Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Earmuffs

Hi-Power Jack

Sorry, I know I've seen the answer to this somewhere in

the past year, but I don't remember -what's the consensus

about which is The Best Ear Muff to where?

I have a serious hearing problem, and need The Best,

regardless of cost - comfort and hearing ability.

Thanks,

Sorry, I know I've seen the answer to this somewhere in

the past year, but I don't remember -what's the consensus

about which is The Best Ear Muff to where?

I have a serious hearing problem, and need The Best,

regardless of cost - comfort and hearing ability.

Thanks,

I'd suggest you consider he Bilsom Thunder T3 ($22.90), NRR 30db, over EAR disposable plugs ($51.70 for 200 pair), BRR 33db. NRR ratings of plugs over muffs are not additive (you won't get 64db) , but they combination still provides better protection that one alone. Also, safety glasses can reduce the NRR by making it harder to seal the muff to the skull, and plugs provide protection if you adjust your muffs. Lab Safety Supply, www.labsafety.com has a huge selection of all sorts of personal protection equipment (except firearms). You may need to ask the RO to hold the timer right by your muffs when wearing plugs + muffs, but that's a small price to pay for better protection.

You can also consider the custom molded in the ear plugs (http://www.earinc.com/p1-nonelectronic-instamold.php).

Manny Bragg in ear digital hearing amplifier/protectors that are just superb. Cost is in line with function but if you need the amplification with protection I don't think you can do any better. A set of QUALITY over ear electronic muffs over the in ear electronics will help too.

You can see the in ear electronics at www.mannyusa.com

Howard Leight SmartFit earplugs provide the best fit and protection of anything I have tried. Put a cheap set of muffs over these and you can barely hear the starting buzzer go off. This past weekend, I used a set of these with a set of inexpensive Peltor amplified muffs over them and have never shot a more comfortable match.

What is the hearing problem, you need them to be really quiet or do you need amplification?

MSA is great. Get a pair of gel ear pads. I do not notice the noise or pressure when I RO open guns! I get the best of both requirements, excellent amplification and suppression of noise and pressure.

I have a like new set of Pro Ears I can help you out with. If cost is indicative of quality they must be pretty awesome. They are quite popular around here too. I bought them at Area 6 and I like the fit on my Browning set better.

For shooting pistols I wear Dillon electronics over custom fit plugs. For long guns, the custom fit plugs alone. For running shooters (if that is all I am doing for awhile) I now wear Pro Ears Dimensions with my custom plugs as necessary.

If your health plan covers hearing aids there is a VERY good chance it also covers custom fit ear plugs. My custom plugs cost me $6 and change.

While shooting I turn the electronics off. All I want to hear is the RO and the timer.

I didn't get specific enough but thanks for all the help.

I have a Very Serious hearing problem (stopped shooting

for 10=15 years so I didn't lose any more hearing - but

just got back into shooting last year.

I'm looking for comfortable protection, that offers a lot

of protection, but enables me to hear at least the buzzer

if not conversations -

Strange as it sounds, I have to wear my hearing aid under

my muffs so I can hear the buzzer:(( Sounds like a

contradiction, doesn't it?

So, looking for good hearing enhancement, and good

hearing protection (plus comfort) all at the same time.

Thanks,

Jack

Manny Bragg in ear digital hearing amplifier/protectors that are just superb. Cost is in line with function but if you need the amplification with protection I don't think you can do any better. A set of QUALITY over ear electronic muffs over the in ear electronics will help too.

You can see the in ear electronics at www.mannyusa.com

I'm looking for some new hearing protection myself. My old Radians packed it in a few months ago and I really miss the electronics. In ear is my dream but I can't find them on Manny's site. Is it just me or aren't they there??

I've has ProEar, Peltor Howard Leight, but once TGO let me borrow his MSA's after someone decided they should take my muffs at a match, I have not looked back. For me the MSA Sordins are hands down the best muffs I've used.

which model?

Pro-X IV?

I recently bought a pair of ProEars and was disappointed to find out that I could not crank the volume up.

When I shoot indoors, I like to add a pair of foam ear plugs under the ear muffs, and when doing so, I like to increase the volume of the muffs to overcome some of the attenuation of the foam plugs.

I am in the same boat at our friend here. I have a severe hearing loss and wear behind the ear aids 24/7. I have tried several different electronic muffs, all with a common problem, not enough room for my ears and hearing aids. They get mashed into my head, and don't seal. I went back to my winchester plain janes for the Texas limited this past weekend and they worked fine. I just hate having to constantly put them on and take them off with every shooter. the last pair I tried and broke after one session on the range were the Silenco Falcon. POS!