Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup And G22

azjeeper

I did a search on titegroup powders and did not come up with much. I am trying to find out just how titegroup powder works. I have been reloading with power pistol just because the overall pressure spike the powder produces is low and we all know about the problems reloading for a chamber that is not fully supported. The results for the power pistol were pretty good, but I would like to try out titegroup based on the advise of a friend. I want to know peoples expieriences using titegroup in glock factory barrels (I'm using a g22). The information I found so far included that titegroup was dirty? compared to Uni clays. Also is anyone loading to a pf165 or greater using titegroup and a factory glock barrel? How badly are the cases bulged? Any signs of extreme case stress? anyone loading cases multiple times if so how many times about. Any info suggestions would be appreciated.

Paul

I am using once fired brass (mixed), wsp primers, 1.125 coal, and rainier 180 RNFP.

I have been loading TG in a Glock 22 with a 180 plated bullet. I have been loading 4.5 of TG loaded to 1.125. It is right at major. I have had no problems with seriously bulged cases. I have reloaded several 3 to 4 times. The barrel is factory. Hornady lists 4.7 as max for a 180gr. JHP at 978 fps in their 2002 Basic Reloading Manual. They also worn that these loads should be shot in firearms with fully supported barrels. I have had no problems with my 22 but have been considering a replacement barrel for accuracy reasons more than anything. TXAG

flexmoney,

your are absolutely right! I was only searching the last 30 days and since expanding the search have found quite a bit of information. What about the intangibles like recoil feel, how the gun behaves etc. I would like to know more about the "feel" of titegroup vs. the mechanics of the reloading. From what I understand most shooters in IDPA and USPSA matches are reloading with VV or titegroup. Is that also accurate?

It is my favorite powder for 9mm, .40 and .45ACP. I use 4.3 gr of TG with a 180 Rainier HP bullet loaded to 1.125" This combo makes a 167-168 PF in my G35. You will need a little more powder for your G22. I see no reason to pay the extra $$$ for the VV powders. TG runs me $85-$88 for an 8 lb. keg.

It is very clean in 9mm and .40, but slightly dirty in .45ACP.

I get less case expansion with TG than I do with factory loads. The unsupported section of the fired case was only .001" larger than the rest of the case.