Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Billy Bullets, anyone?

Qbert

Hey, folks!  Long time lurker, first time poster.

There's a guy in Mesa that sells bullets at local Phoenix gunshows and at Rio Salado in Mesa.  They are a moly-coated (I think) bullet called "Billy Bullets".  Has anyone tried these?  Do they foul bores?  Are they accurate?  

I remember reading on Wil Schuemann's site that moly on bullets could lead to premature bore wear.  Thus my concern.  Any feedback on these bullets would be greatly appreciated, as the prices are right!

Thanks!

I shot over 10,000 of those thru my super and 45's, the only complaint I have about them is their slipperly,(well dah, their moly coated) and you if you don't have a good hold on them when you pick them up, they slip out of your fingers.

Howdy Qbert,

I have used Billy Bullets as my lead bullet of choice for years. Bill Lagusis (Billiy Bullets) used to live up here in the San Francisco bay area before he moved to AZ in the nineties. Bill is a great guy, and a longtime competitive shooter. I highly recommend his product.

Billy Bullets are some of the hardest lead bullets I have ever used. They shoot well, and don't lead barrels heavily, even at relatively high velocities. (I used to run his 150 grain LSWC at just under 1200 fps out of my super with excellent results).

I have used about 30-40 thousand of his older style (wax lube) LSWC bullets in my .38 super and various 9mm's over the years with no problems whatsoever.

I bought a huge batch of them many moons ago (before he started using the moly coat instead of wax lube in a groove), and still have a lot left. I have not used the moly coated versions myself, but have heard from people I shoot with that they work as well as the wax lube type I am familiar with. I am also told that they smoke a lot less too.

Regards,

Thanks, Rishii and George!

As far as I know, Bill sold the company to a guy named Rudy Warren or maybe he's a distributor or something.  I seem to remember him saying he owned the company and made the bullets himself at the gunshow I met him at though.

My recommendation stands if Bill still owns (and makes) Billy Bullets. If someone else is running it, then my info is not only completely out of date, but might also be very inaccurate. My apologies for not knowing any different. I have not talked to Bill for 5, or 6 years now.

Regards,

no I always shoot jacketed bullets at night, keeps down on any smoke that is enhanced by those big ass lights. lol... I switch pistols alot, I use a SVI 9mm, Glock21 ,Glock19,Kimber 45 and my Beretta 92FS... I mix it up to keep familiar with all my toys. I will start using a Para Ord Limited  38super my gunsmith is finishing up in a week or so, and also a Glock 17 that my brother was cool enough to get me for XMAS.

I've seen you tearing it up with your G21 and your Beretta (I think maybe also your Sig 220 but I'm not sure), but I thought you sold the SV 9mm because you shot it too fast!

10-4 about the smoke at night.  That short Asian guy with his open gun and hot lead reloads can smoke out the whole damn bay!

My wife was cool enough to buy me a membership for Christmas, so I have no excuse not to get out there anymore!  Do you shoot any other matches other than TNS and 3-gun matches at Rio?

(Edited by Qbert at 6:51 pm on Dec. 25, 2002)