Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IMR powders

Jody Waring

Hi.

Anybody willing to share their experiences using IMR 4756 and 7625 in their open pistols? I know a local business that has a supply, but wanted to research a bit. I am loading 9x21 and possibly 9x19 maj. in a P9.

Heard they are both good in the super,have seen both listed in numerous magazine articles, with many top shooters using it, but I just never tried it.

Jody,

I have been using 7625 for 2 1/2  years now. It burns very clean and feels smooth in my gun, about 9 grains with a montana 115 jhp. Imr had production problems and 7625 won't be available until sometime in 2003. I wish i could find some more. 4756 is also very good but i need to go to a 124 bullet to make major,very bulky powder. You will be very happy with either one. hmmmm.....who did you say had a supply of 7625? :-)

James Ong

James, sorry, I'm on the wrong side of the border for you! (Canada).I believe that Todd Jarrett uses or did use 7625 and I thought once he used 4756. I am using a four chamber comp with 4 side ports, the comp is almost identical to the one Jerry Barnhart has. I am currently using HS6 and HS7, just thought I'd give it a try, heard lots of good about it.

I've been usig 7625 in .40 S&W after doing a survey of my local shooting buddies who shoot IPSC and IDPA.  I've found it to be very accurate and soft shooting.  I believe Powder Valley has it in stock again and I noticed yesterday the big gun store in Omaha, NE now has 5# cans of it in stock once again.  

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to give it a whirl. The only other question I have is what comp design are you guys using, different comps seem to always favor specific powders and bullets. My comp is a four chamber with deep ports, and four side ports, on the last 2 chambers raked rearwards. The gun works excellent with 540/HS6, but I like to experiment. Thanks again!

I found that 4756 worked fine if I was using 125 grain bullets, but for the 115's I had to go to 7625.  Both were great powders.  THE ONLY WARNING - I found that can-to-can there were pretty significant differences in performance.  Better to buy the larger cans and do a new chrono check for each new can.

Judging from this thread and others 7625 is prefered over 4756. Most claim 7625 shoots flatter even in guns with comps only and no holes in the barrel.  The general rule is that slower powders work the comp better. 7625 looks to me to be the fastest powder acceptable for 38 Super major loads. How can this powder be so efficient?

BTW I have been checking around and T&T Reloading has SR7625 in stock but only in 8oz. cans for now.

Ed.

Ed,

I thought it seemed to be on the faster side of the scale, but it seems that it works good for some. I didn't get what comp design these people are using, whether they have holes drilled or what. I have a comp only with no intents of drilling any holes. What powder do you find works the best with a specific application? Have you or do you know of anyone that has tried Power Pistol?