Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Metal grips for 2011s

G-ManBart

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Joe said it too, seems like the answer to a question nobody asked.

When I was at SVI HQ a few months ago speaking with Pat, the question was availability of quality polymer grips. If you could manufacture a MAJOR component of your end product in-house, wouldn't you? I would. Remember, too, that SV exports quite a few of these guns.

If I remember right, there was quite a bit of chatter a few years ago [para] "when will S_I come out with a metal grip - that'd be the ticket!" Folks were trying to put every bit of weight they could in the bottom half of their blasters - metal MSHs, Tg guide rods and magwells :wub: , stainless magwells.

The other part of this story, as I was told, is that SV will offer different grip profiles, like for ladies or another VERY popular polymer framed gun used in Production :surprise:

I know when I had both metal grip and a polymer grip in my hand the difference was there, but it wasn't "this will never work." I think it is great.

Sandy spent some time with me talking about his new grips. I am pretty impressed. Sandy is always improving equipment. Just look at his sights and new mag releases.

In my opinion, the gun looks and feels nothing like a Caspian or Para, but this is based on actually handling the SVs. I know it is hard to make judgements from just pictures. I like the way they felt. It is true the SS was pretty heavy--for some this may be a problem but others may like it. The balance felt different, not bad or good, just different.

The is an great deal of flexibility in the geometries for these grips and trigger guards. What has been said about being able to customize the grip for big hands or small hands is very cool.

What was seen at Nationals was just the start of production. SV has a 5 axis CNC machine. The potential is unbounded at the moment.

It is true the SS was pretty heavy--for some this may be a problem but others may like it.

You obviously held the one with the stainless grip. The Aluminum grip is much lighter.

But the real question - do they need to get these new grips to Heros (which just had the series debut of the Tiki last night, after three seasons of the IMM Open in 45).

I thought the same thing. "Hey is that a TIKI??" So someone has to know what the deal is. Who at SV has the Hollywood hookup? Is one of the prop guys a competition shooter? Someone spill the beans.

SVI built several guns for the Miami Vice movie that came out a while back. They provided several examples that included the Tiki and the IMM that made it into Heroes several times. Many of the Miami Vice scenes that included these guns were left of the cutting room floor, but the guns were placed in the "prop house" after Miami Vice was completed. We will likely seem them from time to time.

I know that Sandy Strayer has a connection with someone in the business and Taran may, or may not, have had a part in this connection since he is involved in those circles.

The only thing that bothers me, is the weight of aluminum/stainless grips. Even though the alu' is lighter than the stainless, it's still much heavier than the plastic ones - according to what was written here. I have no doubt it would catch on, a new niche, but still, do we really want our guns to be heavier?

The only thing that bothers me, is the weight of aluminum/stainless grips. Even though the alu' is lighter than the stainless, it's still much heavier than the plastic ones - according to what was written here. I have no doubt it would catch on, a new niche, but still, do we really want our guns to be heavier?

With the popularity of bull barrels, tungsten guide rods, tungsten or steel magwells and steel mainspring housings ... apparently many folks feel that weight is a good thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favour of metal. You can do wonders with it, especially when it comes to design(CNC or by hand). I'll always prefer metal to plastic. But let's take an open gun for example, which is already heavy by nature, a heavy comp' in front, mount, scope such as a c-more...etc'. Add a stainless grip, a fully loaded 170mm mag, and it becomes much heavier, for good or bad?

I'm sure the guys and gals at SV - know what they're doing.

Edited by cybrosh

Cybrosh

I don't disagree with you at all when it comes to adding weight to the pistol. But I feel that it is dependent on a person's physiology. I personally like heavier guns for most of the applications I shoot, even steel. No doubt I may obtain a faster draw time and transitions with a lighter gun, but I believe in comfort and fit. I'm a strong build and I handle heavy guns very well. My comfort zone is with heavier pistols. I like the idea of the aluminum personally and I think it would be cool given the opportunity to change grips.

• 4 weeks later...

The new grips look cool, but I agree, answer to a non problem. Besides, looking cool has nothing to do with shooting performance, Look at TGO's guns, or some of the other top shooters. Some are downright ugly.......

The new grips look cool, but I agree, answer to a non problem. Besides, looking cool has nothing to do with shooting performance, Look at TGO's guns, or some of the other top shooters. Some are downright ugly.......

Thats because you don't have to look good when you are.

Being that SV did not producing their own plastic grips, producing the metal grips is a way for them to solve that deficiency while improving the product.

The metal grips will accommodate all of the existing magazines, and may make future magazine developments possible.