Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Metal grips for 2011s

G-ManBart

SVI had their new 5-axis machined aluminum and stainless 2011 grips on display (complete guns) at the vendors table at the Nationals. They have a round dimple pattern on the sides (and I think front strap as well) similar to a normal stipple job and much more of an undercut than stock plastic grips. The trigger guard itself is interchangeable and they'll offer more than one shape. They're a world better than the stock plastic grips, but I didn't think they felt nearly as nice as the ones I do for myself. The undercut wasn't even close to being as deep or wide and they didn't scallop out the area leading up to the mag release (on both sides). I asked about being able to remove material and they said they'll offer one that's oversized so you can cut it to fit, but that seems to take away much of the appeal. The biggest issue was cost. They haven't finalized prices, but predict something along the lines of $400 :surprise: I picked up a 5" Limited gun with a long, wide dust cover, and the stainless grip and man, that sucker was heavy! They said it also had a tungsten guide rod, but still, it was really heavy. The Limited gun I handled with the aluminum grip was quite a bit lighter, but it had a standard dust cover and I think a normal guide rod.

When I asked what the benefit was other than durability they said consistency, not being affected by moisture (didn't think that was a big problem with polymer) and, honestly, it was time for something new...lol....at least they weren't hiding it. In the end, it was cool, but I wouldn't bother with one. Oh, they did say you can put one on current guns and use current mags, so this is something anyone can retrofit. I didn't want to insult them and ask if they'd work on STI frames, but I'm sure they will.

Edited by G-ManBart

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be kind of cool "looking" but I am with you in that it is pretty much a solution to a nonexistant problem. I have seen some pretty cool stuff done with anadizing so it would absolutly look sweet. We shall see what comes of this.

Joe W.

Bart, you forgot to post pics.... :mellow:

Yeah, I know, but I only had my camcorder with me.

I will say they looked pretty nice. They used a dimple patter that was about the size of my first stippled grips and I think a smaller dimple would look better and provide more grip. The more dimples equals more raised ridges which provide the traction. Anodizing in colors would be pretty cool, but I just don't know how many folks are going to drop an extra $400 on them. R,

I took pics w/someone else's camera.. Lets see how long he takes to send me those.

I agree with Bart, the SS one was VERY heavy, just too much to draw up quick. The SVI guy said it didn't move though, I can believe that. One other thing, the grip design is proprietary so they said no current magwells will fit, only theirs which will be a two piece design with spacers to adjust the top "shelf" of the magwell so you can adjust the pinch on your hand. Similar to adjust palm shelfs with target pistols. This is kind of a bummer as I'm really hooked on my ICE.... We shall see if people adopt it..

P.S. They said they go on sale next week and will fit STI frames too.

Edited by JoshF

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, these took a little longer then anticipated. Here are pics I took at Open/L10 nats of the new grips. The black one was Aluminum while the silver one was the Stainless.

P.S. Thanks Henning!

post-8969-1222438371_thumb.jpg

post-8969-1222438378_thumb.jpg

post-8969-1222438382_thumb.jpg

Edited by JoshF

Interesting, thanks for the photos. It really doesn't look like you can add a magwell to these but I could be wrong. :(

Joe W.

See previous post......

One other thing, the grip design is proprietary so they said no current magwells will fit, only theirs which will be a two piece design with spacers to adjust the top "shelf" of the magwell so you can adjust the pinch on your hand. Similar to adjust palm shelfs with target pistols.

I don't see needing a mag well with that grip. Is it just me or does it look Caspian-ish?

Feels fatter then a Caspian actually. Also with no mag well it feels weird. If you look there is no flair or anything on the bottom of the grip to locate your hand with. The grip just kinda ends... It's ok and I'm sure people will buy it but there is something to be said for the plastic. My first thought when I picked up the aluminum one was WOW That's cold!

I don't see needing a mag well with that grip. Is it just me or does it look Caspian-ish?

Feels fatter then a Caspian actually. Also with no mag well it feels weird. If you look there is no flair or anything on the bottom of the grip to locate your hand with. The grip just kinda ends... It's ok and I'm sure people will buy it but there is something to be said for the plastic. My first thought when I picked up the aluminum one was WOW That's cold!

Yep, my first thought was "this doesn't feel nearly as good as my own grips do"...and I'll be they get HOT when it's sunny.

Did they happen to mention when the magwells would be coming out?

The guy at the table mentioned the magwell should be released about the same time (like now). I really don't see much use for these grips without one. He did not have any magwell examples there on display either. He also said they are working on a new frame design that'll take higher capacity magazines. However considering the metal grips (not frame but GRIP only) will be around the $400 ballpark it'll probably be out of my budget.

Hmm...if the ballpark price for the grip alone is $400, + cost of frame, + cost of magwell (maybe as much or more than their $150 single stack one), - cost of old plastic frame, that's a pretty expensive option.

At that kind of cost, I'd think a Caspian would look pretty good. That said, with the way the election looks like it'll be going, I'd feel more confident about spare S_I parts being available than Caspian parts.