Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Manual Rifle

grim death

I wanted to start shooting some manual rifle but I'm not sure on a set up.Are people shooting .30 cal guns with a heavy barrel or will a varmint gun work ( rem vssf 22-250 )?How far do the targets usually range?

Thanks for any help

grim

.223 caliber can work with heavy high BC bullets as long as the wind isn't fierce. The bigger calibers will do a better job activating flasher targets at the longest ranges (400+). I understood this was an issue at the 3 gun nationals on one of the long range rifle stages (I don't have any details on this).

Custom AR's with gas block shutoff's, bolt cycling handles, and specialized magazines for feeding 80 grain projectiles work well, but require a lot of the builder. Try Accuracy Speaks for this type of setup. Jake Kempton uses this type of rifle built at Accuracy Speaks.

I chose the .270 cartridge with a Sierra 135gr MK which gives a .48 BC at 2800 fps. It works well but has the drawback of a long bolt throw because of the cartridge length.

.308 will work well with match grade projectiles. But the best results will probably be had with a 6mm type cartridge using the .5 BC and above VLD type projectiles.

IMO, the best choice for a new rifle would be the Tubb 2000 in one of the 6mm calibers. It is bolt activated, box mag fed, and shoots sub MOA fer sure. A bolt action with 5 round removable mags would be the next best choice. To shoot in the standard (iron sighted rifle) class, you could use a bolt action that loads with stripper clips because you don't have a scope over the loading port.

If you prep an open class MOR rifle, a muzzle brake goes a long way towards getting shots off fast, and seeing the bullet impact through the scope. Optics are a big part of the open rifle too. Get a scope with target knobs, and the ability to rapid change between pre-determined zero's. Don't cheap out on the glass for a long distance rifle, buy quality.

JP Rifles does a Remington 700 setup that is pretty nice for the price if you decide to go with a traditional bolt action.

If I were doing it from the ground up (and had the cash it takes) it would be the Tubb 2000 for me. Here is a link to David Tubb's site where you can download a PDF file on his rifle. http://www.davidtubb.com/

Regards,

The bigger calibers will do a better job activating flasher targets at the longest ranges (400+). I understood this was an issue at the 3 gun nationals on one of the long range rifle stages (I don't have any details on this).

I worked a shotgun stage, so I can only tell you what I heard..... There was a problem on the 600 yard range with the flashers. If I remember correctly, one of the problems they were having was with the cables getting cut from bullet fragments. Also, I know of at least one flasher that was shot directly, even though it was something like 10 feet from the target..... :blink:

problems they were having was with the cables getting cut from bullet fragments. Also, I know of at least one flasher that was shot directly, even though it was something like 10 feet from the target.

Aha, this makes me think they were having trouble with impact triggered electronic strobe flashers. I was referring to manual flashers that rotate more with a heavier hit in my earlier point. I did not realize that electronic ones were used at this years nats. That says something about marksmanship if they were getting hits on parts that far from the targets. Even at 600, ya oughta be closer than that ifn' ya got your dope down. Musta been real windy ;-)

Regards,

Aha, this makes me think they were having trouble with impact triggered electronic strobe flashers. I was referring to manual flashers that rotate more with a heavier hit in my earlier point. I did not realize that electronic ones were used at this years nats. That says something about marksmanship if they were getting hits on parts that far from the targets ;-) Even at 600, ya oughta be closer than that ifn' ya got your dope down, musta been real windy.

Again, I was not working this stage, so I am only reporting what I remember hearing. As for the wind..... what wind??? ;)

Hi Brian,

I envy you having been there. Did the RO's get to shoot the match? I wish I had been able to go. I was looking forward to the MOR match big time, but a work conflict reared it's ugly head at the last moment, and making money won out over going shooting (nowadays it's no contest on this one).

BTW, anyone know what the MOR results were. I only saw the main match results on the USPSA site recently.

Regards,

Did the RO's get to shoot the match?

