Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

difference between Gold Custom and Gold Custom Eric

rrpalma

Hello,

Total noob here. I currently have a Limited Custom, and have never fired a compensated pistol before.

I have an opportunity to purchase a NIB Tanfoglio that has a compensator; it's labeled Gold Custom on the side. If somebody would be nice to enough to enlighten me, my questions are:

1) How can I tell whether the pistol is Gold Custom, or Gold Custom Eric? It was probably made in yr 2005 or 2006, has the same iron sights as my Limited (supersights?) and is all hard chromed .

2) VERY BASIC & DUMB question: what's the experience like of firing a similar pistol as opposed to my Limited Custom? Both are in 38 Super. How about accuracy?

3) What's the approximate going price for one of these?

4) Any holster suggestions?

Thanks for reading!!

Eric custom has lightened slide, 8 port holes, 3 comp holes for V8 and 2 comp holes,12 port holes for V12.

Regular gold custom is full slide with only a compensator on it. I don't know how much the gold custom back in 2005 but I would guess it was around $1,000.00 dollars. The V12 now retails for $1,879.00. Accuracy on these guns are scarry accurate! I can put in a 2.5 group at 50yrds! polygonal barrel are just excellent. Compared to the limited custom, I would say limited shooting is different than shooting a dot in open. only an expirienced shooter can judge that! As for me, It is faster in Open because there is no switching your focus on the sight alignment to the target. In open, you just look at the target and the gun follows, then call your shots by tracking your dot! A really good holster would be THE GHOST holster for these guns. I currently use a CR SPEED holster as the one used by our great IPSC champion Eric Grauffel.

Here's V12 2007/2008 ERIC'S MODEL GOLD CUSTOM:

post-4289-1217399154.jpg

THE V8 HAS 3 PORT HOLES ON THE COMP BUT HAS NO SMALL HOLES ON IT

JUST PORT HOLES ON THE SLIDE

Edited by shooterbenedetto

"Eric" has been the name for the latest Gold Team models for a couple of years. Last year Tanfoglio introduced the 2007 Gold Team / Custom "Eric" model which is a 0.400" shorter slide than the 2006 models. The difference is that the 2006 had a long slide, V8 porting and a 3 port comp while the 2007 had the short slide which is the same length as the Stock / Stock II pistols. The short slide is equipped with a V12 porting and a stubby 2 port comp.

In 2007, the V12 as it's mostly referred to as, was available world wide, except the US. EAA only received the V12 this year and it is currently the only Gold Team / Open model they offer. For the rest of the world, Tanfoglio offers both the V8 and the V12.

Eric, who shot the stubby V12 for a while switched back to the V8. Even though he designed the V12, he ended up shooting the V8 at the 2007 Europeans because it had a softer recoil. This year, as far as I know, he is back on the V12 and added a few side ports or something.

The 'common' impression is that the V12 is a little more snappy than the V8. However, it is very cool to shoot and quick handled. These "felt impressions" are very individual as are most things. Powder type and charge affects the recoil hugely.

For instance, my buddy Frank in Norway has a long slide 3 port comp setup that came without any slide/barrel porting. He did his own 4 port straight up more like the traditional hybrid barrels. (Remember.. Matt McLearn won the 1993 World Championships with a hybid barrel so these systems have been around for a while). So, in IPSC the MAJOR requirement is 160pf and most people load to 165pf. Well, Frank found that using Vit N-105 he had less muzzle flip loading to about 178pf. So his setup is a 3 port, 4 barrel ported longslide with a long dustcover. His 3 port comp has been opened up for more effect.

I shot Frank's gun little over a month ago in Norway after a local match we shot together. No doubt, his setup was pretty cool.

My open setup is a longslide V8 with a factory 3 port comp that I've opened up. I cut my long dustcover off. In 2003-2005 I experimented with everything from a long dustcover, to medium to short dustcover and found that the short dustcover had a less nervous muzzle flip which settled the gun better for me. I'm using IMR 7625 powder and load to 170pf.

