Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Me Decide: M&P 5in L model or XDM or SP-01

Coveyrise

I want to get a new production gun and have my decision down to these three blasters. Since this will be a gamer gun I looking for which gun will be best for the game, your opinions please.

Springer XDM in .40

S&W M&PL or Pro 5in 9mm

CZ-SP-01 9mm

I will have trigger work done on which ever I get.

Thank you,

If you get the XDM you can use it for Prod, Limited, or L10 and ESP.

My choice would be either the XDM or CZ for Production only, the 9mm's are cheaper though so I might lean toward the CZ.

The rumor is the 9mm XDM is on it's way, but the rumor is over a year and a half old.

I want to get a new production gun and have my decision down to these three blasters. Since this will be a gamer gun I looking for which gun will be best for the game, your opinions please.

Springer XDM in .40

S&W M&PL or Pro 5in 9mm

CZ-SP-01 9mm

Thank you,

Springer XDM in .40

S&W M&PL or Pro 5in 9mm

CZ-SP-01 9mm

Thank you,

Of the 3 mentioned, without hesitation, my choice would be the CZ-SP-01 9mm...

If it was my choice I would go with the M&P Pro. I have owned a CZ SP01 that was tuned by Angus. I had trouble getting used to the trigger on it. I loved the way the gun felt in my hands, but had trouble with the trigger reset.

I like the way the M&P feels in the hand and I like the consistant trigger pull.

I have not been a big fan of the XD's, they feel top heavy to me.

I had a chance this past weekend to compare the 9L and 9Pro, get the Pro, the one I tried was ready to go.

Because of my short thumbs I would stay away from the CZ (can't work the thumb safety of any of these types of semis and have to have a special TS on all my 1911's). So far I like the XDM best.

JMHO

Richard

PS: Thumbs are normal, just short!

Not sure where you get to shoot, but many club matches will have shooters with at least 2 or possibly even all 3 of the guns you've mentioned. Most shooters wouldn't mind letting you shoot a few rounds through their guns, and actually handling them might help you make your decision.

This question is mostly about personal preference. A year ago (after Angus let me take his personal competition gun to a safe area to drool over), I'd have chosen the SP-01. 6 months ago (after shooting a friend's XD from Springer), I'd have chosen the XD.

Springer XDM in .40

S&W M&PL or Pro 5in 9mm

CZ-SP-01 9mm

Thank you,

I just picked up a S&W the other day. I like the way it looks . although I shoot an xd. I think Its worth looking at the possibility of the. S&W.

rod

Whatever fits your hand best. Properly set up any of the three could win the nationals in the right hands. R,

I agree. Sevigny usually wins Production with his Glock, but last year, Max Jr. almost beat him with a CZ, even though he hadn't practiced with it for very long. Rob won in 2006 with an XD. The M&P can be equally as competetive in the right hands.

Even if the M&P isn't Production-legal yet, that wouldn't stop me if I preferred the M&P. There's not much doubt it will be on the list sometime soon.

Edited by chemepharmd

I'm kinda out of touch, so I hate to even bring this up, but have the 5" M&Ps been approved for production div yet? Last I heard the paperwork hadn't even been filed by S&W yet. :unsure:

That's what I thought too. Obviously the gun is built for and aimed at Production but I didn't think the Pro or the "L" was on the list yet.

They're all equally capable of winning, particularly if they fit your grip and desire for a light or heavy gun. My current preferences are the CZ and M&P, but I've not done enough shooting of the 5" M&P to say which is better for me.

The reason I chose the M&P over the XD is because of the grip safetly. With my 1911 I had a really hard time with a high grip activating the grip safety. I don't know if it would be a problem with the XD or not, but I didn't want to take the chance.

• 2 weeks later...

Springer XDM in .40

S&W M&PL or Pro 5in 9mm

CZ-SP-01 9mm

Thank you,

Ok I am no expert but I have had/have XD 40 5inch, XD 40 compact, M&P 40 service 4inch. My father has a CZ in 40(not sure wich one) and he loves it, my wife loves it and I hate it. I have held the XDM 40 but I live in CA so I have not shot it or owned it.

Based on the wanting to shoot production I would get the MP 9mm in 4 or 5 inches. The xd triggers are much better out of the box but the M&P fits my hand like a glove , points great for me and the barrel sits much lower in the hand.

I'm a firm beleaver that you have to like the gear your working with as its one less thing to think about so buy with your gut feeling and shoot them if you can.

Edited by werewolf45auto