Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

finally got my press set up - help!

kimmie

Well - after a couple of months of just staring at it, I was up until 2am setting up my new dillon 550. The manual is great and the videos on you-tube even greater! (I really need a visual).

Anyway, I've searched the forum, I've searched on line, and I've read the books, but was wondering if someone can break down the ballistics part in a nutshell? Or at least tell me where to search here and on line. I've got a lot of great resources in fellow shooters at the area 7 match's and at my club but was wondering if someone here could put it in writing for me.

I shoot exclusively .45 limited-10 in a S&W 1911 DK. I occasionally shoot 9mm out of a Colt government 1911 style, just for steel matches. Most of my reloading will be for the 45 but I have a conversion set for the 9mm.

Up until now, I've been shooting just factory. Mostly Winchester, sometimes Magtech. Both really hot, I can handle it, but my second shot suffers. I want to make the power factor but cut down my recoil. And of course - up my accuracy!!!!

Do I want a lighter bullet? 185gr, 200gr? Or will I need more powder to get the velocity and then increase my recoil?

Fast powder? Slow powder?

I'm guessing semiwad. Jacketed???

The more I read and search, the more confused I get!

HELP!!!!!!!

And thanks.

Donna

* also posted this on the reloading 45 site

In the same boat here Donna.

My son and I are just starting to reload for .45

I have the dies and other stuff on order and a free Lyman turret press I set up in the garage.

All us new reloaders can use a lot of help.

JK

Everyone keeps telling me that it's not rocket science - but I'm not so sure!!!!!!! So many variables to think about. Where to begin??????? Just looking for something short and to the point on how it all works!

Let me know how you do.

Donna

So far all I have done was to make a plywood and solid wood sort of mount for the Lyman T-Mag press so I would not have to be bent over while using it.

I'll take a picture when I can.

I have about 100 pieces of .45 brass to reload and 100 rounds sitting waiting for me and my son to blast them away and another 500 rounds (200gr SWC ) on order from Black Hills ammo.

So we'll be set for brass .....for a little while at least.

Been looking at the various bullet heads guys here guys have recommended.

I may try the just lead ones without a copper jacket since they seem to be the best price.

Also have a 1 pound container of Clays powder also from recommendations here on Brian's forum.

Guys seem to like it and VV powder. My local shop has no VV powder but has Clays so the decison was easy.

I brought the speer reloading manual....waiting on the Lyman to arrive.

The Speer is ok but I saw the Lyman when at the gunshop.

The owners copy was well worn and he recommended the Lyman manual.

My son and I will probably eventually "graduate" to a dillon press but the Lyman was the right price.....free!

Also we don't want speed at this point...we want to be safe and careful and not screw it up.

Maybe once we have a lot more experience we will want to reload faster.

John

I've got a lot of good suggestions from my shooting buddies. But need a way to decipher all the info as to why what happens when certain things are done. Make sense? Anyway, I set my press up in a spare room on a black and decker portable work bench. Pretty solid and steady. I'm collecting my factory brass so I have a bunch of once fired Winchester. I'm seeing Clays recommended quite a bit so I'll probably try that. Bullets - I don't know - don't want to do just lead because of the health hazards. Other than that, I'd really like info on bullet type/weight and how it changes recoil/accuracy with certain powders. Gee do I feel stupid!!!!!!

Donna

In hindsight, the thing that confused me with all of the different powders and bullets when I started reloading about a year ago was that I didn't believe that I shot well enough to notice the different "feel" of different loads. But after trying different loads I realized there really is a difference - but you need to try a variety to see what you like. I mostly shoot .40 so I like my .45 loads to be a little snappy so I get a similar feel with both.

Before you commit to bulk purchases of bullets and powder, think about what you want to accomplish. If you have the inclination (and the time) to experiment you may want to try small lots of different powders and bullet weights. If you want to get right to shooting without having to adapt to different loads then pick one of the popular loads and dive in.

Brad

In hindsight, the thing that confused me with all of the different powders and bullets when I started reloading about a year ago was that I didn't believe that I shot well enough to notice the different "feel" of different loads. But after trying different loads I realized there really is a difference - but you need to try a variety to see what you like. I mostly shoot .40 so I like my .45 loads to be a little snappy so I get a similar feel with both.

