Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

surplus pistol powder

1badmagnum

I have several rifle surplus powders,

I have used them in my .270 and scene them used in 300 wby

I have no experiance with the type of powder you speak of but i have used a powder with the same burning rate as h-1000 and i got fantastic results, i accually got more velosity with the surplus powders than i did with my convential handloads.......but i also burned 15 grains more powder to get there.........

i say go for it.....

-gbm-

gibrass was the supplier I was thinking of.my 50 ae loads require 29.5-32.5 of h110,so I will need to start somewhere under 29 grains.but I cant really reduce the loads much below 29 grains,(not recommended for h110)but I have heard of people loading way over 32.5 grains in a desert eagle.which is rediculous in my book.I shoot at least 300 rounds per week,I just want to lower my costs and shoot more.thanks for the reply.

don't know if it helps but me and a few friends bought some surplus AA5. it was pure junk. extrem spread of 200 fps or more pressure way up dirty like you wouldn't believe, a total loss, we burned it all upon a fire.we got took so watch what you get and start real low with your loads.