Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First DQ.... with video

Z32MadMan

Well I had my first DQ today, and hopefully it will be my last. The stage was set up with four targets on each side of the line. So you shoot the left targets from the right side of the line and so on. Well after I got done shooting all 8 targets, I slipped running downrange and my gun came around behind me. Definitely breaking the 180. The RO told me to keep shooting because he wasn't positive on what he saw, but everyone confirmed it including the match supervisor. The guys were saying I slipped on an empty magazine that I dropped, but looking at the video I think it was just the wet ground. Being DQ'ed really sucks, it just makes you feel so bad. I didn't mind missing the last stage or not getting the score, I just feel terrible about breaking a safety rule like that. I guess it is a learning experience, I sure learned something.. Next time you fall down maintain good gun control especially when you are trying to get back up. I'm just glad there was no AD and no one got hurt.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2167178670911571604

Luckily, your finger was out of the trigger gaurd, right where it should've been when moving. Noway you slipped on the mag as it looks like it's still in the air. It sucks to be DQ'd but you went home without any extra orifices in yourself, or anyone else. That's what matters.

It's really hard to see the muzzle direction in that video... but it doesn't look like you broke the 180 in the slip... but when you started running forward just after the slip it looks like you did point the muzzle back. Very close to call though based on this video.

It's really hard to see the muzzle direction in that video... but it doesn't look like you broke the 180 in the slip... but when you started running forward just after the slip it looks like you did point the muzzle back. Very close to call though based on this video.

Yeah, it was when I started to get up and run downrange. When I actually slipped the the pistol touch the ground vertically. The actually video I have on my computer is much better quality, there is no question the gun came around the bad way :(

It's really hard to see the muzzle direction in that video...

Looked like the muzzle direction was pointed at the peanut gallerly to me. No doubt about it.

Good job keeping your finger off the trigger Mad Man. :cheers:

I played it a bunch and like the shooter said he broke the 180 so no question. I don't think he broke it until he started to run again like he said. I can't see exactly how far back the the muzzle was.... do you really think it was so far back it was uprange at the peanut gallery? I couldn't make out the muzzle pointing that far beyond the 180.

But... like you said... great finger control.

It's really hard to see the muzzle direction in that video...

Looked like the muzzle direction was pointed at the peanut gallerly to me. No doubt about it.

Edited by lugnut

One more thing to add. This DQ wasn't as bad as some I've heard about. Not that ANY are good but I don't think anyone can be 100% certain what would happen if they slipped like that.

I was at a match where the shooter started with his hands on the barrel facing up range. On the buzzer the shooter drew the gun and pointed it directly up range BEFORE he realized he didn't turn!!!

Sorry for going OT.

Definate 180, good control of the gun. I think the root cause is your footware and the slick surface. I saw this same thing last week without the 180, smooth soled sneakers. You might want to try a more aggressive shoe or cleats.

Ahhhh...my home range and the very match I was supposed to shoot today, but didn't due to my M&P mag disconnect disintegrating at practice.

I give you credit for posting the video up for public display...that is NOT a pleasant way to have a match go. Glad you kept control of your pistol and didn't sling it when you stumbled.

Had that been me falling, I would have finished that stage shooting from the ground.

Definate 180, good control of the gun. I think the root cause is your footware and the slick surface. I saw this same thing last week without the 180, smooth soled sneakers. You might want to try a more aggressive shoe or cleats.

I shoot in that same bay a few times a week, and it is indeed rough with smoother soled shoes. This is the very reason that I bought a pair of Hi-Tec hiking shoes with studded bottoms for better traction. I have busted my behind here pretty bad a few times. Loose brass, hard packed soil with slick grass on top. Definitely NOT an ideal place to run full out.

Thanks for sharing this so we can all learn. I really appreciate it.

One word of advice -- spikes! I had a similar incident occur when I first started competing in just regular running shoes. I slipped going sideways but didn't fall or lose control of the gun so I was lucky. The next day I bought a pair of pair of Nike Landshark football shoes with small molded rubber spikes. These work great on all surfaces even wood planks/stairs/decks. I never have to worry about my footing now unless it is a complete quagmire.

Thanks, that took a lot of guts to share. Clearly the combo of smooth shoes and grass got you and it was definitely when you started getting going again that the gun pointed behind you. Don't take it too hard. Physiology is what got you there, not bad habits. When you're off balance and you start moving forward the opposite arm goes back to balance you and it happens without thinking. I learned the same lesson a different way...running into a port on a slippery surface while wearing normal hiking shoes. My feet slipped forward when I went to stop and my hands and gun went out in front of me and pointed upwards without thinking....just my body trying to balance itself. I caught myself and finished the stage fine, but bought a pair of Adidas Corner Blitz soccer cleats that very week.

This is your friend !!!

f8c527d1.jpg

But you need to also look at where you are going to be shooting. I have eaten shit

on dirt because I did'nt have them and then ate it on wood planks because I did. :wacko:

The thing to always remeber is gun, gun, gun, let your body take the brunt and keep the

gun out of it !!! I still have a scar from taking a shin slide downhill in the extra sharp Arizona

dirt just to keep my rifle pointed in the right direction...

We've all shot in grass wearing sneakers, and I believe, this could happen to any of us.

That's a big fear of mine... slipping and breaking the 180 by trying to catch myself or balance.

I usually shoot in my running shoes. I don't own any cleats. I'd buy some, but I don't want to be the guy with all the expensive equipment that can't shoot.

We've all shot in grass wearing sneakers, and I believe, this could happen to any of us.

That's a big fear of mine... slipping and breaking the 180 by trying to catch myself or balance.

I usually shoot in my running shoes. I don't own any cleats. I'd buy some, but I don't want to be the guy with all the expensive equipment that can't shoot.

While I agree someone spending $3000 of equipment and showing up to there first match to shoot in Open may be looked upon like that, I don't think wearing a pair of cleats would fall into that category. Besides you can get cleats that look like normal shoes. You can buy the cleats that Dirty Chamber posted for $20 online. I have already ordered mine. And even if a new guy showing up to a match with cleats is looked down upon, I don't care. It is my responsibility to shoot safely, me wearing running shoes to a match on damp grass was a bad call. So if wearing cleats will help me keep things safe and improve my ability move, then I'm sold.

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Hopefully I will get through the next match without any "slippery surface induced mishaps." :rolleyes:

If you don't kow what you are looking for/at then that pic is kinda tough to interprit.

I did watch the video several times, paused at the slide, and rewound it several more times. Definate 180, tough to see the finger from our vantage point, for me at least, but I think you recovered well. RO should have made a more definitave call other than "whoa". I've been right where you were, fall that resulted in a DQ. Thats what happens to us when you are going full tilt... but loose grip. Cleats are your friend.

edit: Nike land sharks are great, for just about everyone. I'm in the minority here in that they dont' fit me well, too narrow. Ended up going with the Under Armour cleat, which accomidates my wider foot better.

Edited by ken hebert