Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2nd Income Questions

I'm looking for a way to cut back on the number of nights I work per week (normally 4 or 5 12 hr nights/week). I would like to find a way to make up the income by finding a second job that would be low maintainence or at least something I enjoy. The only two ideas I have right now are a vending machine route or going through armorer school or AGI, etc and starting to repair or customize firearms in my spare time. Does any one have any experience with either one of these? Are they good ideas or should I consider something else? any thoughts or input greatly appreciated.

Working two part time jobs sucks. If you have a full time gig with benefits, then an evening weekend 2nd job isn't so bad. The only way I've been able to make any decent money with 2 jobs is to have one or both be either a trade (car mechanic in my case) and another gig that is cash under the table.

Does the second job have to be a late at night affair?

Hey Dave,

No, I'd like to have a part time job I could do during the day. I'd keep my full time job and its benefits but cut back to 3 nights/week (36 hrs/week is still considered full time and full time benes apply with my current employer). I'm just looking for something I could do a day or two on my days off to make up the difference.

A couple of firefighters in our area do lawn work on their days off. They've got a small group of established (satisfied) customers and as long as they don't let the yards get too high, can do the work on their schedule.

Bill

Yep. I've known firefighters who were painters, carpenters, landscapers, etc. I knew one guy that became so successful in his paint contracting side business that he hired a supervisor/manager to oversee his crews and jobs. Never gave up his day job though.

I would suggest finding something that you don't have to put much of an initial investment into (gunsmithing tools come to mind)

Side job to me is...work for homeowners and work for cash :ph34r:

Sounds like you have the "hard work" talent down pat! Those are some long hours.

I'd recommend two books. "The Millionaire Mind" by Thomas Stanley, and "Before you quit your job" by Robert Kiyosaki. The first will help you self-evaluate and focus on things that existing millionaires consider important. The "hard work" you have so well is high on the list so you're starting ahead of me.

The Kiyosaki book will help you change from being an Employee to being a Entrepreneur. You don't really want a second job, you want a second income. Passive income, that you have to work less time on, is better than a fixed dollar per hour rate.

Leam

Sounds like you have the "hard work" talent down pat! Those are some long hours.

I'd recommend ... "The Millionaire Mind" by Thomas Stanley... [it] will help you self-evaluate and focus on things that existing millionaires consider important...

Another classic by the same author is "The Millionaire Next Door". That was a real eye opener.

The Army National Guard as worked well for me plus I can draw retirement and medical at age 60 after having served 20+ years. However, it can become your full time job on fairly short notice since 9/11 but that is ok too! A Reseve or National Guard career is often overlooked....................

• 10 months later...

Since your actual question did not really get answered except by a few I may as well chime in.

1. A guy retired from my work and started shuttling cars around for Hertz. He loves it and works pretty much when he feels like it.

2. I worked a short stint at the local hardware store. You might be amazed what people will pay (cash) to have the simplest DIY jobs done. :wacko: Be a handyman if you have some skills.

National guard or Reserves. :roflol: The guy wants a good side gig, not getting his ass shot off on the other side of the world. (Yes, I am qualified to make that comment).

The handyman idea should be a good thing to consider. They are a thing of the past in my area. Either they don't know what they are doing or don't show up. If you have the ability to do odd jobs, painting, wallpapering, minor plumbing(changing faucets sinks etc). Most hardware stores have a bulliten board when you can put up a small ad. If you do good work people will tell thier friends. There are plenty of older people who can't do thier own work anymore and also people who don't know how or have time to do it.

Careful about the plumbing ... doing unlicensed work for other people can open yourself up to some real problems, even if you do the job correctly. The plumbing licensing board might let you flush someone else's toilet, but that's about as much as you can do without a license.