Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Metal grips for 2011s

G-ManBart

price tag?

$400 give or take a bit.

I'm thinking that metal grips will be really unpleasant in cold weather and maybe painfully hot in warm/sunny weather like we get out here.

Hey maybe we could get a metal grip and then put wood or plastic or rubber grip panels on it.... :D

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

price tag?

$400 give or take a bit.

I'm thinking that metal grips will be really unpleasant in cold weather and maybe painfully hot in warm/sunny weather like we get out here.

maybe, grip tape fixes that. $400 isn't bad i guess. Won't be trying it anytime soon, i still need mags lol.

Yep, grip tape can be seen in the images on their website. I wonder about magwells, and compatibility with other mags.

This was discussed earlier in the post.... It's proprietary, you gotta wait for theirs.

• 4 weeks later...

I just shipped my IMM gun to Brandon for the SS grip. The grip comes with the magwell installed. I played with Chris Tilleys gun this afternoon and it feels good, I will wait untill I can shoot the gun for complete opinion. The gun is definitely heavier, and hopefully will balance it out a little better. I use a standard frame for open , so the weight to the rear may make it feel a little softer also. I am using some of the Christmas bonus money I had so if it works out I will be happy and if not I will have 1 to sell for a discount.

Fresh from SV -

Grips textures : Stippled, Scot(Tape)and Checkered

*Tapes are available in many colors and patterns(and also per each size)

**Aluminum grips can ordered in 3 colors(red, blue, black)but might need fitting and blending prior to anodizing.

Size : Small(1.250in diameter), Large (1.300, very

similar to polymer in size) and Signature( 1.250in but with an arch

through back of grip)

Materials+weights(without magwell, mainspring housing, trigger) : Aluminum(3oz similar to polymer), Stainless steel(9oz) and Carbon steel(9oz). Stainless steel offers great balance for the guns. A standard pistol, extended dustcover and stainless steel grip - 44-47oz. IMM Open pistol with the stainless grip, standard dustcover, aluminum mount, polymer cmore - around 52-54oz.

Grips fit 2011 frames. Magwells are available.

Prices :

Aluminum sizes and textures(including trigger base, mainspring housing, mag release and button)ranges 445.50-472.50$

Stainless steel(Same) - 580.50-607.50

Rear Sights : Four blade types : Target(Square), Tactical(dog eared corner), Competition(corner radius), Competition(same but with 2 fiber optic rods)

Edited by cybrosh

Can someone let me in on any advantage or more accurately - improvement in your game to pay the large amount of money to get those grips? More weight? Brass magwell - cheaper no fitting problems - Just curious as I see many people looking for an edge and it ends up costing them allot more than just getting down to practicing more....

The single biggest reason I did it was to get rid of the inconsistent grips that are coming from STI. Some of the grips are fine and others the mags hang up in. There seem to be a variance in the internal dimensions of the newer grips and this will eleiminate that issue altogether. The other reason is it changes the balance of the gun and makes it a little more neutral handling.

Can someone let me in on any advantage or more accurately - improvement in your game to pay the large amount of money to get those grips? More weight? Brass magwell - cheaper no fitting problems - Just curious as I see many people looking for an edge and it ends up costing them allot more than just getting down to practicing more....

Some have more spare money than spare time to practice, in fact they are often inversely proportional :) I enjoy playing with guns and may try one of these just because I can.

Edited by larry cazes

I don't think we fully understand the pros or the cons, at this point.... They haven't been out for long enough, in enough volume, to evaluate the performance.... But...

Pros: stiff material with a manufacturing process that will hold tighter tolerances, no need to have someone do a texture job on it, unlikely to crack due to using full-up tuned mags, added weight may be desirable for recoil control, won't flex under a strong grip so mags should drop free at all times

Cons: super expensive, stiff material may counteract weight for felt recoil to some extent, only one choice for magwell at the moment, added weight may be counter-productive to feel of the gun (depends on the shooter)

I just received my Sight Tracker back with the SS Stippled grip. The balance is very nice with the added weight in the grip. It shoots really soft with 200gr. CMJ(Clays). The new sights with the polished chanel under the fiber optic tube works very good. I shot the gun just before sunset on a very cloudy day and the sights where very visible.

I will shoot some more tomorrow and will but it to the test on Thursday. I will post more after the match.

Also the trigger job that was done on the gun is awsome.

The single biggest reason I did it was to get rid of the inconsistent grips that are coming from STI. Some of the grips are fine and others the mags hang up in. There seem to be a variance in the internal dimensions of the newer grips and this will eleiminate that issue altogether.

+1

One thing i always liked about steel grips is that when doing reloads the mag just seems to launch out of that magwell. Might have something to do with the tolerances being more consistent.

On the other hand, plastic grips seem to be more forgiving if you don't insert your mag perfectly.

I'll try one when i sell enough blood :rolleyes:

Here are some close up pictures of the new SS SVI grip.

post-5317-1229227984_thumb.jpg

Notice the undercut under the trigger.

post-5317-1229227802_thumb.jpg

A closer look at the undercut.

post-5317-1229227830_thumb.jpg

The left side of the mag release.

The stock magwell is relieved and blended into the grip. The feel of the grip is very good. This is the stippled version.

More photos and a range report tomorrow.

I recieved my gun back from SV today with the stainless grip. It is an open gun and so far I like the feel(I can compare it to an identical gun with the staqndard grip). I balances a little better for me and I will be excited to shoot it this weekend to se how it performs. I imagine that it will take a little bit to get used to the feel of the gun vs the old grip. I am impressed with the fit and finish, so far very pleased.

I recieved my gun back from SV today with the stainless grip. It is an open gun and so far I like the feel(I can compare it to an identical gun with the staqndard grip). I balances a little better for me and I will be excited to shoot it this weekend to se how it performs. I imagine that it will take a little bit to get used to the feel of the gun vs the old grip. I am impressed with the fit and finish, so far very pleased.

I am interested in how it feels while shooting. I am planning on sending my IMM to SVI for the SS grip also.

I was having some other work to my open gun, so why it was there I took advantage of the trip and had them install the grip and make sure everything was up to their spec. I am very busy with work and my daughters graduation from college and christmas so I will try to post a few pics tonight and shoot it saturday.

post-9772-1229659830_thumb.jpg

post-9772-1229659855_thumb.jpg

post-9772-1229659873_thumb.jpg

Edited by scirocco38s