Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marking Brass

xcelr8hard

• 4 weeks later...
Just accept that they will only last one shoot. I mark mine with a black and blue cross. 10 lines down and 10 across and 100 is marked. One trip through the tumbler and it is all gone though.

That's exactly what I do. I mark my brass for different reasons though, and it isn't to be able to identify so I can pick them up.

Because I fool around with ammo powders, primers and projectiles, I mark them differently so I can track my ammo recipes and versoins. I came with the realization one day that my memory isn't such an iron box as it once was when I saw 4 different batches of ammo in baggies and I had to ask myself "wait, which one is my match ammo again?"

I also do it, so when I have to unload and show clear, if my bullet hits the ground I don't want to pick up someone else double charged ammo.

Edited by Aristotle

While I have not done it to brass that takes a beating (like 38 Super), I patina'd some 45 ACP brass in red. Solid red brass was pretty easy to find and no one really mixed it up with theirs. Can't say if it was a great idea or not, but it was an interesting experiment. The formulas for various colors are at http://secure.sciencecompany.com/-W12C672.aspx.

Use at your own risk, etc, etc, etc.

While I have not done it to brass that takes a beating (like 38 Super), I patina'd some 45 ACP brass in red. Solid red brass was pretty easy to find and no one really mixed it up with theirs. Can't say if it was a great idea or not, but it was an interesting experiment. The formulas for various colors are at http://secure.sciencecompany.com/-W12C672.aspx.

Use at your own risk, etc, etc, etc.

Does the patina survive resizing and tumbling?

Edited by Jeff686

Thread Drift

EEH, one of the best clubs I have ever shot with, as far as brass was concerned, was the Asheville, NC club at Lake Lure. Squad members ratted brass hard after every shooter and then dumped the brass on that berm's table and let everyone sort out their own. I got a very high percentage of my brass back.

Thread Drift Off