Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa/ipsc Open/limited ??major Or Minor

lnadler

I'm fairly new to IPSC- have been to ~5 matches and really like it. I have a Kimber .45 and have shot Limited 10, but after seeing the "big boys" shoot, I would like to move into Limited or Open with hi-cap mags. I currently have a EAA Witness competition 9x21 with comp and C-more sight. I haven't used it at any matches yet. Using factory ammo, I would be shooting minor.

I was planning to purchase a 38 super Open gun- STI. Using Remington +P factory loads, I was hoping to shoot major. I am not very competitive at this point, and enjoy shooting matches for the fun of it.

Do you think I'm crazy to spend $1500 for a used STI 38 super Open gun (includes 4 hi-cap mags and pouches)??? Should I just use the 9x21 and shoot minor Open??? Should I scrap the plans to buy a 38 super and go with a .40 cal Limited SV (includes 2 hi-cap mags) for $1450.

I confused and would appreciate some informed thoughts. Thanks.

Like the others have said I would go for the reloader first. It will not only save you enough money to pay for it self in just a short time it will also give you the ability to get the most out of what ever gun you have or buy.

I think there is a great deal on one in the classifieds. ;)

Or you can get great prices on new ones here

• 7 months later...

z) You should feel no shame shooting an EAA Witness.

4.3) I'd give the gun a chance to succeed before I went to a new platform. S_I is simply wunderbar stuff, but you're gonna blow a lot of time and ammo dialing into it.

*) Two years ago, I would have sworn that minor was easier and faster to shoot major. Today, I realize I'm an idiot. *If* you decide that you need a new gun, plan to shoot major. You can load it down until you groove in. If you decide to go this route, budget the money to send it to someone like a Bob Londrigan/Benny Hill/EGW class of shop and tell them "make it run."

&) Buy 5- 10 rd 45 mags and you WILL be shooting with the big boys. Some of the best guys I've seen shoot singlestack. The only reason to go from a 1911 to 2011 in Lim 10 is if you (like me) like the ergonomics of the wider frame better.

@) $1500 for an open gun that is built well and runs is a hell of a deal.

%) Top notch reloading equipment is the best investment you can make in your shooting and you should buy all that first.

Call Brian and have him recommend the best Dillon reloading press for you. You must reload, take our word for it.

With the same gun as you, I got my first Open classification which was B class. Same gun got me to A class in about 5 months. Shoot what you have is my advise.

Buy some slide stop pins from EGW & always use a newer one at matches.

For starting you out, a good ammo combination is 124gr bullets from Zero (Roze)or Montana Gold. Shipping for the MG's is cheaper out west, from Roze if you're East of the Mississippi. 3 powders will make safe, major loads in your gun:

Vihta Vouri 3n37

Winchester 540

Hodgdon HS6

Good luck

I will join the rest in saying "Get A Dillon Press". Once you can reload you will be able to take that Witness on up to major and run competitively with what ya got (I am assuming that you have hi-cap mags for it).

You may have to change the recoil spring to a different (softer?) rate, but 9x21 major is an easy round to load and the major PF data is pretty well known and just as well proven as the super. A good 124gr bullet over 8pointsumthing grains of HS-6 at magazine OAL will do the magic for 165+ PF in that Witness and will work the comp very nicely too.

What are you waiting for? Give Brian a call, get a Dillon press and some components, and start shooting the heck out of that gun.

--

Regards,

I'm fairly new to IPSC- have been to ~5 matches and really like it. I have a Kimber .45 and have shot Limited 10, but after seeing the "big boys" shoot, I would like to move into Limited or Open with hi-cap mags. I currently have a EAA Witness competition 9x21 with comp and C-more sight. I haven't used it at any matches yet. Using factory ammo, I would be shooting minor.

I was planning to purchase a 38 super Open gun- STI. Using Remington +P factory loads, I was hoping to shoot major. I am not very competitive at this point, and enjoy shooting matches for the fun of it.

Do you think I'm crazy to spend $1500 for a used STI 38 super Open gun (includes 4 hi-cap mags and pouches)??? Should I just use the 9x21 and shoot minor Open??? Should I scrap the plans to buy a 38 super and go with a .40 cal Limited SV (includes 2 hi-cap mags) for $1450.

I confused and would appreciate some informed thoughts. Thanks.

I just kind of wanted to bring this back to the top and find out if you ever decided to get the dillion or what. Just wondering. Thanks.

Happy Shooting

Paul Frankllin

• 3 weeks later...
I'd cast my vote for the Dillon 650 loader, with the case feeder, set up for .45 and shoot the Kimber in Limited-10.

I'd cast my vote for the Dillon 650 loader, with the case feeder, set up for 9x21 and load 121 grain Hornady HAP's over VV N350 with small rifle primers and shoot the EAA Witness in Open/Major. B)

-Chet

Oops! I just noticed that the original question was posted over eight months ago! :blink:

I was just recently in the same situation and received the same advice which I readily took. Recently bought everything I needed (for now) from Brian 550 and all the goodies. I've only been reloading for a few weeks now but I LOVE IT! I'm shooting more than ever and I really feel like I'm taking a bigger part in my effort to become a better shooter. Some may think it sounds stupid but I feel alot of pride in shooting my own rounds, plus I get to learn something new every day.

• 1 month later...

I too would suggest an investment in reloading equipment. However the bottom line is this. Shoot for the fun of it, that’s what it is all about. Some people are very competitive and spend lots of money to win but if you have fun shooting you have already won.

Jim