Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first trap night

JPT

Well, I went for my first trap shoot. It was open shooting night and i squadded with one other newbie and an experienced guy. The club let me use an 870 Express 12 ga.

I've never shot a shotgun before. But, I broke about 35 of the 50 birds. I had a lot of fun.

So, I ordered a 391 Parallel Target. I shoot Beretta handguns and have some brand loyalty. It also seems that the 391 will hold its value well for when i decide to buy an O/U in a year or two.

So, this is how it begins.

J

• 1 month later...

Great first night. :cheers: I will say though after shooting trap a few years, I much prefer the challenge of USPSA stages. I tend to bore easily and the challenge of fresh stages constantly keep my interest peaked.

Well, I went for my first trap shoot. It was open shooting night and i squadded with one other newbie and an experienced guy. The club let me use an 870 Express 12 ga.

I've never shot a shotgun before. But, I broke about 35 of the 50 birds. I had a lot of fun.

So, I ordered a 391 Parallel Target. I shoot Beretta handguns and have some brand loyalty. It also seems that the 391 will hold its value well for when i decide to buy an O/U in a year or two.

So, this is how it begins.

J

Yup. This is how it begins.

I take the contrairian approach to trap shooting. I shoot a 391 Parallel Target and have no desire to move to a OU. Why? It's just like in USPSA shooting. It's the indian and not the arrow. Put a truckload of shells through that 391 so that it feels as comfortable and familiar as an old pair of blue jeans. Sure the OU has a certain cool factor but will I break more birds going to a OU? Probably not.

Join the ATA and do a few registered shoots. With few exceptions I find that trap shooters are very helpful in getting a new guy started in the right direction.