Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left hand shooters with a revolver

aerosigns

Tom M, Shotwell, etc. if you are out there, and others:

Someone at another work place like mine recently had a negligent discharge.

Left handed shooter with a revolver, had trouble releasing the cylinder. So he decided to use muscles instead of brains and gripped with both hands. Nine of the fingers were off the trigger, but one was on it, and fired into the ground 51" away from his foot. At least following two of the three safety rules made this a better ending. No injuries.

I have watched Tom M. reload many times but want to check with you guys again on what techniques you use for a S&W revolver with a stock cylinder release. Do you use the left thumb, or left index finger, etc.

Thanks. B)

Ditto. Left thumb engages the latch, right thumb punches the cylinder open, right fingers reach under the frame, cradling it and holding the cylinder stationary. I use my right index finger to punch out the empties while the revolver is held muzzle-up so the brass clears the chambers. By this time the left hand has the speedloader ready to charge the cylinder again. The muzzle pivots downward so gravity can help the cylinder load. Left hand drops the empty speedloader and resumes it's position on the grip. The right fingers close the cylinder & return to their support position, or simply get the hell out of the way, depending on the situation. There are an infinite number of variations you can use, but this is what works for me.

This is how this lowly C-class right minded revo shooter reloads.

I've done it both ways at different times, engaging the release with my left index finger or the left thumb. I think the use of left thumb to release the latch is more "sure way" to open the cylinder but, if I've been shooting bottom feeders before picking up the revo, the use of the left index finger feels more natural for this task. (Think of how a lefty drops a magazine with a right handed mag release) Rest is similar to the steps decribed above by others.

Edited by Wideload

Ditto. Left thumb engages the latch, right thumb punches the cylinder open, right fingers reach under the frame, cradling it and holding the cylinder stationary. I use my right index finger to punch out the empties while the revolver is held muzzle-up so the brass clears the chambers. By this time the left hand has the speedloader ready to charge the cylinder again. The muzzle pivots downward so gravity can help the cylinder load. Left hand drops the empty speedloader and resumes it's position on the grip. The right fingers close the cylinder & return to their support position, or simply get the hell out of the way, depending on the situation. There are an infinite number of variations you can use, but this is what works for me.

Hey Jim,

Has your daughter spent all your money yet :goof:

That is how I basically do a reload. How on earth the guy got a round off while gripping with both hands is beyond me. I would think his hands would have been around the hammer enough he would have noticed what the hell he was doing. I can imagine that the triggers on the service guns aren't as sweet as we are running in IPSC. It surely took a little effort to squeeze one off like that, or was he shooting single action ? Must not have been paying attention to what he was doing. I hope this was outdoors.

Good Luck with the wedding.

Tom :cheers:

Hey Jim,

Has your daughter spent all your money yet :goof:

That is how I basically do a reload. How on earth the guy got a round off while gripping with both hands is beyond me. I would think his hands would have been around the hammer enough he would have noticed what the hell he was doing. I can imagine that the triggers on the service guns aren't as sweet as we are running in IPSC. It surely took a little effort to squeeze one off like that, or was he shooting single action ? Must not have been paying attention to what he was doing. I hope this was outdoors.

Good Luck with the wedding.

Tom :cheers:

Jim

Thats how I do it. I wear a baseball glove on my right hand. When I release the cylinder my LH rotates down and forward, pushing my finger out of the trigger guard. I use my index finger to drop the mag on bottom finger.

Mike

All - Thanks for the information.

Mike - Thanks for almost getting me fired.

I was talking with Corporate types on the phone. Being the cool guy that I am I tell them "just a second, let's see what the foremost experts in the field are saying" or something to that effect.

I'm reading down the responses and I hit your picture of Tom (I mean Mike, oh you know what I mean) and I busted out laughing. Luckily I was able to recover and still look cool.

---

Meanwhile at the day job -

I had already relayed how I have seen most of you guys reload. Some wanted to make it a strict step-by-step procedure for how lefties will reload. My answer was that it won't work. Everyone has different body style, hand size, missing digits, that make it an individual choice. The only strict rule is weapon safety. Once that is satisfied anything goes.

The guy that did the shooting was hammer down, and hand been commanded to unload and show clear. Supposedly the right hand shoved the gun onto his left trigger finger. I don't know if I buy that explanation, but that's what they gave me.

Jim, most likely...as you well know...this person got flustered, or was flustered, fubared, whatever.....and freaked out, couldnt hit the latch because he/she was locked up due to not getting all his shots off, or something like that, and just didnt think at all. I have lost count of how many times I have seen things like this, usually due to the operator only handling/shooting the minimum amount every year and I would gather that this person barely qualifies as well, adding more to the stress/slash fluster factor.... :ph34r:

Hopefully I am wrong and it is one of those things that just happen. I agree with you that all you can do is give them several ways to fix the problem and let them figure it out, instead of having someone decide it for you...... <_< Good for you!

DougC

Tom's never-used left-hand glove is in my range bag, a gift at last year's ICORE match at Bend of the River. He took pity on the blister up my left palm from holding my Webley's barrel during "show clear" after field courses.

It's true I'm kind of leery of the Michael Jackson look, myself, but I suppose I don't much present that sort of appearance overall anyway, so why worry?

If Tom's inclined, he could post the YouTube link of him shooting an absolutely insane 39-piece steel stage at North Porter County CC in Chesterton back in May. 27 poppers and 12 plates, and a couple of dozen barrels in the field to look around.

Even a strapping lad could run low on gas on that one.

If he posts it, you'll see enough left-hander Smith reloads to last you all night.

The next time that I get to shoot with Tom I will have to video the action. You learn something everytime you watch him shoot. (That's a left-handed compliment! :roflol: )

As far as the guy shooting. It is my understanding that he is a lower tier shooter. Without being there, I think we all have the same idea on how he fired the gun. If you can't slide the cylinder release easily forward, the normal choice is to bring all the fingers and muscles to bear on the problem. He either gripped the trigger, or shoved the gun onto his trigger finger.

MShotwell - if you are going to shoot this sunday bring your Revo. Maybe I will just video what's left of your reload.

:cheers: Man, I am just full of bang-up humor. That's another gun joke there. Full of 'em I tell you.