellulose for gunpowder, though. Maybe after it has been steamed to recover the pine tar and turpentine.

Jim - Whatcha mean, "was once prized"? :) Those of us who still heat with woodburners still prize it, though it's called "rich lighter" down here. It's called "lighter" because it's easy to light, and burns well enough to start dried oak. In addition to this, it smells wonderful!

WAP was never marketed by Hodgdon as anything, and seeing as Hodgdon now distribute and market all Winchester Powders we can assume they are making slightly different powders than they used to, to take as much market share as they can.

Auto Comp is slightly different to WAP. I have load data here for WAP and comparing it against Auto Comp it is more than slightly different, and seems to run much cleaner as far as I have heard from people who have tried some pre production samples.

eg

9mm 124gr FMJ

5.6gr WAP = 1105fps at 33300psi 5.2gr Auto Comp = 1120fps at 33300psi

33,300 seems to be the limit to what most load data you can generally find, although I think SAAMI is about 35,000PSI.

So it is far from WAP repackaged. At more than 5% different in charge it would be very unwise using WAP load data for AutoComp.

It just ain't the same.

It just ain't the same.

Nope... in fact, from the data you posted, it seems even less likely that it'll work in comp guns (that is, its obviously faster than WAP/Silhouette, which works in Major 9, but not Super).

It just ain't the same.

Nope... in fact, from the data you posted, it seems even less likely that it'll work in comp guns (that is, its obviously faster than WAP/Silhouette, which works in Major 9, but not Super).

Ramshot Silhouette? Works very well for Super. I have been running it as high as 175 pf for more than a year with zero pressure signs or other issues.

It just ain't the same.

Not sure how you meant, that is, its obviously faster than WAP/Silhouette, which works in Major 9, but not Super, May be you meant WAP as Silhouette works well in 9 Major and 38S/C.

Never used WAP for 9 or 38 Major loads, so I can not comment on WAP.

Ramshot Silhouette? Works very well for Super. I have been running it as high as 175 pf for more than a year with zero pressure signs or other issues.

And in every Super-ish gun I've seen it in (inc. my own), its dirty as hell, leaving yellow "corn meal" (ie, unburned grains of powder) all over the place. Not acceptable for a gun where reliability is a concern. In Major 9, it appears to burn clean with no issues. Tried WAP back in the 175 PF days, in Super, and had the same results - dirty as hell, and not as good as other powders for working the gun.

Of course, maybe you like dirty, flippy, and unreliable :lol:

Not sure how you meant, that is, its obviously faster than WAP/Silhouette, which works in Major 9, but not Super, May be you meant WAP as Silhouette works well in 9 Major and 38S/C.

No, I meant exactly what I said. See above.