Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP 01

jam-man

Let me start by saying that I have completed a long search on this forum and several other forums. The more I search the more I am confused. I have also emailed IDPA and they have not returned by email, I pay dues for something, haven't figured out for what yet.

The first question I have is the light rail considered a dust cover? Here is what the IDPA rule book says about ligth rails: Guns that come with light rails straight from the factory may be used in IDPA competition AS LONG AS the gun still meets all

division criteria. However, the light itself may not be used on the

gun.

The second question that I have if the light rail is consider a full length dust cover what metal is it? Does anyone know what metal SP 01 frame is made of. The IDPA rule book states full length dust covers of stainless steel or carbon steel is not allowed in ESP, so what is the SP 01 made of? If it is not stainless or carbon is it allowed in ESP?

I have also researched on shaving weight and have found several ways. Depending upon the metal of the of the SP 01 will determine which weight I must meet. Does IDPA round up or down? For example if the weight limit is 39 oz does 39.4 oz still legal or must it be below 39 oz?

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by jam-man

In order for the SP-01 to be eligible to play in IDPA it needs to meet the SSP division weight of 39 oz or less with an empty magazine.

This is not that easy to accomplish. If you do, then you can play in SSP or ESP.

Most of the weight savings are achieved by getting lighter grips, either factory Walnut (which are not that easy to come by and don't show up as cataloged items). I took mine off my CZ 75 Tactical Sports. You can also get a pair of Alder wood grips from Denis Marschal. Also, to make weight use the 10 round magazine as it is much lighter than the 18 rd SP-01 magazine and the 16rd magazines.

I've got an older 2-slot SP-01 that has made weight with the 18rd magazine, but more recently I've been able to get my 3-slot (newer) SP-01 to make weight using the lighter 10 rd magazine, and just for fun I did get my SP-01 tactical to also make weight (using the 10rd magazine).

Good luck.

just my opinion here..

most pistols are chomemoly (carbon steel) stainless, titanium or polymer, or some combination..

making an assumption..the SP01 is a carbon steel frame..full length dustcover a no go for ESP. however if you can make the to weight of SSP it can compete in all other divisions it would qualify for..that is why making weight is important.

and just another opinion..it needs to be under 39 ounces..not 39. 1

but I'm a nobody...

Basically the rule book says this about guns with light rails: Guns that come with light rails straight from the factory may be used in IDPA competition AS LONG AS the gun still meets all division criteria. However, the light itself may not be used on the gun.

It does not say full length light rails, so is this a full length dust cover with a light rail on the bottom? I wish IDPA would just email me back and clear up the issue, before I spend money to solve a problem that may not exist. Has anyone ever contacted them to answer a question, if so did you get a response?

I have researched mags and grips for weight. It seems the 10 round mags and wood grips are the lightest. Is wood lighter than the aluminum?

its a full length dustcover on the gun with a light rail..

ESP rules state excluded modification ( they also mean this to be feature on the gun): Full length dustcovers of carbon or stainless steel.

but it also says :

Pistols approved for SSP may also be used in ESP and CDP depending upon caliber, even if the pistol in question has a full- length dust cover. However, should the pistol in question have a modification that removes it from SSP, it must meet all other division criteria for ESP or CDP, again depending upon caliber.

so if you make weight in SSP you can also shoot the SP01 in ESP.

the wood grips from Marshal are hollowed out inside to be lighter..he did this specifically for the SP01. Those are the lightest grips available.

Another point the IDPA rule book says this: EXCLUDED Modifications (NON-Inclusive list):

1. Full length dust covers of carbon or stainless steel.

The dust cover or light rail is not a modification so is it legal or not???????????????????

The rule book say nothing about the gun coming from the factor with a dust cover. I read the rule book several times and this is the only common sense conclusion I can come to. Guns with full lenght dust covers are legal if they are under weight requirments and come from the factory that way. I am missing something or do I need to hire an attorney?

