Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing brass, which one?

Jeff686

I've been using Armscor 38 Super Rimless for a while in my Gold Team.

The Armscor works great in my gun, and I have not had any primer or brass related gun problems. I've had a problem with the brass and my Dillon SDB, so I have to switch to something else.

I was going to order some Starline 38 Super Comp, but was also considering 38 TJ.

I know that Henning sells the TJ. That not withstanding... what's the difference? I have no gun related problems with the Armscor Super Comp brass. What possible issues does the TJ solve? Why should I consider it, instead of plain old SuperComp?

The extractor channel is deeper and wider on the TJ. If the gun is set up correctly, this shouldn't matter.

38 TJ is a copy of the Hornady 38TJ. Depending on how closely they copied it, the internal capacity of the TJ is slightly less than regular supercomp.

The main point of using TJ brass is that it's possible to re-size the cases further down. Because of the extractor groove being cut higher up it allows the undersized die (EGW U-Die) that I recommend to straighten out the case better than any of the regular rimless cases. Having a straight case allows 28-29 rounds easier in the big-sticks and it greatly reduces chances of nose-dives.

As a + to the TJ by Starline is a bit easier to sort out after you shoot it in a match. I do not think Hornady is still making it.

I shoot the TJ for my Steel Loads and the regular comp as my IPSC loads ...I get 10+ loads out of TJ in a minor load with the brass lasting great.