Before you commit to bulk purchases of bullets and powder, think about what you want to accomplish. If you have the inclination (and the time) to experiment you may want to try small lots of different powders and bullet weights. If you want to get right to shooting without having to adapt to different loads then pick one of the popular loads and dive in.

Brad

Thanks Brad - good suggestion. I actually have a friend who is going to make me up 10 rounds each of several different 'recipes' and I'm going to shoot them at his club next Friday. I will definately have notebook and pen in hand.

And I still dispute that 'not rocket science statement'!!!!!! :wacko:

Donna

Thanks Brad - good suggestion. I actually have a friend who is going to make me up 10 rounds each of several different 'recipes' and I'm going to shoot them at his club next Friday. I will definately have notebook and pen in hand.

And I still dispute that 'not rocket science statement'!!!!!! :wacko:

Donna

See if you talk him in to more like 25 to 50 of each, that will let you shoot enough of each to develop an opinion of the way they feel. And it isn't rocket science - it's worse because it is so subjective. Kind of like asking what is the best cookie (a lot of people go with chocolate chip but the correct answer is oatmeal raisin B) ).

Brad

Try a 230 grain round nose lead bullet with 3.9 grain of Clays. You will think you are cheating. Heavier bullets can be driven at lower fps to obtain the necessary velocity to make major power factor. Result : Very low felt recoil. To do that you need a fast powder like Clays. If you use a jacketed 230 grain bullet you might want to bump that to 4.0 or 4.1 grains of Clay's.

Develop a rhythm with your reloading so that if you are interrupted for any reason, you always stop with the ram in the up position. If the ram is up then the case under the powder measure has powder. This is the easiest way to insure against double charges & squib loads. Make sure the low primer warning rod is in place after loading primers.

Clays and a 230 gr bullet gives more of a straight back push than a lighter bullet which for me seems to flip more. Also this is what Rob Leathem recommends on his web site without naming a powder.

Leaving Clays and especially Tite Group in your powder measure for extended periods of time will tend to blacken the powder chamber. The easiest way to dump the powder is to remove the fail/safe rod, then the 2 pins holding the toolhead/dies, then dump the powder back in the original can. NEVER NEVER have more than 1 can of powder on the bench at any one time.

Reloading is not rocket science but it does require some attention to detail. Gun handling has some safety rules and so does reloading and eye protection is at the top of the list.

Thanks everyone :rolleyes: !!!!! It's starting to make sense!

But I know that the first time I fire one of my homemade bullets - I'm going to be soooooo scared :surprise: !!!!

Donna

You could start by first making and exploding homemade pipe bombs. That makes ammo seem like pretty tame stuff... ;)

The above is not intended as serious. Making and exploding pipe boms is very very very dangerous. Stick with something safer, like ricin making.

Edited by ben b.

Develop a rhythm with your reloading so that if you are interrupted for any reason, you always stop with the ram in the up position. If the ram is up then the case under the powder measure has powder. This is the easiest way to insure against double charges & squib loads. Make sure the low primer warning rod is in place after loading primers.

Clays and a 230 gr bullet gives more of a straight back push than a lighter bullet which for me seems to flip more. Also this is what Rob Leathem recommends on his web site without naming a powder.

Leaving Clays and especially Tite Group in your powder measure for extended periods of time will tend to blacken the powder chamber. The easiest way to dump the powder is to remove the fail/safe rod, then the 2 pins holding the toolhead/dies, then dump the powder back in the original can. NEVER NEVER have more than 1 can of powder on the bench at any one time.

Reloading is not rocket science but it does require some attention to detail. Gun handling has some safety rules and so does reloading and eye protection is at the top of the list.

Thanks for the input. You are so right. I'm a firearm instructor also, and I know carelessness is one of the biggest causes of firearm accidents. But carlessness is also the biggest cause of just about ANY accident. I'm still a little nervous so hopefully that will make me even safer!

I knew I came to the right place for advice!!!!!

And to digress - Rob Leatham rocks (as I said on my other thread) and I got the chance to take the Babes w/Bullets class with his wife Kippie, a few years back in Arizona. Great experience! Also got to shoot with Julie, Kay, Lisa, Sheila and Judy Wooley. And rub shoulders with Jerry. I'm still in awe!!!!! Here's my photos if you want to see!

http://picasaweb.google.com/deehmah/BabesW...key=vTf7KDLl2Ss

I also asked on the .45 reloading thread why Clays (mid burning) is better than something like Bullseye which is faster burning. Faster burning means less recoil, yes?????

