Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mainspring Questions???

PistolPete

I'm curious about the mainspring in a 1911. I know if you bend it a certain way you can remove the grip safety and if you bend it another way you can lighten up the trigger pull. Which of the three prongs does what? I'm guessing the middle one is responsible for the grip safety??? Which way would I have to bend them to acheive what I want?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

If you want a lighter trigger pull, I wouldn't go about it primarily with your sear spring.......

It sure can lighten the pull a little, but the best way to do it is through a true trigger job,,,,,,,

H4444

Yeah sear spring. The middle one is not responsible for the grip safety. I don't want to take my blaster apart right now so I can't say right or left, but when the spring is in the pistol, the one leaf sticking out at you determines how much force it takes to deactivate the grip safety. FYI if you want the grip safety deactivated get it pinned, less hassle and when you get a good high grip there is no way you are going to be pushing the grip safety up and activating it.

Mainspring resides in the mainspring housing, and is pushing up on the hammer strut, which give the hammer the force to drop. Can affect trigger pull, but not much.

the left is the sear spring, the right is the grip safety spring the middle is the trigger and disconnector spring

then there is the 4 finger spring of kings, from right to left, sear, disconnector, trigger, and grip safety

The sear spring does have an effect on the trigger pull, remember that it's job is to reliably work the disconnector thus resetting the sear. If you have it pushing too heavy the harder the disconnector head pushes up on the slide and trigger bow. Reliably also applies on the sear spring. Get them too light and you can have hammer follow that will sure damage those expensive sear and hammer. josh