Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Metal grips for 2011s

G-ManBart

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got mine today. It's a small, Stainless, grip tape version. I fitted it up, but I haven't shot it yet. One thing I need to do before I shoot it is clearance the inside so that the mags will go in and fall out. I have 13 magazines (SV) and only 2 will go in and latch, and then fall out freely. There is a ridge that runs the length of the mag tunnel, on the front side. It kind of looks like a final machining step was left out. Some light dremel work should fix it.

I like the way it feels in the hand. The mag release is nice, and the trigger guard is undercut nicely. My reasoning for trying this grip is, I'm looking for more weight down low. And it's just a tad smaller than the plastic grip. I'll check back after this weekend and give my thoughts on how it shoots.

Ok, I got into the magazine clearance problem. I had to enlarge the mag tunnel in the upper half (STI) as the 2 frame halves did not line up just right in this area. A small amount of metal removal in the front and rear.

I would suggest using some anti-seize between the 2 parts so that they come apart easier when you are fitting things up.

Just to educate a new STI owner (I barely know how to shoot it, let alone parts and such).

I shot Paras for about 5 years, so am used to a bit more weight in the grip area.

will these metal SV grips fit an STI? If so, do I just call SV and order one?

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Yes they will fit an STI. I have some sti's that if I decide to I will ge a grip for them also. That is down my priority list though.

Yeah, but from the early reports it sounds like you're still going to have to deal with opening up the inside to get mags to drop free....why we can't buy quality stuff that doesn't require extra work is just beyond me!

I tried all my mags in the new grip and they all function correctly and drop free without incident. I guess as they get more experience with this new grip they will have the bugs worked out. Mine is great right now.

Edited by scirocco38s

I shot the gun in a match today. My initial impression of the weight distribution is good. There is a problem though. The magazines sit quite a bit higher in the gun, and seem to be interfering with case ejection. Once I get the mag situation sorted out, I think the added weight in the grip will be a benefit in the overall handling.

I do like the way it feels in the hand, and the mage release is pretty sweet for my reach. I don't want to be too negative, but I'm a bit disappointed in the amount of work it needs in an area that really shouldn't need work. On the plus side, the grip fits the upper frame nice and snug. No fitting was needed in that area, as the grip bushings dropped right into perfectly aligned holes. The fit of the mainspring housing and magwell are perfect as well. These two parts come with the grip, as they are specific to this part.

Yeah, but from the early reports it sounds like you're still going to have to deal with opening up the inside to get mags to drop free....why we can't buy quality stuff that doesn't require extra work is just beyond me!

Seems as my earlier question of what the pro and cons are have racked up some heavy cons to the current version of this product. I am sure it will get resolved eventually but as said before - can we buy something in this sport that just works?

Edited by KGentry

• 2 weeks later...

I have shot aabout 400 rounds thru the gun since getting it back and when comparing it to the Identical twin with the plastic grip, there is no doubt it shoots softer and flatter.(the flatter was another shooters opinion watching me shoot the 2 different guns) It is noticable less violent in your hand than the plastic grip.

Another shooter in the area purchased the grip and installed it on his STI opend gun and It looks really sharp on his and has tamed his gun also.

I would say that they have a good product that just needs a small bit of refining according to others on this topic, but mine is flawless right now.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there any pics of the three grips together available. Is the poly grip still avaiable to those that want them or are they going

to be phased out?

The plastic grip will still be standard and the metal grip will be an option. I think SV's website has some pics up now. R,

An all metal gun will function less violent than a lighter gun. I found this out when I shot STI for years and switched over to

the caspian and Tanfoglio guns.

Sure, but it's easy enough to put more weight on an STI (or anything else)....get one of the heavy magwells, for example, and you'll add more weight than this grip does.

An all metal gun will function less violent than a lighter gun. I found this out when I shot STI for years and switched over to

Sure, but it's easy enough to put more weight on an STI (or anything else)....get one of the heavy magwells, for example, and you'll add more weight than this grip does.

On the notion that you can make a plastic grip heavier than the steel one, I'll give you my experience. When I got my stainless lower, I weighed it, and the plastic lower that I removed from my gun. Both parts were weighed with the same components installed. Magwell, empty mainspring housing w/pin, complete mag catch, and trigger. The plastic grip had a steel mainspring housing, and a Dawson brass magwell. The steel assembly was 8.8 oz. heavier. The no-longer available Grams tungsten magwell weighs 9 oz. Even if you were to change out the Dawson well for the tungsten part, it would not surpass the weight of the steel lower.

I have shot this grip for a few matches now, and so far I like it. I'm enjoying the smaller grip diameter and the tackiness of the grip tape.

It is my understanding that the polymer grip is no longer available at SV.

After shooting my gun with the stainless grip and shooting a plastic grip with a heavy magwell. The recoil impulse in my hand and 2 other shooters was noticebly harsher with the plastic over the stainless. I dont think it is weight alone that makes the difference.

This peobably why some Para and Caspian shooters have never care for the feel of a plastic gun.

On the notion that you can make a plastic grip heavier than the steel one, I'll give you my experience. When I got my stainless lower, I weighed it, and the plastic lower that I removed from my gun. Both parts were weighed with the same components installed. Magwell, empty mainspring housing w/pin, complete mag catch, and trigger. The plastic grip had a steel mainspring housing, and a Dawson brass magwell. The steel assembly was 8.8 oz. heavier. The no-longer available Grams tungsten magwell weighs 9 oz. Even if you were to change out the Dawson well for the tungsten part, it would not surpass the weight of the steel lower.

I have shot this grip for a few matches now, and so far I like it. I'm enjoying the smaller grip diameter and the tackiness of the grip tape.

My point was that you could make a plastic grip with a heavy magwell weigh more than the steel grip and normal magwell, not that you could make a plastic grip heavier than a steel gripped gun if you put heavier components on the steel grip. Seems to me that the math worked out that at the very least the weight could be pretty close if you wanted to make a plastic gripped gun weigh more.

Having handled the SV grips I can tell you that I can make a plastic grip smaller, and feel better (at least in my hand) than the SV unit and still not have problems with mags dropping free....that is unless they've made some drastic changes to them since I saw them in Tulsa. The new SV grips are better than a stock plastic grip in size and tackiness, but it's bigger than what you can get with plastic if you know how to do it....they're also not customizable to an individual hand like the plastic is. R,

Edited by G-ManBart