Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taurus 1911 Mags

Buzzmeister

To get started in Single Stack, I bought a Taurus; a pretty economical 1911 and I do enjoy the gun. However, aftermarket mags just don't seem to work in it. So I took back all the Chip McCormick mags I bought and upgraded to the factory stuff. At $40 apiece, they're pretty pricey.

Anyway, I was trying to flex one of the followers for a tighter fit and the darn thing snapped in two. Has anyone tried a different follower in these mags?

To get started in Single Stack, I bought a Taurus; a pretty economical 1911 and I do enjoy the gun. However, aftermarket mags just don't seem to work in it. So I took back all the Chip McCormick mags I bought and upgraded to the factory stuff. At $40 apiece, they're pretty pricey.

Anyway, I was trying to flex one of the followers for a tighter fit and the darn thing snapped in two. Has anyone tried a different follower in these mags?

I'm using Chip McCormick Power Mags in my Taurus with no problems. What kind of fit issues are you having?

I'm using Chip McCormick Power Mags in my Taurus with no problems. What kind of fit issues are you having?

First, sorry about the late reply. It isn't a fit issue - just a release issue. The darn things just wouldn't drop consistently when I hit the release button. Had to sometimes pull them out by hand. IIRC, with one (or no) rounds left in the mag, it allowed the follower to move forward slightly which was enough to impede the ejection of the mag. The Taurus mags operate fine. A guy I shoot with is using the Wilson Combat's in his; I may consider picking up a few of those.

Miy McCormick mags would do that hand cycling or in dry fire with no rounds, - but they worked 100% actually shooting. If I shot the mag empty, or close to it, they would always drop. Hand cycled it empty then tried to drop one, would hang about 50% of time.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd recommend scrapping the Taurus mags all together. The magazines are very similar to the ACT-MAG magazines in design and style. They're so close, in fact, that the magazine feed lips will crack at the back.

Spend the $25-$30 or so and get some Wilson ETM's or some Tripp magazines. I think you'll have better luck and less headache in the long run.

First, sorry about the late reply. It isn't a fit issue - just a release issue. The darn things just wouldn't drop consistently when I hit the release button. Had to sometimes pull them out by hand. IIRC, with one (or no) rounds left in the mag, it allowed the follower to move forward slightly which was enough to impede the ejection of the mag. The Taurus mags operate fine. A guy I shoot with is using the Wilson Combat's in his; I may consider picking up a few of those.

I discovered that "feature" of the CMC mags in my .45. It didn't happen often but just enough to piss you off and usually in a stage that was going very well. :angry2: I went to Wilsons and never looked back. The followers stay where they are supposed to! Try the followers...

Later,

Chuck