Thanks again.

Donna

Thanks everyone :rolleyes: !!!!! It's starting to make sense!

But I know that the first time I fire one of my homemade bullets - I'm going to be soooooo scared :surprise: !!!!

Donna

You could start by first making and exploding homemade pipe bombs. That makes ammo seem like pretty tame stuff... ;)

The above is not intended as serious. Making and exploding pipe boms is very very very dangerous. Stick with something safer, like ricin making.

You so funny :roflol: But if you knew what part of Boston I was from, you'd be scared I'd take you seriously!!!! :ph34r:

Donna,

Since you're shooting .45ACP, the softest major load, is 4.2 of Clays, under a 230 FMJ. When USPSA went to different divisions, using the old power factor, 4.4 of Clays with the 230 was used by Robbie, Jerry Barnhart and the other top competitors.

Try it, you'll like it!

Donna you a Southie?

Haaad to believe....... a nice lady like you. ;)

JK

Nope - I'ma Dot gurl!!!!! My gun club is in Fields Corner right under the T station - fa real !!!!!! -That's where I pahk my cah! :rolleyes:

D

Donna,

Since you're shooting .45ACP, the softest major load, is 4.2 of Clays, under a 230 FMJ. When USPSA went to different divisions, using the old power factor, 4.4 of Clays with the 230 was used by Robbie, Jerry Barnhart and the other top competitors.

Try it, you'll like it!

Dan - Clays seems to be the popular choice - but people keep talking about it being easy to double charge - is that because it fills the case more? But I would think if you're paying attention to what you're doing - that should't be an issue ---- I'll try it.

D

Dan - Clays seems to be the popular choice - but people keep talking about it being easy to double charge - is that because it fills the case more? But I would think if you're paying attention to what you're doing - that should't be an issue ---- I'll try it.

D

It is the "if" and "shouldn't" parts that have kept me (new reloader) away from Clays, so far. That and the 3,000 more 200gr bullets I have to use up. I'll likely try it soon with some 230 gr JHP.

It's popular for good reason. With a 550, you only have to remember to turn the shell plate after each stroke. If you have a doubt, pull the case and look. A double charge will be obvious. Get used to the machine, and making good ammo, then work on some speed.

The powders commonly used in .45 are all easy to double charge.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

Donna,

A double charge is when you charge the same case twice. It should be easy to see if you look in the case before you set the bullet on top, it will be almost full of powder in some cases, but certainly noticeably more powder. The 550 is the kind of press that makes it easy if you're not paying attention by stroking the press a second time without rotating the tool head. Always make sure you have no cases on the press if you answer the phone or take a restroom break. That way you don't accidentally charge a case twice and ALWAYS visually inspect the inside of the case before you place a projectile on top of the case to seat it.

My wife is attending the "Babes with Bullets" class in Arizona in a few weeks and she is looking forward to it. The best thing that can happen to me is she will enjoy it. She's shot a local club match now and can't wait until the next one. If she likes to shoot it will certainly make life easier on me. Either way I plan to marry Julie Goloski in my next life! lol

Donna,

A double charge is when you charge the same case twice. It should be easy to see if you look in the case before you set the bullet on top, it will be almost full of powder in some cases, but certainly noticeably more powder. The 550 is the kind of press that makes it easy if you're not paying attention by stroking the press a second time without rotating the tool head. Always make sure you have no cases on the press if you answer the phone or take a restroom break. That way you don't accidentally charge a case twice and ALWAYS visually inspect the inside of the case before you place a projectile on top of the case to seat it.

My wife is attending the "Babes with Bullets" class in Arizona in a few weeks and she is looking forward to it. The best thing that can happen to me is she will enjoy it. She's shot a local club match now and can't wait until the next one. If she likes to shoot it will certainly make life easier on me. Either way I plan to marry Julie Goloski in my next life! lol

Thanks for the advice. Your wife will LOVE the Babes class. I've been twice and this past year went to Kay and Jerry's home range in Louisianna for the LadySmith match and advanced training class. And I got to meet Calamity Jane and her orange eyes, face to face!!!!!!

Ummmm - does your wife know about your next life plans :huh:

D