Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sure Sights Legal for IDPA?

PSIShapiro

Remind me of styer's triangular sight.

Not really the same, as thiers had a triangular opening in the rear blade.

folks shot them, but don't know if it was officially legal.

Lastly, I was thinking that the notch and post thing was more an effort to keep out peep sights or ???. As you still have to align the front and back it might be allowed?

Remind me of styer's triangular sight.

Not really the same, as thiers had a triangular opening in the rear blade.

folks shot them, but don't know if it was officially legal.

Lastly, I was thinking that the notch and post thing was more an effort to keep out peep sights or ???. As you still have to align the front and back it might be allowed?

Exactly what I was thinking and why I have posed the question. I was just hoping that someone on the forum had either used these or was at a match when a call was made on someone else using them... Keep the replies coming!!

I think I remember reading somewhere that they were not considered notch-post.

Regardless, I think if they were a worthy alternative, and not just a gimmick, they'd be on some major competitor's gun.

I've used a SIG220 with them, and I didn't find it any easier to get quick close shots than traditional sights, and they flat out sucked for precision work 10yds and out.

G I M M I C K

Why would you want to handicap yourself shooting those sights? That is the question I would ask your friend first. The guy who made the knows squat about shooting accurately at high speed from the discussions I've had from him. He told me it is impossible to see shots faster than .65 seconds.

With triangle (or other "balance on top of" sights) you don't get quick vertical feedback, as you can only focus on one point in space at a time. Over looking something that simple, is sight designer mistakes 101.

Not really designed for gaming IMHO. (IDPA or USPSA). I had some on my XD45 carry gun for a while. I believe they are best suited for a self defense gun used by someone who doesn't practice a lot. Not a slam, there are probably more people in that category than those that shoot as much as the folks on this forum. My experience was they could be accurate, but at the cost of considerable time or they could be fast and do the job of stopping a BG at conversational distance. (At least with a .45 ;) ) but at that speed I saw a lot of C hits. As I got into USPSA shooting and shot a lot more I ended up taking them off and going back to my Dawsons.

Opinions will probably vary, but that was my experience with them.

I personally know three guys who have switched to those sights and really regretted they had spent the money. As soon as they could afford to get some sort of "standard" sights they did so. Each had a dramatic improvement in accuracy with the "standard" type sights - Dawson's, I think.

Can't see faster than .65 shot-to-shot?? Old and geezerly and I can still see faster than that - with tri-focals.

As my crappy old eyes deteriorated I tried every kind of sight out there. Dawson, Suresight, Big Dots, fishing lure paint, flat black, fiber optic with the rod taken out..... you name it, until I found the one sight that did really work. A red dot!! :P