Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap Shotgun Shells

ranger

Academy Sports in Warner Robins, GA is running a special on shells this week. They are selling Winchester promotional 12 gauge (1 oz, 3.25 dram, 8s or 7.5s) and 20 gauge promos (8s or 7.5s) for 3.99 per box. Limit is 2 flats (10 boxes to a flat). I have no connection to Academy - I just like cheap shells.

If you only shoot AAs, STSs, etc. - no worries. For the last few years, I quit reloading and I have been buying the Remington and Winchester 1 oz promo loads for all around Sporting Clays, Skeet, and Trap.

They are also selling CCI Blazer 115 grain 9mm for 7.49 per box of 50 with a limit of 10 boxes.

That is the shell many of us are shooting at our club. A few guys talked their way around the limit and filled up their trucks. I despise those 1290fps loads, but for that price I have to shoot them.

I got used to shooting my 1 oz. reloads at 1145fps, so the same load at 1290fps seems to lower my scores. Recoil is not a factor with the lighter load. But the faster factory load starts getting to me during a 300 target match.