There simply was not enough time for the RO's to shoot these matches (3 Gun and FGN). You had the option of shooting a few stages (primarily to help debug them), but I don't know of anyone that made it through the entire match. I do wish I had brought my shotgun to shoot those stages, but decided it was a hassle to have to haul it back and forth to the range every day, and just left it home..... :(

I shot the Manual Operated Rifle Side Match @ the 3-Gun. I had never seen one of these matches before but read about last years match and since I was entered in the 3-Gun, decided to give it a try. I used a box stock Rem 700 LTR and adjusted the trigger to 2#. I had a Simmons Whitetail Classic 4 x 12 with Stoney Point Target Knobs (not a high end setup). I hit the 600 yds targets with no problem and nailed the 300 yd poppers. For some reason I couldn't hit the 300 yd USPSA poppers. I used Sierra 175 MK over 44.8 Varget. When I shot the wind was not a factor. I messed up the Standards and had trouble with the off-hand 175 yd poppers and A/B zone shots exactly zeroing that stage. If I have an opportunity to shoot this again, my first priorty would be detachable mags, next better glass with more repeatable elevation adjustments. Having now shot the match, I would alter my practice to include more off-hand work. Not everyone shooting the Tubb 2000 was happy. My shooting buddy Bill Hearn, who lurks on this forum, came in third shooting a Sako TRG 22. The flashers worked for the manual event. The problems occured during the regular match and the first three squads had to shoot it over after the flashers were removed.

Not everyone shooting the Tubb 2000 was happy.

Not happy with the rifle or themselves?

I know Eddie and I put a lot of ammo downrange through ours getting ready. I ended up not going because Uncle Sam wanted me elsewhere.

I am very happy with my Tubb in 6XC.

The flashers worked for the manual event.  The problems occured during the regular match and the first three squads had to shoot it over after the flashers were removed.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew there was a problem in one of the matches, and thought it was the manual. However, the more that I think about this, it had to be the main match as I remember having to post a sign on my shotgun stage telling certain squads that they were going to have to reshoot a rifle stage... :blink:

I shot a TRG 22 and it worked well for me.This is a great way to go for an out of the box competition gun.The detachable mags hold 10 rds.The stock is fully adjustable and it has a fully adjustable 2 stage trigger.I have shot 3/4" 5 shot groups at 200m off bipod and I am not a great benchrest shooter.

I used a 5.5X22 Nightforce NXS and it is a fantastic scope.Did I mention it has a HUGE muzzle break that makes it feel like shooting a .22 (almost). :D

I don't find the .308 a huge handicap because without some type of ranging marks in your scope you will have to click up and down anyway.Of course the wind may effect it more than a hot 6mm.

True to my luck I came in 3rd and plaques were given for 1st and 2nd and no prizes. :(

Bill Hearne

HI my name is Matt and I am a new rifle shooter. :mellow:

WOW talk about a frustrating match for me. Brought the damn LRS in .308 with some POS scope on it. Ahhh, problem with scope found, borrow rifle and ammo from James Darst. THANKS JAMES. Still couldn't tell you what caliber it was, but won a stage with it, 2nd on the other one and then it wouldn't hit the 600 yards targets and cost me the match. :wacko: Anyway, it had a Nightforce 3.5-14 with a mil-dot reticule and a HS Precision stock that takes 10 round mags. The action was called a 702 which is a cross between a Rem and a Winchester. The Bipod was the swivel type with a Pod-Locker (available from Brownells) on it. That was a really cool addition. Will be having one on my regular three gun AR also.

I will be building up my long range gun here pretty soon. Will keep everyone up to date on the progress.

:)

The flashers worked for the manual event.  The problems occured during the regular match and the first three squads had to shoot it over after the flashers were removed.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew there was a problem in one of the matches, and thought it was the manual. However, the more that I think about this, it had to be the main match as I remember having to post a sign on my shotgun stage telling certain squads that they were going to have to reshoot a rifle stage... :blink:

Yup, that was us. :o

We had 5 or 6 reshoots in that one stage the first time and they finally told us to go away and come back later. We had severed several cables for the flash poppers, but it was one of the other squads that shot a flasher. :unsure:

We got to come back and try it again (3rd time for a couple of guys) and they had just replaced all the flashers with falling or resetting poppers.

• 15 years later...

Not sure why this thread popped back up to the top.  I had forgotten all about it.

As luck would have it, I am the caretaker of Eddie Rhodes Tubb2000 in 308.

I added a S&B 5-25 scope and a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 suppressor.  Everything else is still the same.

It still shoots awesome, just quieter now.  

VGtUKJQ.jpg