Not tring to split hairs and game, just want to make sure I am legal. Thanks again for any help.

its a full length dustcover on the gun with a light rail..

ESP rules state excluded modification ( they also mean this to be feature on the gun): Full length dustcovers of carbon or stainless steel.

but it also says :

Pistols approved for SSP may also be used in ESP and CDP depending upon caliber, even if the pistol in question has a full- length dust cover. However, should the pistol in question have a modification that removes it from SSP, it must meet all other division criteria for ESP or CDP, again depending upon caliber.

so if you make weight in SSP you can also shoot the SP01 in ESP.

the wood grips from Marshal are hollowed out inside to be lighter..he did this specifically for the SP01. Those are the lightest grips available.

Thanks for the info, I was posting while your were replying. I will defentily check out the Marshal grips. I take it someone else has already agrued the modification point, looks like I am not the only one confused. Thanks again for your info.

full length dust covers are not allowed in ESP or CDP

IDPA sees the SP01 as a version of the CZ75 as it nomenclature is CZ 75 SP01, therefore the full length dustcover is a modification.

If the gun makes weight of SSP with dustcover it can compete in all relevant divisions.

I'm not trying to argue with you or convince you..I'm just trying to tell you that if you go to a major match with an SP01..you're going to get wieghed..and if you are not under 39 ounces you will shoot for no score..

that is one reason Springfield's new operator can compete, it's not full length...if CZ would import the 75 Combat II it would be good..

IDPA is very particular about their rules..

here on a local level...they have no problem with an SP01..its all about shooting and being safe.

I have also researched on shaving weight and have found several ways. Depending upon the metal of the of the SP 01 will determine which weight I must meet. Does IDPA round up or down? For example if the weight limit is 39 oz does 39.4 oz still legal or must it be below 39 oz.

The High cap mags weigh .4 more than the 10 rounders. I weighed a friends Angus Hobdell modified SP 01 and it weighed a flat 39 oz with a 10 round mag and 39.4 with a high cap. He will have to use the 10 round mags for IDPA to keep it at the max allowed weight.

Thanks again, looks I need to put the SP 01 on a diet and start part changing. Hopefully grips and 10 round mags will get me there. If not I guess I will work with the list that I saw that M. Minks post. I am not one to try to bend or break rules, that is why I want to have SP 01 right even for my local match. Thanks again for the info and wisdom you have shared. Looks like you went down this road some time ago.

I have also researched on shaving weight and have found several ways. Depending upon the metal of the of the SP 01 will determine which weight I must meet. Does IDPA round up or down? For example if the weight limit is 39 oz does 39.4 oz still legal or must it be below 39 oz.

The High cap mags weigh .4 more than the 10 rounders. I weighed a friends Angus Hobdell modified SP 01 and it weighed a flat 39 oz with a 10 round mag and 39.4 with a high cap. He will have to use the 10 round mags for IDPA to keep it at the max allowed weight.

Do you remember which mags? Was it the CZ 10 rounders?

FYI, The thin plastic CZ grips weigh virtually nothing.

When we are dealing so close to the weight limit, everything counts. I weighed a whole bunch of grips and believe it or not the plastic grips were still heavier than the light wood grips like the walnut and the alder grips from marschal.

You could be on the safe side and just shoot an 85 combat or a standard 75b that's tuned up. I prefer to shoot the SP-01 and I shoot IDPA and also want to stay within the rules, so I've been on the quest of getting my SP-01 with magazine to 39 oz. I've done it and say it can be done (of course with a little work).

I got my SP-01 Custom to 39 oz. with a 18 rd. mag, just by changing to the plastic grips. My dad has the same gun except has the LPA sights milled in, Marschal grips, and he still has to use the 10 rounders to make weight.

FWIW, another way to cut a little bit of weight is to use an XD basebad on the 18 round mag. Actually locks tighter than the factory ones and are .1 oz lighter.