Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Use The 40cal-1911 Bullet From Oregon Trail

10ring

I'm considering trying the 185 gr, RN, SWC bullet from Oregon Trail. They call it the 40cal-1911 supposedly to be used in .40 S&W Limited class guns. Have any of you used this bullet? If so, can you give me a starting power charge weight to work off of?

I shot up 2000 through my para 16-40. No problems except for a fair amount of smoke..so bad I missed some gray plates at an area 8 match a year or so ago. At least it gave me a good excuse.

Go to www.laser-cast.com and look in shooters journal archives winter 2001 and there will be info on these bullets and some load data. I would not have any problem using them for practice, but would pick some thing else (such as precision bullets) for match.

Hope this helps

I tried some of these with 6.5 grains of HS-7. It's a nice bullet and the 6.5 load give great accuracy. I never did run any of them over my chronograph but this seemed to be a mild load.

Lasercast publishes their own loading manual and they list some data for long-loaded .40 ammo but their 185 RNL isn't listed.