Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9x21 Open Or 38 Super Open?

lnadler

I have an EAA Witness 9x21 competition steel gun with C-More serendipity sight and 4-port comped barrel. I don't reload and would likely shoot minor with factory ammo (unless I can find someone to reload or can purchase hotter 9x21 ammo somewhere).

I am considering purchase of a 38 super STI with Springfield forged slide. With factory 38 super ammo, I am told I would still be shooting minor. Is this true? If so, it doesn't make sense to pay $1500 for the 38 super.

Anyone know where I could order 9x21 ammo reloads?

I want to shoot major and use a hi-cap gun. Am I better off with a .40 STI and shoot Major Limited? I'm fairly new to IPSC/USPSA and have been to ~4 matches so far. I really like it and want to move out of Limited 10.

Any advice would be well appreciated. Thanks

.38 Super shoots minor in Limited and open because you cannot buy factory ammo that makes major.

9X21 sucks....period. I shot it for 10 years and every year I was wishing I had a super. It's for reloaders only, you won't find any factory ammo or reloads...partly because it's a European cartridge. You may be able to find some Federal .356 TSW, which is basically a 9X22, but I really doubt it.

Your sticking point seems to be the fact that you don't reload. If you did, the EAA would be a great gun, you could shoot major open, and prob. do just fine. However, I'd go with the STI because they're easier to build on, you can still find hi-cap mags, AND you can load to major much easier than the 9X21.

You won't find any factory ammo in 38 Super that will make major, all the ones we shoot are custom loads. The only factory ammo that will make major and will work in a super is Winchester 9x23. Its the same as rimless 38 super for all intents and purpses and is spec'd with 125 grn bullets at about 1400+ fps which is about 175 pf and major. I haven't check prices but I hear when you can find it, its fairly expensive

If you aren't going to reload and want to shoot USPSA major your best bet is a limited .40 as many factory loads make major and ammo bought in quanity is affordable. You can't go wrong with an STI limited gun.

.40 Limited is the cheapest.

I have a good deal on a lightly used STI if you are in the market.

I would invest in a Square deal from Dillon, and learn to reload, it isn't hard. You can get brass CHEAP and reloading will cost you 8-10 bucks per thousand, depending on how many components you buy at a time. Don't buy any gun you can't afford to shoot. :)

Super's are a hell of a lot more reliable too.

Now that magazine tuning is down to a science the rim doesn't cause issues in the mag, but it does make ejection tuning a lot easier (and more reliable.)

I shot the p-9 for a couple of years and loved the feel of the gun, but they don't shoot as well. A 1911 is simply more shootable. I would add that they are more durable as well. When I finally retired the P-9 it had more cracks in the frame than I could count. They just aren't built for high pressure rounds. I would say that the triggers are awesome though. Best gun to get a great trigger on.

.40 limited does seem like the way to go for you. That's what I'm going to do. Limited guns are so much more fun, and less frustrating, than open guns. I own probably 6 open guns, and am picking up my limited .40 to get back into the game. I have no intention of shooting any of the opens guns because as much fun as they are when they are on, they are miserable when they don't work. Considering what we put those guns through, it doesn't take much to take a reliable blaster and turn it into an "only sometimes" reliable gun.

JB