Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super For Open?

lnadler

I am considering buying an STI 38 super Open gun and want to shoot major. I don't reload and am told Remington 38 super +P will make major power factor. Anyone have experience with this ammo? Am I wasting my time thinking factory ammo will make major in 38 super?

Even if it does make Major...that may not be justification for using it. Open guns run best with the proper powder and bullet combinations...which take advantage of the porting and compensation that the Open guns offer.

Reloading rocks (plus it's cheap).

There may be some outfits that will make "factory reloads" to the shooters specs. Someone here may know who does that.

You might try these folks in Santa Rosa, CA

Load-X

(707) 579-0990

3100 Dutton Ave Ste 121

Santa Rosa, CA  95407-5739

They custom loaded .38 super to major for at least one person I know. He would even return brass to them for re-loading.

Regards,

I went through the same scenario last year and did not find any factory that will run Major, so shot Minor until invested in a Dillon 650 this year. Winchester/USA +P-130 gr./FMJ's ran approximately 1200 fps out of my gun...around 155 PF.

The powder used in the factory ammo did not work the comp well, further detering really competing, and factory OAL's are too long for consistent chambering in STI's or SV's. In addition, the mags likely will not work well with the long rounds associated with factory 38 Super.

If you are serious, invest in a Dillon press, and then roll your own!

I haven't seen a hi cap open gun in 38 super feeding rounds with cartridge oal over 1.270. If you want to be competitive in this sport you will need to roll your own. I think the US Army shooting team gets their loaded for them by some outfit, I can't recall the name.

• 1 month later...

The army team gets there loads under contract from georgia arms.

They are the only one that georgia arms loads for to make major in 38 super comp.

I would strongly sugest that if you want to play in open

you load your own. lets face it the load development

and tweeking is half the fun.

I regularly get to shot with Max Michel of the army team

and have shot his gun a few times.(what a privalege)

If you could get the guys at georgia arms to load for you

they have good exsperience at it.

The other thing is every gun will perform diferently with

even the same loads. even identical built guns can variey

2 to 3 power factor.So ther will be some exsperimentation involved.

Maybe you could shoot some open shooters loads and see how they Chrono and find some thing that works

then go to a comercial reloader.

Johnnie