Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead Safety

Jeff686

After reloading a couple hundred rounds, the lead is visible on my fingertips.  I wash vigorously with ‘lava’ soap, but am not convinced this works well.

Are there any special cleaners or chemicals that would do a better job of cleaning the lead away?

Thanks,

Jeff686

..fishing around in the depths of my memory here.. way back when I got a Lee bullet mold and it came with some handwashing instructions that were somewhat specific in regard to soaps.  I've since forgotten the exact ones though (must be the lead).  I think it involved dishwashing soap though.

I've tried wearing laytex gloves, got some from the office.  They work great to keep my hands clean.  The problem is I can't handle the primers as easily.  

I'm using a Lee Turret press, and it doesn't have a primer feeder.  With the gloves on, I can't pick and place the primers very easily.  Really slows me down.

Stay away from any of the citrus based hand cleaners.  They may contain d-lemonine which is a transdermal used in nicotine patches to carry the nicotine through your skin.    

Also be carefull of any citrus based solvent for the same reason.

(Edited by Nolan at 1:02 pm on Dec. 20, 2002)