Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 SP-01 vs. XD

crabby

I have been shooting an XD in Production and so far, it is the best thing that I have found. In particular, the trigger job by Cannon Creek is awesome (about 2# and similar to a 1911 SA).

I am considering a CZ 75 SP-01 from the CZ Custom Shop or one of Matt's pistols ... with the best trigger job. I can deal with the first shot being DA but I am wondering about the SA shots; is there a lot of pre-travel ... a long trigger pull? I like the idea of the weight and feel of the CZ ... but the XD trigger has spoiled me.

Any advice? Has anyone shot them both?

I've owned & shot both in competition. However, here in Australia we shoot under IPSC Rules & the PD min. 5lb trigger pull applies. CZ has an excellent trigger & is extremely accurate, but the additional weight is the big bonus, over a polymer gun IMO. I would happily shoot my CZ SPO1 Shadow (even with DA/SA trigger) in Standard. USPSA legal PD trigger should be even better.

Cheers, Ando

I had both set up for PD. My XD and SP01 were neither tricked out with the ultimate light trigger jobs, but both tuned to pretty-darn-good.

What it came down to was my hand and index fit the SP01 better than the XD. The trigger differences didn't bother me.

I'd also look hard at the M&P-- the 9Pro is good right out of the box (though not production legal yet) and can be great pretty easily.

I have owned and shot both in competition. My XD-9 was tuned at Canyon Creek (does great work too) and my SP-01 was competition tuned by Matt Mink. I like the SP-01 better simply because of the weight and just the way it "feels". My scores/times are better with the SP-01 than with the XD-9. But remember thats just me. I sold my XD-9 and now have two SP-01's tuned by Matt Mink.

I'm still working on the trigger with the SP-01. My finger tends to follow it out more than whats needed after a shot is fired (I'm used to a 1911 style trigger). I also found that trying different loads and spring combos are easier with the SP-01 than the XD-9. The SP-01 is more forgiving.

The shooter that bought my XD-9 loves it though. Good luck!!

Ive shot both; I know what Matt's and Rich's trigger feels like, and in my opinion I have enough inconsistent things to worry about to want my trigger pulls consistent. that means no da/sa for me.

the sa on the CZ is a little more crisp and light, but I aint losing anything in terms of trigger, if I stick with a massaged striker-fired pistol.

There's no question that an SP01 can be set up really nice for Production (and either Matt Mink or the CZ Custom Shop can set you up). The XD is a fine pistol as well, so it's something of an apples to oranges comparison (do you like apples or do you like oranges?).

In the end, the SP01 is a DA/SA pistol so there will be a DA/SA transition and pre-travel in the trigger - but these are things you just train out of the equation. Until you do, you won't be able to make an accurate assessment of one versus the other, as far as you are concerned. If you are really curious, the only sensible thing to do is make an extensive comparison - I'd go ahead and get the SP01 and shoot it and your XD for several weeks/months and then decide.

There's no question that an SP01 can be set up really nice for Production (and either Matt Mink or the CZ Custom Shop can set you up). The XD is a fine pistol as well, so it's something of an apples to oranges comparison (do you like apples or do you like oranges?).

In the end, the SP01 is a DA/SA pistol so there will be a DA/SA transition and pre-travel in the trigger - but these are things you just train out of the equation. Until you do, you won't be able to make an accurate assessment of one versus the other, as far as you are concerned. If you are really curious, the only sensible thing to do is make an extensive comparison - I'd go ahead and get the SP01 and shoot it and your XD for several weeks/months and then decide.

having shot both that have been "fixed" i concur. :D

Edited by dr2e

Ive shot both; I know what Matt's and Rich's trigger feels like, and in my opinion I have enough inconsistent things to worry about to want my trigger pulls consistent. that means no da/sa for me.

the sa on the CZ is a little more crisp and light, but I aint losing anything in terms of trigger, if I stick with a massaged striker-fired pistol.

+1

I ran with an SP01 from Angus Hobdell's Custom Shop, and as mike cyrwus noted, the consistent trigger feel was sorely missed after transferring over from an M&P, another striker fired pistol.

