Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Concealed Carry Handgun...

pnmd

While these forums are not really CCW oriented I am sure a bunch of us have had to make the same decision. I would skip on all of those because they are double stacks. For a couple of years I carried a Kahr P9 which is a polymer frame single stack 9mm that really hides well.

I have owned a Sig 239 and while I found it to be a great gun from an accuracy point of view it was just too big to be a good CCW gun.

The guy who taught my CCW class carries a Glock 27 everyday and it hides well for him. He is a robust man though and could probably carry a Desert Eagle without anyone seeing it! :lol: I am in a similar situation and currently carry a Glock 19 without any problems but I have to wear a baggier covering garment than I did when I had the Kahr. Just my 2 cents worth.

-ld

I didn't realize this was such a touchy subject...

But I placed it on this forum because I wanted point of view from practical shooters. Shooters who compete and place many rounds thru their guns a year ;)

jhgtyre: thanks for input about the sig 239 and its size. Have you handled the XD subcompact?

I would skip on all of those because they are double stacks.

Where did you get the idea the P239 is a double-stack? It carries a single-column 8-round mag in 9mm, seven in .40 S&W or .357 SIG. I'd go for the 9mm in this gun BTW.

Just my $.02, but I'm up to three students now who've asked my opinion on what is the best full-power, compact auto pistol for concealed carry. All three wound up buying 9mm SIG P239s. All three are very happy with their decision.

pnmd

I won't flame you, but there is probably an opinion for every forum member, 75% of them different. It is you who have to carry it, get a short list together and then shoot each to see which you like best. Then go for it.

I tell my CHL students to find something they like and feels good to them and that they shoot well and leave it at that. I give no preference as to action type, name brand, caliber or capacity, it is their choice.

I didn't realize this was such a touchy subject...

But I placed it on this forum because I wanted point of view from practical shooters. Shooters who compete and place many rounds thru their guns a year ;)

It's not a touchy subject. No flames were emitted or intended. This is just the wrong forum for this type of discussion. There's no real answer to your question - everyone is different. Everyone has different needs, so a thread on the "best" defensive handgun could go on forever...and it does exactly that on a couple dozen other forums across the internet.

Any of the three guns you posted are quality firearms and are eminently suitable for CCW purposes. You can't go wrong with any. The best way to proceed is to find a range that rents these types of guns and actually shoot them and compare for yourself. What works for me probably has no relation to what will work for you.

Sorry to be the 'net curmudgeon today, but until further notice, this thread is locked.