Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sights? Never use them.

Owen Sparks

Recently my nice hi-vis light pipe front sight came off somewhere in the middle of a 85 round speed drill practice. I didn't even notice till I found it afterward while picking up hulls. I have heard the skeet guys talk about how a properly fitted shotgun should hit right where you look. "You don't aim a shotgun like a rifle, you point it." and evidently in my case, they are right. If it weren't for slugs, I would have no use for sights at all.

I have a 3' fiber optic on my rib. I cover it over with electricians tape on non slug stages so it doesn't catch my eye. You want to focus on the target with shot loads, not the sight. If your gun fits , it hits where you look. for slugs, take off the tape.

Absolutely NO SIGHTS...if it fits you don't even need them for slugs out to 125 yards. I have never run sights on any of My shotguns, and I'm not so sure a rib is needed either, just added expenss! The more people that get this message the better! :rolleyes:

Sights are definetly over rated on a SG, Besides it takes too much practice to learn how to shoot with iron sights anyway, thats time I could be doing easier stuff.

Heck for that matter if you do enough presentations with a pistol you don't need them there either, the gun should point where you're looking and the grip should have a permanent imprint on your hands, out to 50 yards who needs them?????

This info really needs to be passed on to the masses!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trapr

Sights are definetly over rated on a SG, Besides it takes too much practice to learn how to shoot with iron sights anyway, thats time I could be doing easier stuff.

Heck for that matter if you do enough presentations with a pistol you don't need them there either, the gun should point where you're looking and the grip should have a permanent imprint on your hands, out to 50 yards who needs them?????

This info really needs to be passed on to the masses!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trapr

I've looked real hard at the trap, skeet, sporting clay and doubles shooters. They got to be using

really tiny sights on their SG's cause I can't see them. But what the hell., they only shoot at MOVING targets. You boys kill a lot of birds in the season? :rolleyes:

I have a 3' fiber optic on my rib. I cover it over with electricians tape on non slug stages so it doesn't catch my eye. You want to focus on the target with shot loads, not the sight. If your gun fits , it hits where you look. for slugs, take off the tape.

Wow! A three FOOT fiber optic! That must be pretty impressive, but it must take a lot of tape to cover it up! B)

I like my ghost ring sights... they force me to adopt a consistent head position no matter how contorted my body is. With a vent rib alone, I sometimes found myself lifting my head off the stock and missing high. You guys sound like W.C Fields: "I don't drink water.... fish make love in it" :D .

Sights???? On a Rifle???? What do you think this is the Continental Army?? Everyone knows that sights aren't needed for ANYTHING!! Now I know all the cool Trap and Skeet guys like those beads of all shapes and sizes and colors that some call "sights" and some of them really like the mid-rib bead so they have a "windage" index. But if you look at a truely state of the art rifle like the Brown Bess it has NOTHING!! Nor do any of the high end Gambas, Perrazzi, etc. NO sight at all!! Or so I am told....( I could have swore I saw a bead or two on them...one at the end and one in the middle) Remeber if you look at the target you will hit it!!

P.S. My New Brownells catalog has a whole section on Shotgun Sight Kits which is nothing other than boxes of "beads" Maybe we could by Manhatten again. :roflol:

BTW 125 yards with slugs and NO SIGHTS is EAZY!!! Bring a couple tube fulls of slugs, a spotter and a sundial to time and I bet I can get A hit!! :rolleyes:

I'm no Kurt Miller or Trapr Swanson or even a Mike Darby but I generally use my sights when shooting a gauge. And if I'm not using them them I am AWARE of them. In fact, every time I screw up a shotgun stage, I was not paying enough attention to the sights.

FYI the reason that Kurt and Trapr are being so sarcastic is that they have shot more IPSC shotgun matches than just about anyone else in the U.S. If you are not using your sights in an IPSC shotgun match you're going to get hammered by some Eurotrash (or worse English) wienie (no offense :cheers: ) who knows how to use his sights. Typically, in the U.S. we can get away with being a bit sloppy with our shotguns because we are rarely faced with any sort of technical shot but real shotgun matches you better have a good sight picture.

Well Buenos Noches Mr. Kelly!! I know you aren't a Kurt, or Trapr, But you are way better than any Mike Darby, because you are Blond, Nordic looking, and a much faster trigger guy than all 3 you listed, and the Pumpkin Ale Is MUCH better than thought ( I hate to see Kelly shoot in the same division I am in) so there is hope that a real good shooter will finally shoot a shotgun match, such as yourself.....but quit telling these guys about sights! I am old and slow so I can't take the competition!

Everybody knows you don't need no stinkin' sights on a Bow, to hit stuff but I saw them Archery folks using them in the Olympics, they must have been beginners, or cheaters.

Those sight companies have brain washed us with propaganda to believe that we actually "need" them to hit stuff.