The accuracy and balance were pretty amazing on it, I've never seen anything like it.

I like DA/SA pistols for carry/house pistols for safety reasons, but I just couldn't deal with it in competition.

IMHO...

After a while, you dont even realize you are shooting DA on first shot. The first pull is taking the "slack" out of the pull and then breaking the shot. If the SP01 is set up right, the DA pull is a clean and smooth 5.5lbs. It feels like a good revolver.

With the right trigger work, including over travel stop and so on, the SA is like a nice 1911, clean crisp break.

For me, personally, one of the most important parts of a gun, after reliability, is how it comes back. Does it torque? Does it dip? Does it shake? Or is the front sight waiting for you at the exact same spot to pull the trigger again? The main advantage of the SP01 is the lack of muzzle flip and the way it comes back for the next shot. The key is the low bore axis, high beaver tail and heavy muzzle.

We ran a Production only match a few months back. We had four XDs break down, some beyond field repair.

The real bottom line is the Indian and not the arrow. I have seen great shooters make both guns sing and do well with both.

Thanks to all who have replied. I genuinely appreciate the input. I primarily shoot L-10 (I have a pair of Millennium Custom 2011 pistols that are awesome) but I occassionally like shooting Production. And as Shay1911 noted, there are indeed those occassional Production only matches. In fact, in October our local club is hosting a Production and SS only Match. But even though Production is not my primary division ... I still greatly enjoy it.

I think I will go ahead and order a full blown custom from Matt (of course, set up for Production). It will be a fun experiment.

By the way, I have probably shot around 3K rounds through my Canyon Creek tuned XD ... and I have never had a problem of any kind! Interesting. Furthermore, I have a number of friends who shoot the XD in competition and who carry the XD for personal defense. Your comment was the first time that I had ever heard of anyone having a problem with an XD ... and for 4 to break down in one single match ... that is wild!?!? I wonder if S.A. had a bad run of XDs?

Thanks to all for the input.

David

Between the CZ and the XD in stock form, the CZ is the better gun.

Between the CZ and the XD with both tricked out, the CZ is the better gun.

Having said that, choose what you prefer. In the end it's the shooter that will make the difference.

CZ, XD, Glock, or anything else, it's always going to be the shooter that makes the difference in performance.

What do you like?

Pick one and go with it.

4 XD's in one match ?? :surprise:

I have several and have friends with 2+ each and have never seen an XD fail

other then for bad ammo ???? :unsure:

As for the question, if you could make a CZ top end fit on an XD grip and trigger you would

have the perfect PD gun ... :D I have not shot the CZ but have been looking at it lately for

the front end weight advantage. If you can master the DA SA trigger, running a CZ, with a full blown

dust cover, against plastic guns should be cheating. ;)

My XD had the following breakages

1. Busted trigger bar, completley disabled the gun

2. Busted roll pin in the top of the slide, completley disabled the gun

3. Cracked locking lug on barrel (did not disable the gun)

4. 2nd cracked locking locking lug on barrel (also did not disable)

the XD sits in my safe next to my wife's

I shoot a 40 SS 1911 and a 45 SS 1911 almost exclusively mainly because I have a 22 conversion and an airsoft gun that I can train with for next to nothing.

I still have all my berettas too, though I only shoot them casually

Huh ?? :unsure:

I'm thinking the trigger bar problem was on guns with trigger jobs ?? Where the bar was

thined out to play with the reset ?? Factory, thats news to me but I guess anything can have

a bad run. The roll pin through the slide I know about, if you dryfire alot without a snap cap the

FP smacks the roll pin eventually breaking, or bending, it and jamming everything up. I have not

seen it, but thats one part I replace every 5-10 thousand... $1.00 for pack of 6

My oldest is a 9mm service with about 15k on it, I've replaced the recoil spring and roll pin for maintenance

at about 10k and only had the striker indicator break at about 3500. Springfield quickly sent out a new one N/C.

Also have a .40Tac with about 8K through it, bone stock !! <_<