For me and I think for a lot of people, the open division is fun because of the technical aspect. We get to "believe" our shit is the best. Most importantly, keep an open mind, try other shooter's guns and don't just shoot 5 shots and say "wow that gun is f#$@king nice". To really tell I think you need to shoot two different guns back/forth in practice under different conditions. Then you need to verify in a competition that is important enough for you to get butterflies in your stomach. The gun will recoil differently when you're standing and when you're kneeling. What matters is the overall picture and it's hard to have a practice routine that is as diversified as our sport. That's why I ultimately like to try new things in a competition. Not the smartest maybe, because I've got my ass chewed up from dumb stuff. But if I'm willing to sacrifice some performance to figure things out then it's okay. For Europeans, World matches and National Championships that I actually try to do well in, I never experiment.

Edited by sinnsyk

I have both and i prefer my V8 over the V12, but my V8 has some other work done to the grip and that may play part of liking it more. The V12 is a little snappier I think then the V8 but thats personal opinion.

Leo

That can be done....I just need to order a comp and barrel for V8 and fit it to my v12 slide?

Does Eaa sell it?

WHAT POWER FACTOR DOES THE V12 WORK THE COMP? AND WHAT SPRING WEIGHT ON THE RECOIL SPRING?

That can be done....I just need to order a comp and barrel for V8 and fit it to my v12 slide?

Does Eaa sell it?

WHAT POWER FACTOR DOES THE V12 WORK THE COMP? AND WHAT SPRING WEIGHT ON THE RECOIL SPRING?

Here in the US you wont be getting a upper for a Gold Team anytime soon, I have one of each complete guns. I run 10lb recoils in each and so far powder wise 7625 and 125gr Zeros have felt the best in both of them.

Leo

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I need some help. I have long slide Tanfoglio gold custom 38 SA. I like them. I ordered conversion kit with the same cal. Just to have spare upper part of gun. They shipped shorter, tanfoglio gold custom eric 2007. Can I use this upper part with my long frame gum ? Can I expect some problems for this misalignment ? Please help me.

I need some help. I have long slide Tanfoglio gold custom 38 SA. I like them. I ordered conversion kit with the same cal. Just to have spare upper part of gun. They shipped shorter, tanfoglio gold custom eric 2007. Can I use this upper part with my long frame gum ? Can I expect some problems for this misalignment ? Please help me.

Where did you order? EAA in Florida? if it is, it will be for a large frame fit only.

if not and its comin from Europe dealer, then its going to be a small frame.

you need to figure out what frame you have. If it dont work out, i'll be interested

in buying the topend if it is small frame.

So, you have an open class gun with a long dustcover, and now your new slide is shorter than your dustcover? It must be painfull to look at. Maybe you should shorten your dustcover? In my opinion full-lenght dustcover looks ugly anyway and it don't belong to an open class pistol.

WIth 29 round magazine, point, bullbarrel and comp they are allready heavy enough.

So from what your saying (Henning) If I was to order an open gun from eaa it would be an 2007 Eric just with a different name?

I want to get an Eric for open division but was told that we aren't able to. If so, Hell ya! I want one now! Does anyone know how much?

Alright. I checked out the EAA website and also called them to confirm. The gold team gun is the 07 Eric! What a great deal at only $2000. If anyone has this open gun please give me some feedback on what you think of this gun. I want to hear more about it before I make the leap. I am hoping to get one in 9mm major due to the cost of brass. I know that they had some issues with the barrel to slide fit when they first came out but those have been recalled and now should be squares away. Any one compared them to an STI yet?

It really depends on how your trigger speed is with 1911 and how you are on a Hinged trigger like Eaa.

I can do it on both platform. some go back to STI coz their trigger is smoother and faster and can hose targets.

I love the EAA..I learned on an STI but just love these guns. they fit well in my hands

and very sexy gun. You might want to change the compensator to a more efficient one.I find

that its works for me. SP2 is the ULTIMATE load but since its not available here in US, Vit 3n38 is Identical powder or Imr 7625 what Henning uses. Lots of STI shooters says that this gun is violent.I say its the driver

not the car! The barrel lug problem is now fixed and has no issues. I have also taken an allchin mount and modify it to fit the EAA. Its a more solid mount. You can buy accessories at Henning and you will be good to go.