BTW, Kelly who said we wuz bein' Sarcastic!!!! :rolleyes:

Trapr

that ausfahrt cheater Mike Darby even pretends to use one on his avatar, actually its a piece of PVC mocked up to look like a Meopta.

Edited by bigbrowndog

I'm no Kurt Miller or Trapr Swanson or even a Mike Darby but I generally use my sights when shooting a gauge. And if I'm not using them them I am AWARE of them. In fact, every time I screw up a shotgun stage, I was not paying enough attention to the sights.

FYI the reason that Kurt and Trapr are being so sarcastic is that they have shot more IPSC shotgun matches than just about anyone else in the U.S. If you are not using your sights in an IPSC shotgun match you're going to get hammered by some Eurotrash (or worse English) wienie (no offense :cheers: ) who knows how to use his sights. Typically, in the U.S. we can get away with being a bit sloppy with our shotguns because we are rarely faced with any sort of technical shot but real shotgun matches you better have a good sight picture.

Thanks for your reasoned, informative , helpful post. That's what I thought this forum was all about. Apparently , some don't see it that way.

Hmmmpff shopgun,

Loosen up a bit.

The use and usefullness of sigths on a shotgun is pretty clear now i believe.

Myself also got a nice hi-vis light pipe front sight on my loooooooong 28" barrel.

As you mention yourself if your gun fits, it hits where you look. Also with slugs.....

But dont take it into the extreme.

Lets say the more skilled the shooter, the less he has need for a sigth to hit.

Hitting an A4 target with a slug at 30 yards without sigths aint a problem for me.

Put a classic popper at 75 yards and i wil appreciate some reference at the end of my barrel.

Greetings

Adrie

Hey Dirty Chamber...you were the one who brought up "a rifle with no sights", and in a way it shoots a slug...or a tip...or a head...Where is that Guiness??? :D:lol:

Guys I am just having a bit of fun with this, I personally think EVERY shot should be AIMED somehow someway, I like a nice big bead at the end of a shotgun with a nice flip up sight for precision shooting. As someone noted a good set of sights can be a real asset in keeping your head down on the stock. I firmly beleive in Fitting a shotgun!!! It is VERY important, but in no way does it alleviate the need for sights/beads/index of some kind and the need to look at it for every shot. The idea of any shot fired without a sight was just too amusing not to play with it a bit. A good friend of mine went to the Olympics in International Skeet for the U.S. and I can tell you that he might not conciously see the bead but he is VERY aware that it is there, and wouldn't fire a single round WITHOUT IT!!! Now I am sure that there are MANY really good shotgun shooters out there that don't need any sights to perform incredible deeds, but I haven't met one yet that shoots 3-gun./IPSC shotgun, and the ones I have met that think that, only think that for ONE match....Now by no means am I an expert on these matters, but I will echo what Kelly Likes to say....."I hope all my competitors don't have sights on their shotguns"

Sorry if I got anyone mad. KurtM

Hey Dirty Chamber...you were the one who brought up "a rifle with no sights", and in a way it shoots a slug...or a tip...or a head...Where is that Guiness??? :D:lol:

That was before we got so serious !! :goof: No really, I do not have the expirience that you guys do but I must say

that a rear sight on a shotgun is slow for me. I think nothing is faster then a rib with a "bead or rod" out front, for everything

ecxept slugs. I have a cut notch system in my rib I have developed for just slugs, works so far !!

You guys are such asshats !!! :P

a very good example of actively using sights or being aware of them for SHOT use would be mr. trick shooter on Shooting USA, I can't remember his name??????? Mc????? something.

He uses a fiber optic on his barrel for SHOT use, ..................are we better shooters than he is??????????????

I would bet that he is aware of it while shooting, and I would bet that his gun is fit to him!!!!!

As for slug shooting, it all depends on how accurate you NEED to be, an IPSC target at 25 yards, POINT. A clay bird at 15yds, AIM, a 12" plate at 50yds, AIM.

Kurt and myself do not use our rear sights on our shotguns at clay birds in the open, or steel plates in the open, when distances are close. But you can bet your Ausfarht's we "aim" when a no shoot is next to it. If we did then there would be no need for the "fold down" option on the sight!!!!! I currently use an XS rear sight because it is very unobtrusive and unnoticed until you need it then you shift your focus and its there, it doesn't ave the "fold down" option but its size keeps it from being in the way.

Several of us have been proponents of rear sights on SG's for slug use, for many years and it seems that shooters here in the US, seem to think that they are unneeded, so after trying to convince people that they are and being told that we don't know shit!!!! SARCASM seems to be our best option!!!!!!

Personally, the US will be in for an eye opening experience on SG use and target presentation when the PanAmerican SG match takes place in 2010.

If I have offended anyone, it was not my intent. Lighten up already :roflol:

Trapr